It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia declares war on Ukraine. Live updates from inside Ukraine

page: 231
<< 228  229  230    232  233  234 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Hellas

Will they really? I doubt it - they may go up slightly but not rocket - supplies can be easily augmented from Norway and Qatar, to name just two who are in an immediate position to fill any gap. EU leaders are meeting this week to discuss precisely this. In the long run, gas can be bought from the USA and slightly further down the line, we can really go for it with fracking where the EU has massive reserves and more than enough to meet demand.

The EU is also entirely self sufficient in supplies of LPG - which with some minor modifications can easily replace natural gas.

All Russia has done is re-ignite a debate that went cold after 2008 - namely, can Russia be a trusted trading partner when it actively bullies it's neighbours. This is just going to hammer home the point that they cannot be trusted and will most likely lead to a cessation of good West/East relations and a new cold war, one that Russia is in no position to even begin, much less win.

It is ironic you say the EU is the bully here, when it is quite clearly the Russian's throwing their weight around and thinking they are untouchable owing to their gas supplies, which they have used to bully many countries in the past decade.

link   
reply to post by DJW001

Not a really fair comparison..

link   

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Hellas
reply to post by DJW001

Not a really fair comparison..

That's true. Nazi Germany had better health care.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Hellas
I raise you by Russia getting even more 'Crimeas' and NATO will shut it or face the mother of all wars

Haha, mother of all wars? Is that like Saddam's claim to give the Western forces the "mother of all battles"?

Russia's military is in no position to go toe to toe with NATO in a shooting war. Their only trump is the nuke option, which isn't really an option, so conventionally they would be smacked into next week. NATO has a 4-1 ratio of aircraft alone, excluded the fact that all NATO aircraft are far more advanced than their Russian counterparts and in land forces, Russia is outnumbered heavily and again, seriously outmatched in terms of capability. Let's not even get into Naval power, were Russia is woefully weak...

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

You say facts my friend only facts. Im still at a loss where all this support for the east came from and if these people have even lived or seen their politics and track record? Or do they just hate their lives in the west so they white wash our interest as inherently evil. They seem to write pretty good english to me, so i don't know whats going on here.

edit on 20-3-2014 by TechniXcality because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by TechniXcality

I'd have a guess and say that many are probably young, idealistic and lacking in real world experience or unaware of history. Either that, or the Kremlin has an army of staffers

Churchill summed it up nicely and I find this as a true statement anywhere I go

"If you're not a liberal (in this context, he meant left wing) by the time your 20, you have no heart - If you're not a Conservative by the time your 40, you have no brain"...

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Moscow retaliates with similar sanctions against US officials

Russia’s Foreign Ministry has published a reciprocal sanction list of US citizens. The list consists of 10 names, including Senator John McCain and Obama's leading adviser on international economics, Caroline Atkinson.

DETAILS TO FOLLOW

RT

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Hellas

Russia’s Foreign Ministry has published a reciprocal sanction list of US citizens. The list consists of 10 names, including Senator John McCain and Obama's leading adviser on international economics, Caroline Atkinson.

DETAILS TO FOLLOW

RT

And good luck with those endevors, i hope you understand Russia dose not want Western involvment and would shamefully remember the day if indeed it comes to that. I must ask where dose your sentiment and hatred for the west come from? Are you in a western country?

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Hellas

DETAILS TO FOLLOW

RT

Oh no!John McCain won't be able to spend all his rubles! ROFLMAO!

link   
reply to post by Hellas

And I'm sure Mr McCain and chums are just so devastated that they can no longer go to Russia....

I'm afraid it just is not the same. While the EU and the US can really hurt Russia with these types of sanctions, they will have little effect if done the other way. US and EU citizens do not keep much, if any, money in Russia and it is actually the other way around, with Russia keeping huge sums of cash in London and Cyprus - both EU members.

link   

Hellas

TechniXcality
reply to post by Hellas

I cant belive a commie is attacking my intelligence or stature of age. I say commie with the highest regards

You call me a commie based on my posts here and then wonder why anybody would attack your intelligence? Oh the irony..

You miss the humour are you that naive? Once again will you please tell me do you reside in a western country? I think it's relevant because i don't understand your symphathys or your interest, and would like them clearly stated as far as i can tell you acting just like Russia?
edit on 20-3-2014 by TechniXcality because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Treasury Sanctions Russian Officials, Members Of The Russian Leadership’s Inner Circle, And An Entity For Involvement In The Situation In Ukraine

If anyone wants to bother reading the details on the new sanctions on Russia, click the link above.

Putting aside the 16 people in the "inner circle", here's some info on the bank -

Bank Rossiya (ОАО АБ РОССИЯ) is the personal bank for senior officials of the Russian Federation. Bank Rossiya’s shareholders include members of Putin’s inner circle associated with the Ozero Dacha Cooperative, a housing community in which they live. Bank Rossiya is also controlled by Kovalchuk, designated today. Bank Rossiya is ranked as the 17th largest bank in Russia with assets of approximately $10 billion, and it maintains numerous correspondent relationships with banks in the United States, Europe, and elsewhere. The bank reports providing a wide range of retail and corporate services, many of which relate to the oil, gas, and energy sectors.

I'm sure Russia will be laughing at the 16 new people sanctioned, not sure about the bank.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Hellas
reply to post by DJW001

The mother of all wars has already begun. I pity the people of Crimea, who have no idea how badly they are about to suffer.

The ukraine will suffer because they think that the IMF is a good friend. They will suck them dry in a year!

Does no one remember what Stalin did to the Ukrainians during Holodomor? Talk about sucking them dry. Stalin nearly sucked them dry out of existence so you should understand why they want NOTHING to do with Russia. Russia is the killer of national resources. Look what they did to Aral Sea!

www.columbia.edu...

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   
It's fantastic watching Putin bully the US and EU over Crimea, all the while exposing Obama for the fraud he is

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   
That protecting the ethnic Russian's card is overused now. Russia can do bull # to EU . There are many alternate nations to provide interim assistance. I'm still not sure what Putin's agenda is. There's a hell lot anti Russian sentiment from most countries. Long term Russia is facing massive problems.Do they have some secret agreement plan with China lol ?

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Russian Foreign Ministry publishes tit-for-tat sanctions against US citizens over Crimea that includes:

Senator John McCain
President's Senior Adviser Dan Pfeiffer
Deputy National Security Adviser Benjamin Rhodes
Speaker of US House of Representatives John Boehner
Leading adviser on international economics Caroline Atkinson
Senator Harry Reid
Senator Mary Landrieu
Senator Dan Coats and two more officials
They are all barred from entering Russian Federation.

Russia's Foreign Ministry said:
There must be no doubt: We will respond adequately to every hostile thrust.

The Ministry reiterated that Russia has "repeatedly" stressed using sanctions is a "double-edged thing" and it will have a "boomerang" effect against the US itself.

Treating our country in such a way, as Washington could have already ascertained, is inappropriate and counterproductive.

Aljazeera

top topics

<< 228  229  230    232  233  234 >>

join