It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia declares war on Ukraine. Live updates from inside Ukraine

page: 225
<< 222  223  224    226  227  228 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by MyMindIsMyOwn

Yes, you are correct and I understand this wasn't decided last night or something like that.

I just think it's odd the insistence on the matter. Especially considering that Crimea is not at all cut off from Russia in terms of transport arteries.

If this whole mess with Crimea hadn't happened, it would be mundane. But I tend to see things differently now, and I was actually one of the people watching this coming more than a year ago when a tiny crisis erupted between Russia and NATO due to the missile defense system in Poland, and discussions about Ukraine being a part of it.

Especially if you consider that they want it done by year end.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   
This might have been talked about already so my apologies in advance, however, one of the reasons why Khrushchev gave Crimea to Ukraine was for economic reasons as Ukraine would be building and maintaining the hyrdo dam that would power Crimea while also building and maintaining the gas network into Crimea.

We already know that Russia came in and took control (In Ukraine mind you) of a gas plant that feeds Crimea. Dnieper Hydroelectric Station is located deep in Ukraine (relatively speaking) so for Russia to drop in paratroopers to ensure the power remains on would and could be considered and invasion force (not that the Crimea thing isn't).

Granted, Russia could redirect resources to make sure Crimea is sustained, but that could take several months. So if anything, I think if Ukraine opts to cut of Crimea with power, Russia will use this as a reason to invade the East and South part of Ukraine and put it under the Russian Federation banner of protection.

Thoughts?

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   
So if kiev cutsoff power supply to Crimea since its Russian territory now, will that invite Russian retaliation ?

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Foxtrot7x
So if kiev cutsoff power supply to Crimea since its Russian territory now, will that invite Russian retaliation ?

That would be my opinion as since they consider Crimea Russian, then it could be considered an act of war...

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I think people are making too much of the bridge.
Strategically it would be one of the first things that would get sabotaged/blown up if military conflict broke out. And given the kind of bridge being proposed, it is going to take a good couple of years to construct....the bridge is a moot subject IMHO.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Bearack

Foxtrot7x

That would be my opinion as since they consider Crimea Russian, then it could be considered an act of war...

Again...given the way Putin has responded NOT to the so called sanctions, I think he'll more or less say fair enough...Crimean power supply is Russia's responsibility now.....but how about we cut off our supply to you Ukraine given that you owe us billions already for the gas you have consumed? Ukraine would be 'cutting off their own noses to spite their own faces'.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Russia green lights road and rail bridge to Crimea

The long delayed Kerch Strait Bridge project, which would connect the Crimean peninsula and mainland Russia, has been given a green light, with President Putin saying the bridge would provide both road and rail links.
“We need both automobile and railway bridges,” the President said about the Kerch Strait Bridge.

RT

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   

angelchemuel

Bearack

Foxtrot7x

Again...given the way Putin has responded NOT to the so called sanctions, I think he'll more or less say fair enough...Crimean power supply is Russia's responsibility now.....but how about we cut off our supply to you Ukraine given that you owe us billions already for the gas you have consumed? Ukraine would be 'cutting off their own noses to spite their own faces'.

Rainbows
Jane

By that same token (and this would NOT be wise on Ukraines part) the majority of Russian European gas lines run directly through Western Ukraine. Also remember, Ukraine is sitting on huge stockpiles of Natural gas reserves themselves but are not fully optimizing their output.

If I was a betting man, I'd suspect that Europe is in heavy discussion with the new management right now looking at getting Ukraine up to speed so not to be so dependent of Russian gas. Especially those Baltic nations.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   
@rainbow Jane - doesn't Ukraine have their own internal power production ? Nuclear energy ?

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Foxtrot7x
@rainbow Jane - doesn't Ukraine have their own internal power production ? Nuclear energy ?

They have 5 such plants.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   
US warship Truxtun begins naval exercise in Black Sea

"There are many reasons for exercises with allies, it allows us an opportunity to assure our NATO allies that we support them," Shawn Eklund, a public affairs officer for US Naval Forces Europe, told Reuters.

RT

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Hellas
US warship Truxtun begins naval exercise in Black Sea

"There are many reasons for exercises with allies, it allows us an opportunity to assure our NATO allies that we support them," Shawn Eklund, a public affairs officer for US Naval Forces Europe, told Reuters.

RT

As long as they follow these rules, what's the problem?

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   
This video is from the Ukrainian Navy base in Sevastopol which was stormed by alleged 'pro-Russian' men. You can see in the video that these agent provocateurs break down parts of the perimeter fence in order to gain access and then make their way through a building.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   

16:35: "The government will take adequate steps unless all provocations against Ukrainian servicemen end, and Admiral Hayduk and other hostages - both military and civilian - are freed by 21:00 (19:00 GMT)," the Ukrainian president has warned.

16:33: BBC Monitoring reports: Ukraine's Interim President, Olexander Turchynov, has given the authorities in Crimea three hours to release "all hostages", including Ukrainian navy chief Serhiy Hayduk, Unian news agency reports.
BBC News

It looks like Ukraine is basically declaring war on Russia as Russia will not bow to their demands. This is big news. I can't see Russia stopping their behaviour or releasing those soldiers and journalists who have been kidnapped. The report below has been translated from Unian.

Acting President of Ukraine, Verkhovna Rada Chairman Oleksandr Turchynov gave the self-proclaimed authorities of Crimea three hours to release all the hostages and an end to provocations on the peninsula. He put the Crimean separatists an ultimatumAs reported by the UNIAN's Press Secretary, Chairman of the Verkhovna Rada, according to Turchynov, today during the regular provocation of the armed forces of the Russian Federation was taken hostage, the Commander of the Ukrainian Navy Rear Admiral Sergey Haiduk."This is not the first illegal capture of military and civilians in Crimea," he said and added that the working group headed by first Vice Prime Minister Vitaly Yarema and acting Defense Minister Igor Tenûhom, which flew to the Crimea in order to solve all the problems, the self-proclaimed power of autonomy failed to land the plane. "The Russian military has refused to hold talks on ending the provocations and the release of the hostages, citing armed units and the decision of the self-proclaimed Government of Crimea," said Turchinov. In addition, he said that the Russian military and the self-proclaimed Government of Crimea have already warned: "if to 21.00 will not be halted all provocations against the Ukrainian troops and Admiral Gaiduk and all the other hostages, both military and civilian, will not be released, the Government adequate measures would be taken. "Including technical and technological problems," explained Turchinov.
Unian
edit on 19-3-2014 by ProfessorT because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by ProfessorT

i say we push them back. regain control and put an American embassy with a big red white and blue on the border with russia just to remind them. this is sillyness they are obviously afraid to fire shots because they know the hammer will come down. reminds me of japan and china shooting water guns at eachother over some island. there is no power shift occuring russia knows full and well America's capabilitys far outwiegh theirs and furthmore if blood is shed it will provoke America to use its military might. This little take over wont last long and America should honour it's treaties.
edit on 19-3-2014 by TechniXcality because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   

"if to 21.00 will not be halted all provocations against the Ukrainian troops and Admiral Gaiduk and all the other hostages, both military and civilian, will not be released, the Government adequate measures would be taken. "Including technical and technological problems," explained Turchinov.

Wonder what that could mean. Hacking? Satellite jams?
edit on 19-3-2014 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Wookiep

"if to 21.00 will not be halted all provocations against the Ukrainian troops and Admiral Gaiduk and all the other hostages, both military and civilian, will not be released, the Government adequate measures would be taken. "Including technical and technological problems," explained Turchinov.

Wonder what that could mean. Hacking? Satellite jams?

That means destroy gazproms gaslines through Ukraine...

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1972

Good one, I should have thought of that. Well that wouldn't be smart IMO. All it would do is give Putin an excuse to advance into the mainland..

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

advance by walking in giving high fives and taking shots of vodka, this is a farce laughable invasion. I really am going to appreciate the outcome i know it dosen't shake well for russia

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by TechniXcality

I agree it has been quite pathetic.. Ukraine knows it can't take Russia without outside support, it really would be suicide if they attempted to invade Crimea. Still, they should take their active 50k+ troops and plant them right on the border as a defensive measure if they want Russia to take them somewhat seriously.

new topics

top topics

<< 222  223  224    226  227  228 >>

join