It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia declares war on Ukraine. Live updates from inside Ukraine

page: 244
<< 241  242  243    245  246  247 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   

demus
reply to post by Hellas

talking about poking a bear...

And she seemed so nice..

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Hellas

demus
reply to post by Hellas

talking about poking a bear...

And she seemed so nice..

She did, right? I remember an interview she gave to CNN when this crisis started, and she actually seemed rather nice and reasonable.

But let's be honest, that is a private conversation, and all of us say a lot of crap when we think we aren't being listened to. lol

Although, in her place, being her (important political figure), I would assume that the phone-call wasn't "secured".

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by GarrusVasNormandy

Exactly.. It doesn't matter what I say to a buddy on the phone. But if I'm in the position to actually do some serious damage, propaganda or what have you, the whole scenario changes..
edit on 24-3-2014 by Hellas because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   

One difference is the US economy was very large at the time. Though it's hard to tell exactly where everyone stands given fiat currency has been around for so long and many of the goods traded are completely discretionary now days. To me the expansion and contraction of empires is like waves in the ocean with all of them eventually crashing on the shore to return out to sea. Who will be the next to rise we can only wait and see. Will it be Russia, will it be France if you know the answer please tell me in advance. Sorry I will be sensible now. I really don't think it will be France.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Ukraine Gives Russia Ultimatum to Free Officers

SIMFEROPOL, CRIMEA, UKRAINE — The government of Ukraine has given Russia an ultimatum to free Ukrainian generals and admirals who are being held in Crimea. The warning came at a press briefing by government officials in Kyiv on Monday.

In the meantime, Ukraine’s national security and defense secretary said more than 10,000 personnel are being ordered to mobilize.

I didn't see any "deadlines" in the articles like the last time this happened.. I doubt Russia will even acknowledge it, but we do have to wonder if the 10k troops being mobilized supposedly from Ukraine may actually fight this time..

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

An ultimatum usually has a Timeframe. I didn't find anything in the link

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

Ukraine is not in a position to issue any ultimatum, they are completely overwhelmed by swift and decisive actions of Russia.

starting the fight is the worst thing Ukrainian government and army could do.

unless their goal is to create complete chaos and provoke reaction from the West.

but that couldn't be true because it would be almost like a start of a world war...

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Hellas

Exactly.. It doesn't matter what I say to a buddy on the phone. But if I'm in the position to actually do some serious damage, propaganda or what have you, the whole scenario changes..

I wouldn't expect any less vitriol from a person in such a position on a so called private call, considering there is a man on a mission to take over a much larger portion of your country. Just imagine Churchills conversations among his cabinet members. I'd suspect his benevolent and normal calm behavior was thrown out the window while discussion how to deal with Hitler at the time.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by demus

I agree, their military would be smashed by Russian forces. It would not be wise for Ukraine to go on the offensive. On the other hand, if those Ukrainian troops stay on the Russian-made border as a defensive force, then the cards are in Putin's hands. I'm not sure how NATO, and specifically Poland would react, but it could set off a chain reaction if Russian troops start rolling into Ukraine proper. If Putin keeps advancing then he will be the culprit of a possible WWIII scenario.
edit on 24-3-2014 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Bearack

I also remember Germany launching a blitzkrieg, the precursor to shock and awe. If Ukraine is the one to use force first it will certainly cement my views on the situation. The nation is divided and she lost the last election. Her focus should be on winning the next election so another revolution isn't needed.

edition.cnn.com...
edit on 24-3-2014 by john452 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   
AFP are reporting that both Foreign Ministers from Ukraine and Russia are meeting right now at The Hague. I wonder how this will go? I suspect that Sergei Lavrov will probably tell his counterpart what he wants to hear and give him assurances and then go back on them with Russia advancing further into Ukraine soon. I hate to be cynical but the Russian government have lied so much during the past few months you can't believe them.
They have Russian Vodka on the table; it's a good sign! The "Happy" song from Despicable Me 2 springs to mind.
edit on 24-3-2014 by ProfessorT because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   

GarrusVasNormandy

DJW001

It would be terrible for Russia.

Oh yeah, because war with Russia would be a walk in the park to the U.S. forces. It's not like the US always avoided direct conflict with Russia...

All of the fighting will be taking place on the Black Sea.

...and that is a disadvantage to the Russians because...?

Russian sailors will die.

And American sailors ascend to Asgard to meet Odin and feast?

The moment Putin tries to go nuclear, his own generals will turn on him. Wouldn't you? Or do you believe that stroking Putin's ego is worth destroying all life on Earth?

You know, this might come as a surprise to you, but not everyone is a coward. There are people, especially the kind of people with the devotion needed to get to General, that will follow orders to the end.

You're talking about the people who burn their own houses, farms and factories for centuries as a military defense tactic, and you have doubts they would nuke your arse back to medieval ages? You seem very unaware of how russians think, and especially, how they see the West.

Sadly, so many posters on this thread sound like the naive Americans who thought the Afghans and Iraqis would greet them as liberators. Let's resume this discussion when the Black Sea Fleet is sinking and Crimeans rioting in the streets.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   

demus
reply to post by DJW001

about the generals:

US generals didn't have problem with using nuclear bombs on civilians, why do you think Russian generals would hesitate to use them in a situation?

The Americans have never used nuclear weapons against a nation that can retaliate in kind. Again, I ask you, would you unleash a global holocaust to appease one man's vanity?

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

that is a trick question, unnecessary and hypothetical.
but I don't have any doubt that such orders would be executed if they thought situation demands it.

you know, in the army; you don't ask questions, you follow the orders.

talking about the naive...

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   

demus
reply to post by DJW001

that is a trick question, unnecessary and hypothetical.
but I don't have any doubt that such orders would be executed if they thought situation demands it.

you know, in the army; you don't ask questions, you follow the orders.

talking about the naive...

Of course. That's why the crew of the Potempkin never mutinied.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Lavrov now live.. don't know how long

rt.com...

Press Conference ended. Some Topics I picked up

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

of course, take example of something that happened 100 years ago during revolution.

just keep oversimplifying everything, eventually you'll provide satisfying argument.

(also, we should go back to topic, don't catch any straws this time)

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   
As much as Russian diplomats present as if they want to enter dialogue with other countries over the current crisis it is quite clear they are not willing to change their stance on Crimea. I don't understand how Sergei Lavrov can say the takeover and ballot in Crimea was in line with international law and the UN Charter. The ballot was clearly illegal, not just because it was held under the presence of the Russian military in foreign territory but even the way ballot offices were set up, etc. Russia needs to be more diplomatic themselves rather than accusing the West of not wanting to engage. How about Vladimir Putin turns up at The Hague tomorrow? That would be a start.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   

DJW001

demus
reply to post by DJW001

about the generals:

US generals didn't have problem with using nuclear bombs on civilians, why do you think Russian generals would hesitate to use them in a situation?

The Americans have never used nuclear weapons against a nation that can retaliate in kind. Again, I ask you, would you unleash a global holocaust to appease one man's vanity?

Don't ask them that, it's not about vanity. They want to, and given a chance they will. Underneath all that filth is the expected; all they want is destruction. It's the natural process of degradation, like gangrene. The only way to deal with it is hygiene of the body, spirit and mind. When dirt invades - burn it out with fire. Burn the filth.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   

ProfessorT
As much as Russian diplomats present as if they want to enter dialogue with other countries over the current crisis it is quite clear they are not willing to change their stance on Crimea. I don't understand how Sergei Lavrov can say the takeover and ballot in Crimea was in line with international law and the UN Charter. The ballot was clearly illegal, not just because it was held under the presence of the Russian military in foreign territory but even the way ballot offices were set up, etc. Russia needs to be more diplomatic themselves rather than accusing the West of not wanting to engage. How about Vladimir Putin turns up at The Hague tomorrow? That would be a start.

Oh this is going to go to the Hague one way or another bet on it. And if its in court Russian excuses clearly violate international law. And im pretty sure this is going to court and im sure there will be penalties involved something tells me that Ukraine is going to get excused on paying any Russian debt.

top topics

<< 241  242  243    245  246  247 >>

join