It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia declares war on Ukraine. Live updates from inside Ukraine

page: 357
<< 354  355  356    358  359  360 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   
People blocking National Guard in Kramatorsk just before it all started yesterday

www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Pretty big on the Risk board too.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 09:02 PM
link   

dragonridr
So Putins whole we were just trying to save Russians excuse is blown to hell. The UN doesnt buy it at all Putin is effectively isolating Russia from the world talk about backfire i really think he thought he could come out of this smelling like roses.

If you look at the world today, Russia plays a part but its not a very big one.

Its almost as if Putin, despondent over the collapse of the Soviet Union, and by extension the decrease of Russian importance / influence on the world stage, is attempting to reshape the world pecking order within a short amount of time and doing so in a manner that would place Russia back at the top of the list.

What Putin has failed to understand is Russia is extremely important and the more it grows its economy and democratic institutions the more influence / importance they become. I was very optimistic every time I saw an article about the US and Russia working together, especially when it came to space matters as well as Middle East issues.

I still think Russia can play a positive role, however not with Putin at the helm. Knowing how independent the Russian soul is, why on Gods green earth would anyone think the US or Europe would invade Russia? The number of military units needed to subdue a population that large and that nationalistic does not exist. Plus there is no need for it, which is why I don't understand Putin's paranoia about NATO.

Putin is playing the 20th century game of cold war in the 21st century... It does not work..

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Looks like Russian propaganda is up and running again -

RT ‏@RT_com · 2m
Troops, APCs, helicopters, jets in eastern #Ukraine as operation starts (VIDEO, PHOTO) on.rt.com... pic.twitter.com/DMBRH8Fzwn

wow

United Nations ‏@UN · 8m
New @UNrightswire report on Ukraine: misinformation, propaganda & incitement to hatred need to be urgently countered: j.mp...

UN Human Rights

Ukraine: Misinformation, propaganda and incitement to hatred need to be urgently countered – UN human rights report

GENEVA (15 April 2014) – Misinformation, propaganda and incitement to hatred need to be urgently countered in Ukraine to avoid the further escalation of tension in the country, according to a UN human rights report* issued on Tuesday.

The report by the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights looks at the root causes of the protests that have taken place since November 2013, including corruption and widespread economic inequality, as well as the lack of accountability for human rights violations by the security forces and weak rule of law institutions. It also assesses the human rights situation in Crimea, including in the context of the 16 March referendum, and makes recommendations for the way forward.

“It is critical for the Government to prioritise respect for diversity, inclusivity and equal participation of all – including minorities – in political life,” said UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay.

“Facts on the ground need to be established to help reduce the risk of radically different narratives being exploited for political ends. People need a reliable point of view to counter what has been widespread misinformation and also speech that aims to incite hatred on national, religious or racial grounds,” she added.

The report, which is based on information collected during two missions to Ukraine in March by Assistant Secretary-General for Human Rights Ivan Šimonović and a team of UN human rights monitors on the ground since 15 March, analyses events up to 2 April. It also anticipates and draws parallels between what happened in Crimea and events currently unfolding in eastern Ukraine.

“In eastern Ukraine, where a large ethnic Russian minority resides, the situation remains particularly tense,” the report says. “It will be important to immediately take initial measures to build confidence between the Government and the people, and among the various communities, and reassure all people throughout Ukraine that their main concerns will be addressed.”

Excessive use of force by the Berkut special police and other security forces led to the radicalisation of the protest movement, the report found. “Violations related to the Maidan protests should be investigated and addressed in order to ensure accountability of perpetrators,” the report states.

Information gathered so far indicates that 121 people were killed in violence between December 2013 and February 2014. Most acts of severe beatings, torture and other cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment were reportedly attributed to the Berkut.

The political aspects of recent developments in Crimea, which Mr Šimonović visited on 21 and 22 March, are beyond the report’s scope. However, the report notes that the situation created before and after the referendum of 16 March, which the General Assembly concluded had “no validity”, raised a number of human rights concerns pertaining to freedom of expression, freedom of assembly and other civil and political rights.

The presence of paramilitary and so-called self-defence groups as well as soldiers without insignia, was not conducive to an environment in which the will of voters could be exercised freely, and the UN Human Rights’ Office delegation received many reports of vote rigging.

“A number of measures taken in Crimea are deeply concerning from a human rights perspective,” the report says. These include the introduction of Russian citizenship, making it difficult for those who opt to maintain their Ukrainian citizenship to stay in Crimea. “The current situation also raises concerns with regard to land and property ownership, wages and pensions, health service, labour rights, education and access to justice,” the report adds.

The authorities in Crimea should also publicly condemn all attacks or harassment against human rights defenders, journalists or any members of the political opposition, the report urges, and ensure full accountability for such acts, through prompt, impartial and effective investigations and prosecutions.

It is widely assessed that while there were some attacks against the ethnic Russian community, these were neither systematic nor widespread. There are also allegations that some participants in the protests and clashes in eastern Ukraine were not from the region, and that some had come from the Russian Federation.

“What is clear from our findings is that there is an urgent need to ensure full respect for the rule of law and human rights in Ukraine and thus guarantee the enjoyment of all human rights for all, including minorities,” Pillay said.

“The international community, including the UN, can play a role in supporting the creation of such an environment. My Office and its monitoring team can provide impartial and authoritative human rights assessments to contribute to establishing the facts, de-escalating tension, and paving the way for an environment that is conducive to the holding of free and fair elections on 25 May,” the High Commissioner noted.

Among the report’s recommendations to the Government of Ukraine:
•Ensure accountability for all human rights violations committed during the unrest.
•Ensure inclusivity and equal participation in public affairs and political life.
•Prevent media manipulation by issuing timely and accurate information.
•Combat intolerance and extremism.
•Implement as a matter of priority measures to effectively eradicate corruption.

Among the recommendations to the authorities in Crimea:
•Actively resolve cases of missing persons, grant access to places of detention.
•Take all measures needed to protect the rights of persons affected by the changing institutional and legal framework, including citizenship.
•Investigate all allegations of hate speech and media manipulation.
•Ensure the protection of the rights of all minorities and indigenous peoples.

Regular reports shall be issued by the Human Rights Monitoring Mission in Ukraine (HRMMU), with one forecast for 15 May that will examine in greater depth the situation in eastern Ukraine.

ENDS

* Full report available here: www.ohchr.org...

For further information and media requests, please contact Liz Throssell (+ 41 22 917 9434/ [email protected]) or Cécile Pouilly (+41 22 917 9310 / [email protected] ).

UN Human Rights, follow us on social media:
Facebook: www.facebook.com...
Twitter: twitter.com...
Google+ gplus.to/unitednationshumanrights
YouTube: www.youtube.com...
Storify: storify.com...
Check the Universal Human Rights Index: uhri.ohchr.org...

edit on 15-4-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   
A Visual Guide to Ukraine -NYTimes

Ukraine Crisis in Maps

A visual guide to the continuing conflict over Crimea and the country's east.
UPDATED APRIL 14, 2014

A pretty good graphic representation of the conflict.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Xcathdra

dragonridr
So Putins whole we were just trying to save Russians excuse is blown to hell. The UN doesnt buy it at all Putin is effectively isolating Russia from the world talk about backfire i really think he thought he could come out of this smelling like roses.

If you look at the world today, Russia plays a part but its not a very big one.

Its almost as if Putin, despondent over the collapse of the Soviet Union, and by extension the decrease of Russian importance / influence on the world stage, is attempting to reshape the world pecking order within a short amount of time and doing so in a manner that would place Russia back at the top of the list.

What Putin has failed to understand is Russia is extremely important and the more it grows its economy and democratic institutions the more influence / importance they become. I was very optimistic every time I saw an article about the US and Russia working together, especially when it came to space matters as well as Middle East issues.

I still think Russia can play a positive role, however not with Putin at the helm. Knowing how independent the Russian soul is, why on Gods green earth would anyone think the US or Europe would invade Russia? The number of military units needed to subdue a population that large and that nationalistic does not exist. Plus there is no need for it, which is why I don't understand Putin's paranoia about NATO.

Putin is playing the 20th century game of cold war in the 21st century... It does not work..

Putin is perfect for Russia, he has support from people, he has put Russia back on the map.
Economically and Militarily in a last 15 years. I know it is painful for you to watch that but they are back and White House is
not happy about it obviously.
edit on 15-4-2014 by cosmonova because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by cosmonova

Actually he was working on bringing them back and then went nuts and tore it all away. He just slid the entire country back to 1991 i guess he was nostalgic? As far as the White house they had been pushing for closer relations between Russia and the US well at least on the plus side we wont see another reset button.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   

cosmonova
Putin is perfect for Russia, he has support from people, he has put Russia back on the map.
Economically and Militarily in a last 15 years. I know it is painful for you to watch that but they are back and White House is

You don't get it and that is irritating. The west has no issues with a strong Russia... The issue is the need for Putin to live in a world that no longer exists. I would love for my country to shift the money we spend on defense over to our space / science programs. I would love to see the planet put funds towards programs to get us off this rock and see what else is in the universe.

Putin is not good for Russia nor the Russian people. Not with the mindset he currently has and the ambitions to rebuild a franken-nation that mimics the Soviet Union.

The only thing Putin has brought back is a failed nation / doctrine / mentality.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 09:38 PM
link   

dragonridr
reply to post by cosmonova

Actually he was working on bringing them back and then went nuts and tore it all away. He just slid the entire country back to 1991 i guess he was nostalgic? As far as the White house they had been pushing for closer relations between Russia and the US well at least on the plus side we wont see another reset button.

I would agree about White House pushing relations closer, actually too close, right at the Russia's front door.
1991? You are talking nonsense one more time, lol.
But since you are pushing for it I am looking forward to see Russian economy-1991 in numbers
and Russian economy-2013 in numbers.
I expect them to be either same or slightly different (I will be generous a bit).
Waiting now.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 09:38 PM
link   

MaidanOnline ‏@MaidanOnline · 27m
NAILS IT: "the Nigerian ambassador who chaired the Security Council session…saw right through the Russian pattern... fb.me...

Putin's Green Men with Masks

At Russia's request, the U.N. Security Council convened in emergency session on Sunday, April 13. The Russian pretext was that Ukraine's acting interim president had announced hours before that Ukraine would employ counter-terrorist operations with special forces and military personnel to neutralize the Russian separatist activities in some six Ukrainian cities, most recently Slovyansk and Kramatorsk in the Donetsk region. Ukraine's president stressed that the Russian pattern in eastern Ukraine was following the Russian land grab in Crimea and that Ukraine would not allow this.

Russia's U.N. Ambassador Vitaly Churkin's "modus operandi" was transparent. He had requested the Security Council session to put the world on notice that there an was ostensible pretext for what Russia might do next.

Click link for remainder of article.. An interesting read.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 09:42 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 09:42 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

I told you the UN has hit the point where they are calling Russia liers id say Russian reputation now means as much as a statement from Assad. No one believes a thing either say its a shame to i often thought Russians should be on the world stage they had a rough time but they were working on it. Maybe its just me being hopeful since i do have relatives there. Either way Ill tell you this not all Russians believe Putin is good for the country contrary to what RT tells you. There is Russians that see this for what it is unfortunately they dont have their own propaganda wing. But i will make a prediction watch this will be the downfall of Putin and his cronies after this is over because Russians arent going to be happy with the losses vs the gains.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 10:05 PM
link   

cosmonova

Xcathdra

cosmonova

You don't get it and that is irritating. The west has no issues with a strong Russia... The issue is the need for Putin to live in a world that no longer exists. I would love for my country to shift the money we spend on defense over to our space / science programs. I would love to see the planet put funds towards programs to get us off this rock and see what else is in the universe.

Putin is not good for Russia nor the Russian people. Not with the mindset he currently has and the ambitions to rebuild a franken-nation that mimics the Soviet Union.

The only thing Putin has brought back is a failed nation / doctrine / mentality.

I almost spit my coffee out after reading your second sentence. Please do not do that to me again.
Putin is good for Russia. Very good actually. As a mater of fact Putin is good for US as well.
Without Putin you guys would see the space only on TV.

Are you under the impression that russians are the only ones capable of reaching the international space station? Well there are two aAmerican companies that can start now there Boeing and of course SpaceX. but im guessing they didnt tell you this. If anything this is great for NASA see the US government has been funnelling money to Russia through NASA. Its was done to actually help the russian economy i mean who pays 70 million per astronaut. Spacex had offered to do it for less than a 100000 a seat. Because they were naive and didnt realize wny NASA paid so much because it was financial aid to help keep there space program operating.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   
People's Army volunteers preparing to leave Lugansk and help people in Slovynsk against Kiev's mercenaries.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Presidential candidate Tsarev, who was brutaly beaten in Kiev by nazi thugs, saying to his people that they are going to remove
fascism from Ukraine. I see him as a future leader of South Eastern area of Ukraine or whatever is going to be called.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 10:16 PM
link   

dragonridr

cosmonova

Xcathdra

cosmonova

I almost spit my coffee out after reading your second sentence. Please do not do that to me again.
Putin is good for Russia. Very good actually. As a mater of fact Putin is good for US as well.
Without Putin you guys would see the space only on TV.

Are you under the impression that russians are the only ones capable of reaching the international space station? Well there are two aAmerican companies that can start now there Boeing and of course SpaceX. but im guessing they didnt tell you this. If anything this is great for NASA see the US government has been funnelling money to Russia through NASA. Its was done to actually help the russian economy i mean who pays 70 million per astronaut. Spacex had offered to do it for less than a 100000 a seat. Because they were naive and didnt realize wny NASA paid so much because it was financial aid to help keep there space program operating.

a couple of my posts have been removed as they were not related to this thread so I will not reply to you on this one.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonridr

They also seem to forget about the X-37B.

And the fact ISS control is thru NASA.

What's irritating though is the fact the ISS is perfectly named - International Space Station.
It has an international crew that is made up of more than just Russia and the US.

The ISS should be kept completely separate from politics. I don't care if the US and Russia are in a shooting war, the ISS and its operations must be kept going without political influence. If neither side can recognize this then it needs to be turned over to a third party until the US and Russia can act like adults again.

top topics

<< 354  355  356    358  359  360 >>

join