It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia declares war on Ukraine. Live updates from inside Ukraine

page: 228
<< 225  226  227    229  230  231 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Yusomad
Here, let me help you with that. But next time, make sure you know what is written under your avatar name, you are responsible for your posts.

Catacomb

So were the Germans, with a 10 to 1 kill ratio on the Eastern Front. It really doesn't matter when there are 100 Soviets, to each German.

Yes, the Germans did indeed kill more Soviets, than the Soviets killed Germans. In some battles, the kill ratio was indeed 10 to 1. It's historical fact, especially early on when entire Soviet units were overrun. But, my point was that it didn't matter, as the Soviet army was much larger.

It's a well established fact that the German army was more capable early on in the war, and it could be argued that this experience (from WW1, and early battles in Poland, and France), gave them a lead in that area that no other country could match, since they had been at war longer than any other European country, and in more battles, overall. The Soviets were devastated by Stalin's officer purges, and it affected them greatly early on. They did indeed recover, and as the war dragged on, they gained the same experience that the Germans already had.

In fact, the Germans were shocked when they invaded, and came across the T-34. That particular piece of armor was devastatingly effective against German armor, which was built for speed. It tore them to shreds, and inspired the design of Germany's best tank overall, the Panther. But, without the T-34, there never would have been a Panther.

The IL-2 Sturmovik was another amazing Soviet design. But, this isn't list wars, is it?

No one is trying to denigrate the Soviets. In fact, the Soviets were very capable by the end of the war. They just did not have the experience, that the Germans did. And, as I said, the kill ratios early on were grossly in favor of the Germans.

But, the Soviets won, in the end. None of this has anything to do with this thread, but you made a good effort at trying to paint me as something I'm not.
edit on 19-3-2014 by Catacomb because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   

bubab

GarrusVasNormandy

bubab

GarrusVasNormandy
The UK representative to the UN just compared what is happening in Ukraine/Crimea to what happened in 1930's, in a manner urging international action to stop it.

He also states that this is just not about Ukraine, that Russia is defying and disrespecting international law.

What else do you expect them to say? They have a script to read. That is their job at the UN, to narrate scripts.

I'm not expecting anything. I'm just narrating for those who can't watch the video. The scripted and usual parts I'm not mentioning.

...Lithuania also compared Russia actions to pre-WW2 tensions. Even referring that Ukrainians remember very well the deportations of their people to concentration camps, and asking who is going to be next.

A tune is starting to appear, and it isn't very nice. The West is diplomaticly cornering itself with such accusations and comparisons, IMO.

Can they not download the transcript and minutes from the UN site?

Sure, and they can travel to New York and put their ears to the door too...

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   

GarrusVasNormandy

bubab

GarrusVasNormandy

bubab

GarrusVasNormandy
The UK representative to the UN just compared what is happening in Ukraine/Crimea to what happened in 1930's, in a manner urging international action to stop it.

He also states that this is just not about Ukraine, that Russia is defying and disrespecting international law.

What else do you expect them to say? They have a script to read. That is their job at the UN, to narrate scripts.

I'm not expecting anything. I'm just narrating for those who can't watch the video. The scripted and usual parts I'm not mentioning.

...Lithuania also compared Russia actions to pre-WW2 tensions. Even referring that Ukrainians remember very well the deportations of their people to concentration camps, and asking who is going to be next.

A tune is starting to appear, and it isn't very nice. The West is diplomaticly cornering itself with such accusations and comparisons, IMO.

Can they not download the transcript and minutes from the UN site?

Sure, and they can travel to New York and put their ears to the door too...

Interesting, I would have thought, minutes for public broadcasted and reported meetings are transcripted.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   

bubab
I have waited days for somebody to post a picture of a very unhappy voter in Crimea with a barrel of a gun (or tank) to their heads.

What do I get, fireworks, flag waving, tears of joy and happyness and partying.

Clearly your naive

If NATO went a took it back for Ukraine you would see thousands of Tatars and Ukrainians along with Russian speaking Ukrainians cheering on the streets to there liberators

I guess you never had history lessons in your country specifically on WWII history

Perhaps this rings any bells?

Perhaps NATO could even flood the country with more Ukrainians from up North to pretend they're Crimean and then vote in a new referendum to win a landslide 400%

Your post is so ignorant it like you have forgotten Crimean was invaded

Go look up the word, influencing
edit on 19-3-2014 by TritonTaranis because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   
The following report has been translated:

In Crimea, a group of unknown tonight attempted to take by storm in the territory of a military unit А-4515 "Belbek"

It was informed in the press service of the military unit, according to espresso.TV with reference to "RBC-Ukraine".

According to the report, a group of unknown persons attempted to infiltrate into the territory of the parts using a light noise grenades.

"The soldiers at the post opened fire, causing the provocateurs retreated from the border territory of"-said the press service.
Espreso TV

If this is true it will be the first time the Ukrainian army have opened fire. This could of course be propaganda from Ukraine - a false report. However, suspicion will fall on the Russian troops immediately if this report can be verified independently. I will try and look for more sources.
edit on 19-3-2014 by ProfessorT because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I say.. let Svoboda party get their nuclear weapaons they want..

Then.. the world will turn on them in a flash and Ukranians everywhere world wide will have very unhappy lives.

So , please, let Svoboda party get the nukes they crave.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   

An Ukrainian naval officer, right, passes unidentified armed men as he leaves the naval headquarters of Sevastopol. Three Russian flags were flying at an entrance to Ukraine's naval headquarters in the Crimean port of Sevastopol as pro-Russian forces took control of at least part of the base without armed resistance. Photo: Vasily Fedosenko/Reuters

link

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I have checked and can't see this posted

Ukraine's government is preparing to evacuate its remaining military personnel and their families from the breakaway region of Crimea now that Russia has moved to annex the territory.

Andriy Parubiy, the secretary of Ukraine's National Security and Defense Council, didn't provide details on the mechanisms or timing of the plan, however.

"We're working on a plan to quickly and effectively move not only the military personnel, but first of all their family members, to continental Ukraine," Mr. Parubiy told a media briefing in Kiev. He added that 25,000 places had been reserved for such transfers altogether.

A Ukrainian Defense Ministry spokesman in Crimea, however, said Wednesday evening that he had received no word yet of any order to evacuate.

Early in the day, pro-Russian forces in Crimea had stormed Ukraine's naval headquarters and allegedly detained the base's commander, sparking an ultimatum from Ukraine's acting president that the country would take "appropriate measures" if he and others weren't released.

www.zerohedge.com...

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Im2keul

What happens when you humiliate the armed forces of a nation? The nation becomes 'revanchist.' Does Russia need another revanchist state on its borders?

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

I read that article a bit ago and wasn't sure either. I was just reading this article about Obama stating military involvement is off the table.

U.S. President Barack Obama said in a Wednesday interview direct American military involvement in Ukraine is off the table

link

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   

DJW001
reply to post by Im2keul

What happens when you humiliate the armed forces of a nation? The nation becomes 'revanchist.' Does Russia need another revanchist state on its borders?

When I saw that pic, all I could think of was how humiliating that must be.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Latest from the Russian Roulette series from Vice...

This one shows some of what's happened since the referendum...

ALERT : Some extreme language and visual hand signs at the link below
www.youtube.com...

Military looks calm as they have been during the series so far, agitators though seem emboldened..

edit on Wed, 19 Mar 2014 19:53:39 -0500 by JacKatMtn because: Apologies, I had to remove the embed since the clip shows a person flipping the bird along with some unsavory language..

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   

bubab
I say.. let Svoboda party get their nuclear weapaons they want..

Then.. the world will turn on them in a flash and Ukranians everywhere world wide will have very unhappy lives.

So , please, let Svoboda party get the nukes they crave.

Well i dont think you want that since it sounds you bought into propaganda. If they got nukes the first person they would use it on would be russia you know the people invading there country. You know maybe you have a point maybe they should get one it would teach Putin a lesson as Moscow was set alight by pissed of Ukrainians.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   

DJW001
reply to post by Im2keul

Yeah especially with Poland right next store that already hates Russians hes creating a very hostile area towards Russia. And not making friends in the rest of the world talk about isolating your people. Well maybe thats his plan after all he may just think hes stalin.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Splodge

Dolby_X
another empty red line

President Obama on Ukraine: Going forward we can calibrate our response based on whether Russia chooses whether to escalate or de-escalate -

Russia has gotten what it wanted. Dipomacy has been restored between Russia and the US. US puppets still in control of Ukraine, which is fine with Putin, let them eat Neo Nazi, not his problem. So everything should return to business as usual now.

Told you. Sorry, had to do it.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I remember my folks telling me about how the cold war got so serious with USSR at the time. I was talking to my folks about it again I picked up the paper for them and the first thing they said was the world better keep keen eye on that Putin he's means business when it comes to land grabbing.

Apparently this reminds them the build up of the cold war when they was my age.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Covelle

Back in the days when it was a simple case of us against them and the world was safely (mostly) held in balance. Many foreign policy analysts yearn for those times.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Im2keul

An Ukrainian naval officer, right, passes unidentified armed men as he leaves the naval headquarters of Sevastopol. Three Russian flags were flying at an entrance to Ukraine's naval headquarters in the Crimean port of Sevastopol as pro-Russian forces took control of at least part of the base without armed resistance. Photo: Vasily Fedosenko/Reuters

link

edit on 20-3-2014 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Looks like Russia already has a plan in place in case Ukraine decides to sabotage the gas supply -

Russia will ensure Crimea has a constant power supply by providing back-up sources and controlling fuel reserves, Energy Minister Alexander Novak has said "The Energy Ministry of Russia, together with the Crimean government and the administration of Sevastopol, have worked out a plan of action to improve the reliability of the power supply infrastructure," Novak said in a statement on Thursday. "A need has been identified for back-up power sources in case the energy system suffers technical failures." [Reuters]

Aljazeera

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Ukrainian navy chief freed in Crimea

A Ukrainian navy commander and several other hostages detained by Crimean authorities yesterday have been released.

A Ukrainian military spokesman said Admiral Sergiy Gayduk had been driven away from a navy compound in Russian-controlled Crimea by what appeared to be Russian special forces.

Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu asked the authorities in Crimea this morning to free the detained hostages and allow them safe passage out of the region.
It appears that these deadline ultimatums set by the Ukrainian government last night were just hot air as not a great deal happened. I found the above article and thought this was quite significant since it says the Russian Defence Minister asked authorities to release those who were detained as well as the mention of Russian Special Forces. Seriously, the Russian government don't seem to communicate well with regards to covering up the use of Russian troops in Crimea.

new topics

top topics

<< 225  226  227    229  230  231 >>

join