It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia declares war on Ukraine. Live updates from inside Ukraine

page: 381
<< 378  379  380    382  383  384 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   
NATO Commander Offers Evidence of Russian Troops in Ukraine

** - Articles contains video - click link -

MOSCOW–Professional gun handling, well-trained maneuvers, and military-spec arms are among the reasons NATO’s top commander says the uprisings in eastern Ukraine are clearly “being carried out at the direction of Russia.”

In a blog post entitled “Who are the men behind the masks?” the Supreme Allied Commander in Europe, Gen. Philip Breedlove, offered the most detailed Western evidence to date that, despite Russia’s claims that the unrest there is an organic, local movement, it was instead the work of Russian troops posing as locals that orchestrated the apparently coordinated takeover of government buildings in eastern Ukraine that has plunged the fragile country into chaos.

“The pro-Russian ‘activists’ in eastern Ukraine exhibit tell-tale military training and equipment and work together in a way that is consistent with troops who are part of a long-standing unit, not spontaneously stood up from a local militia,” Breedlove wrote.

He specifically cited how the forces handled their weapons, used tear gas and stun grenades, and even how they man checkpoints as evidence that the troops are well-trained, not a civilian mob.

Click link for remainder of article / video

So you have Russian military inside Ukraine in civilian clothes fomenting dissent (not referring to uniformed w/ no insignia). They are playing with fire if they get caught. They could be summarily executed as spies under the Geneva conventions (nations in conflict / war).
edit on 18-4-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Sadly I think that the Ukraine is on it's own. No amount of proof that Russian Military has boots on the ground will change anything for them. It was no secret that the "Green Men" were Russian troops from day one.

Unfortunately harsh words are about all they can expect from the West. Putin will have to take a NATO country before people get tired of talking and start shooting. Until then it is looking like a military coup and takeover of the Ukraine is not just going to happen, it is going to happen without real challenge.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Could the Russian reading of the recent agreement include the interim government sitting in the Verkhovna Rada in the list of "illegal occupations" as Russia does not recognise them as the legitimate leadership?

If this is the case then Putin's and Lavrov's positions really aren't too far apart.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   

#Kharkov's realtors reported that most of apartments on this weekend are rented by athletic ppl with #russian passports @itsector | EMPR

#Ukraine's Armed Forces airborne troops impounded 2 of 6 armoured vehicles earlier seized in Kramatorsk. mil.gov.ua |DefenceUA

edit on 18/4/14 by asen_y2k because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: asen_y2k

I wondered what Russia was getting out of the deal in Geneva. The first summary I heard on the news made it sound like Ukraine, NATO, and the USA were getting everything they wanted and Russia was getting nothing. I knew that couldn't be right. Now I see it is a continuation of Putin's overall strategy.

Whatever one may think of Putin, he has done a pretty masterful job at trying to look like he is acting with restraint even while secretly fomenting civil unrest and revolution and then acting as if he has to send Russian troops or peacekeepers in to restore order. He invaded and annexed the Crimea almost effortlessly and with minimum bloodshed while making it look like it was the will of the people there. By agreeing to this Geneva deal that Russia apparently interprets in a different way than Ukraine, Russia will likely soon feel they can claim Ukraine did not honor the agreement. Putin will use that to justify sending more Russian military into Ukraine.

This is almost the opposite approach the USA and NATO have sometimes taken - fomenting civil unrest and revolution, heavily arming dissidents, and then often bombing countries into submission. Lots of bloodshed, serious destabilization and devastation.

I'm an American. I grew up during the worst of the Cold War. I don't agree with a lot of what America's leaders have done in other countries since the Cold War, but I also don't like seeing where this current situation could lead. Even I can see Putin is better at brinksmanship, power politics, and playing public opinion with a pretense acting justifiably. I don't think America's leadership understands Putin in the slightest if they still think diplomacy and sanctions will deter his ambitions. NATO seems to understand Putin better but seems scared to do much of anything. Like many bullies, Putin has interpreted diplomatic attempts to avoid confrontation as weakness and it is only emboldening him. Sometimes trying to avoid a fight, you make the fight inevitable.

Best wishes, Asen, stay safe. It doesn't look likely this is over. I hope that in some way this works out and you and your family are safe and have a good life.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   

BREAKING #Slavyansk's separatists announced that all people who speak #Ukrainian in this city are wanted pravda.com.ua/news/2014/04/1… | EMPR

More on that:

separatists announced the hunt for people who speak Ukrainian. Said the leader of the separatist Vyacheslav Ponomarev. He asked local residents to report "people's wife" on any suspicious individual in the city, "especially those who speak the Ukrainian language," the correspondent of "Ukrainian Truth" scene. Ponomarev also promised that the local media will publish a phone number to report "suspicious individuals". In addition, Ponomarev said that the city banned opposition political forces - "Blow," "Freedom," "Homeland" - and campaigning for them. The leader of the separatists reported that 22 April, the city held the "first meeting of the city council," and May 11 in the city to hold a referendum on federation and Russian. Earlier it was reported that the separatists Slavic admitted that is supported at the Mayor Helena Shtepa . Ukrainian Pravda

edit on 18/4/14 by asen_y2k because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Elysarian
Could the Russian reading of the recent agreement include the interim government sitting in the Verkhovna Rada in the list of "illegal occupations" as Russia does not recognise them as the legitimate leadership?

If this is the case then Putin's and Lavrov's positions really aren't too far apart.

One has to ask - Do we really think that during the negotiations no one bothered to clarify who the parties were that were talked about in the press release?

While I admit that is a possibility, I don't think it occurred. I don't think that many reps in one room could agree on specifics without identifying the groups in question.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   

and it starts... Here is the escalation that will force Kiev to "protect" Ukrainians, followed by Russian involvement.

Euromaidan PR ‏@EuromaidanPR · 13m
#Kharkov's realtors reported that most of apartments on this weekend are rented by athletic ppl with #russian passports @itsector | EMPR

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   

So when are you going to pack up and get the heck out of there? If they are rounding up Ukrainians in some areas it is time to leave.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Interesting developments in the case of Slavyansk mayor Nelya Shtepa:

Pravda.com.ua reports that a group of separatist gunmen are holding Mayor Nelyu Shtepa. The gunmen say that the mayor is resigning for health reasons.

Separatists captured mayor of #Sloviansk. But photo shows she feels no victim at all @GhrromadskeTV I EMPR pic.twitter.com/nLj3aMeFAA #Ukraine
4:55 AM - 19 Apr 2014

Also updates from Graham Phillips on Slavyansk

GrahamWPhillips @GrahamWP_UK Follow New vid, 'outer limits' checkpoint at #Sloviansk,taken over a police checkpoint,about 35km from Ukrainian positions-

Coming back into #Sloviansk, the closest entrance to the city from #Izium blocked by trees. #Ukraine #Russia pic.twitter.com/uoU29JkHJy

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

But looks like the deal was not written properly to avoid ambiguity. They may have talked but did not put it down in words.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Daniel Sandford ‏@BBCDanielS · 20m
Dmitry Peskov says some troops near the Ukrainian border were "sent as reinforcement against the backdrop of what is happening in Ukraine"

NATOSource ‏@NATOSource · 25m
.@janinedavidson:: Would Putin's use of Ukraine-type of infiltration in NATO territory trigger an Article 5 response? www.atlanticcouncil.org...

Al Arabiya English ‏@AlArabiya_Eng · 32m
#Russia confirms troops deployed near #Ukraine ara.tv...

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mamatus

So when are you going to pack up and get the heck out of there? If they are rounding up Ukrainians in some areas it is time to leave.

Thats in the far east, still ok here.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   

I feel for everyone living there. Glad you are far away.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Ukrainian MIA has found records payments for participation in Antimaydan:

uainfo.org...

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Euromaidan PR ‏@EuromaidanPR · 3m
#Czechs & #Ukrainians protested together in front of the Embassy of #Russia in #Prague www.facebook.com... … | EMPR pic.twitter.com/eWt99SGdI7

EU Crimean Tatar ‏@CrimeaEU · 6m
Confrontation with West over Ukraine Creating ‘New Russian Society,’ Kashin Says | The Interpreter www.interpretermag.com...

Euromaidan PR ‏@EuromaidanPR · 10m
#Russian saboteurs are massively arriving to #Odessa uainfo.org... … | EMPR #Ukraine pic.twitter.com/JmZSmHU0HU

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Latest from VICE -

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Russia Confirms Troop Build-Up Near Ukraine; Warns West, More Sanctions "Absolutely Unacceptable"

For the first time, Russia has confirmed that it has built up its military presence on the Ukrainian border (according to Agence France Presse). On the heels of the de-escalation and the West's threat of tougher sanctions (if Russia failed to abide by the new 'deal'), Kremlin spokesman Dmirty Peskov told Rossiya TV that "we have troops in different regions, and there are troops close to the Ukrainian border. Some are based there, others have been sent as reinforcements due to the situation in Ukraine." Reuters also reports that Washington statements "are unlikely to help dialogue," and further sanctions would be "absolutely unacceptable." It seems the 'deal' has done little to calm anything but the US equity market as Peskov blasted "You can't treat Russia like a guilty schoolboy."

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: asen_y2k

originally posted by: Mamatus

Thats in the far east, still ok here.

Just an observation Asen...
As you can see, this thread is infested with all sorts of low of the lowest propaganda with only one cause and that is to induce fear to mess with people's minds for various reasons.
My advice to you is not to pay to much attention to that.
There will be no war, it's not an option for any side, just psychological games which both sides play.
I know you can take care of your self and your loved ones if SHTF, BUT, it wont happen.
Keep the common sense.
Cheers

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Wookiep

The sanctions in question have moved beyond individuals and will target segments of Russia's economy.

top topics

<< 378  379  380    382  383  384 >>

join