It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia declares war on Ukraine. Live updates from inside Ukraine

page: 224
<< 221  222  223    225  226  227 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 04:14 AM
link   

angelchemuel
reply to post by trinityschild

I'll have to go looking for it, but late last night I came across a reputable source that Netenyahu had said US had not been tough enough over what's happened in Crimea, it sounded like a 'veiled threat' and I can't remember the details, but somehow it was linked to Syria.....I'll see if I can find it. I know it worried me a bit when I read it.

Rainbows
Jane

Remember reading something too, but unsure if it was the yahoo. Dig dig!!

Add: so it was him...
edit on 201400000030201403am19 by Yusomad because: Add

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Count on Israel to take a tough stand. I like that about em. No b.s..

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Here we go. Netenyahu met with Obama on Monday.....

www.nytimes.com...

"Oh the tangled webs we weave, when we practice to deceive".....
Rainbows
Jane

So on Tuesday we get this....

The United States Tuesday suspended operations of the Syrian Embassy in Washington D.C. and two other consulates telling diplomats and staff who are not U.S. citizens to leave the country. U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry says the time has come

www.reuters.com...

Mhm........
I think Putin knows the US have too much on their plates, and everything is inter-connected.....meanwhile back OT....

edit on 19-3-2014 by angelchemuel because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 05:17 AM
link   

At the cabinet meeting Yatsenyuk asked his first vice PM Vitaliy Yarema and Defence Minister Ihor Tenyukh to fly to Crimea immediately to de-escalate the crisis and try to prevent the conflict from turning into a military one.

The officials are on their way to the airport now.
by Philippa Stewart 5:36 AM

↑ 0

Followed by:

Crimean Prime Minister Sergei Aksyonov said on Wednesday that senior Ukrainian officials dispatched to the region by the government in Kiev amid tension between military forces would not be allowed to enter, Russian news agency Interfax reported.

"They are not wanted in Crimea. Nobody will let them into Crimea, they will be sent back," Interfax quoted Aksyonov as saying.

[Reuters]
by Philippa Stewart 5:51 AM
↑ 0

Al Jazeera Live Blog

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by MyMindIsMyOwn

I'd be very surprised if that situation doesn't change. I might be wrong, but I suspect Putin will be advising "keep your enemies closer....talk with them"
We'll see.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 05:47 AM
link   

angelchemuel
reply to post by MyMindIsMyOwn

I'd be very surprised if that situation doesn't change. I might be wrong, but I suspect Putin will be advising "keep your enemies closer....talk with them"

Well, only time will tell. But if that is the case, then the Kremlin better be on the 'red phone' asap with Aksyonov telling him to shut up and let them in. I don't know for sure but I don't think it takes long to fly from Kyiv to any Crimean airport.

NOTE THIS IS AN ASIDE: I saw that report about the US expelling Syrian diplomats yesterday as well. First, all top level diplomats had already gone, a while ago. These were low level staffers and the like, so while interesting, don't read too much into it. Second, that may have been a token nod to Israel in 'support' because it was reported yesterday that Syria had lobbed some rockets over the Israel border injuring several,maybe killing 1 IDF member. Just keep those things in mind.

Back on topic.

Unconfirmed reports coming in that the gates of Novozyornoe base have been rammed down by a tractor being driven by pro-Russian forces.

Ukrainian soldiers remain inside for now.

More soon.

by Philippa Stewart 6:25 AM
↑ 0

Al Jazeera

edit on 19-3-2014 by MyMindIsMyOwn because: Not enough coffee and suffering from fat finger syndrome

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 05:51 AM
link   
There are further unconfirmed reports from Al Jazerra that a second Ukrainian Navy base is being stormed by pro-Russian forces in Novozyornoe. The brief report says that they rammed the gates with a tractor. No other sources yet but it is being reported by Al Jazeera. As for the Navy Headquarters which was stormed earlier, the Ukrainian soldiers are leaving and being searched on their way out.
edit on 19-3-2014 by ProfessorT because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by ProfessorT

I feel sorry for the Ukranian soldiers left/stranded in Crimea as they are getting no direction from Kiev. Secondly, as one of my earlier posts, Putin has made it very clear where Russia stands on Ukranian soldiers in Crimea. So no doubt the Ukranian soldiers are standing their ground and Russian soldiers (I don't want to get into the argument whether the secession was legal or not) can now leave the bases they were 'protecting' and get them 'orff of their land'.

It's that grey area while the dust settles, and I sincerely hope it is done amicably and diplomatically.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 06:30 AM
link   
I don't know if someone has posted this already or not, jumped a page or two.

But this video shows how this whole mess isn't as black and white as it seems. At least, this is not the proper behavior I expect from a government that supposedly arrived to power to solve things and bring peace, not by doing things like these:

Members of Svoboda barged their way into the offices of Aleksandr Panteleymonov, the acting president of the National Television Company of Ukraine on Tuesday night.

They were angry that public broadcaster, First National Channel, had broadcast the Russian Parliament signing a treaty with Crimea on Tuesday.

For your "amusement", and like is stated in the video, that blond guy with the pony-tail is the MP for Freedom of Speech. Kinda of ironic, isn't it?

All this because they allowed the broadcast of the signing of the treaty. Freedom of press works for good and bad news, and it worries me a bit to see Russia acting tough, and this type of mentality inside of Ukraine opposing Russia.

I'm not so sure the West should be siding - or at least supporting - these guys. Ukraine, yes. But not these guys. Bare in mind, the people shown in this video are the ones calling the shots in Ukraine as we speak.
edit on 19-3-2014 by GarrusVasNormandy because: added paragraph

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 06:30 AM
link   

angelchemuel

I feel sorry for the Ukranian soldiers left/stranded in Crimea as they are getting no direction from Kiev. Secondly, as one of my earlier posts, Putin has made it very clear where Russia stands on Ukranian soldiers in Crimea. So no doubt the Ukranian soldiers are standing their ground and Russian soldiers (I don't want to get into the argument whether the secession was legal or not) can now leave the bases they were 'protecting' and get them 'orff of their land'.

It's that grey area while the dust settles, and I sincerely hope it is done amicably and diplomatically.

Rainbows
Jane

What a lovely post shows the true heart of ats that even amongst all the beating of chests and baying for blood that someone has a thought for these people who are being left in a state of medieval siege.

Although I doubt anyone will follow the laws of chivalry from these times. I think the orders from Kiev will be to stand your ground and be the martyrs your country demands of you in order to show Putin that this will not stand.

I would say to the House as I said to those who have joined this government: I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat. We have before us an ordeal of the most grievous kind. We have before us many, many long months of struggle and of suffering.

Winston Churchill

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Last night Britain suspended and canceled all of their military cooperation with Russia. Which rang a few bells because it's when nations start closing those lines of communication that bigs things might happen.

This back-turning action means that they do not have a trust relationship anymore, which means that the flow of information drops and misunderstandings are more vulnerable to consequences. During the Cold War we had a lot of episodes where a small military action or even error was viewed by the other side as a preparation for an attack.

Then... Today, you get this:
France may cancel Russian warship order over Crimea

As Russia moved to annex Crimea, defying the US and Europe, French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius said France would consider cancelling a €1.2 billion contract to sell the Russian Navy two Mistral helicopter carriers.

---

Some other relevant comments and info:

14:41 Russia's strategic submarine forces guarantee Russia's security - commander-in-chief of Russian Navy (interfax.com)

Western states violated promise to respect Ukraine's sovereignty under 1994 agreement by 'indulging coup d'etat' in Kiev-@Reuters

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 07:13 AM
link   

15:43
Constitutional Court found intl treaty on joining Crimea to Russia in line with Constitution - Zorkin (interfax.com)

Putin already winning hearts and wallets in Crimea:

15:31
Putin orders increase of Crimean pensions to Russian levels

And this caught my attention:

15:28
Russian Transport Ministry plans to choose best project to build Kerch Bridge by yearend

15:16
Bridge over Kerch Strait should carry motor, railroad transport - Putin (interfax.com)

I understand the need to start working on the russialization Crimea, but announcing a new bridge, the following day after the treaty being signed? Seems odd to me.

Might be a little paranoia on my side, but the only reason I see in the the urgency to build the bridge, is to prepare an invasion. If you don't have a powerful logistic air-force, railroads and highways are the best option for massive military movements.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by GarrusVasNormandy

Might be a little paranoia on my side, but the only reason I see in the the urgency to build the bridge, is to prepare an invasion. If you don't have a powerful logistic air-force, railroads and highways are the best option for massive military movements.

It is called a hearts and mind campaign.

First you take over, do something nice like raise the Pensions and then you give something that the previous guys have had on the books for the past decade. You show the people some good old fashion love and goodwill!

Papa Putin makes like Papa Smurf!

Crimea is no longer "that funny bit on the bottom" it is now the center of attention.

It may also be a signal that Putin does not intend to advance further, Since if he did, he would not need the bridge!

P

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Bellor
Russia is simply putting in place the legal framework under which military action can be sanctioned efficiently as possible if the need rises. It also serves as a stark warning that if Ukrainian military forces attempted to secure positions in the Crimea it would risk facing perfectly legal retaliation from a military near infinitely more capable.

"Legal retaliation" from an "illegally occupying force" against an Ukranian army defending Ukranian territory....Jesus what are you Putin lovers smoking !!!

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 07:42 AM
link   

@Reevellp - "Officer at Ukrainian base at #Evpatoria says large number of Russian troops preparing to storm them."
There was another Tweet similar to the one above last night and nothing happened so don't be surprised if this is someone just trying to gain more followers on Twitter. The source is a freelance journalist according to his Twitter profile. I'll try and look for some official confirmation. It does appear today that Russian forces are staging targeted attacks on Ukrainian military bases judging by other reports.
edit on 19-3-2014 by ProfessorT because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Just like I thought. The "truce" until March 21st is a farce. The troops in Ukraine are sitting ducks to these type of attacks, and who is there to stop it and honor this "truce."

They received orders to use arms to defend themselves, but surely they know that's suicide because they are outnumbered and outgunned and it will break the "truce."

Irony...

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by GarrusVasNormandy

Russia has been talking about that Kerch Bridge construction long before there was even talk of a Crimean referendum, interestingly enough. Here is a n article from The Moscow Times dated 3/4/14 you may be interested in reading.

Key points I found interesting being:

Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev on Monday ordered state-road building corporation Avtodor, or Russian Highways, to create a subsidiary company that will oversee the building of a bridge across the Kerch Strait, connecting Crimea with Russia's Krasnodar region.

In December 2013, Russia and Ukraine signed a series of bilateral agreements, one of which was dedicated to the construction of the bridge, and despite the collapse of working-relations between Moscow and Kiev over the current crisis in Ukraine, Medvedev expects the deals to be honored.

Negotiations about the bridge are long-running and date back to 2004 when they were halted due to political reasons. They got back under way again in 2010.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Authorities in Crimea denied entry to Ukraine's defense minister and another official Wednesday when they tried to travel to the peninsula to defuse tensions, a Russian news agency reported, as militiamen stormed the Ukrainian navy's headquarters and took it over.

The several hundred militiamen who captured the base in Sevastopol didn't meet any resistance. Sevastopol is also the home port of Russia's Black Sea Fleet, and tens of thousands of Russian-led troops are now patrolling Crimea.

It came a day after a confrontation between Ukrainian soldiers and pro-Russian militia left two dead.

This was posted about 10 minutes ago.

abcnews.go.com...

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by majesticgent

Well i don't see why they should have granted him access..

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 08:56 AM
link   

pheonix358

It is called a hearts and mind campaign.

First you take over, do something nice like raise the Pensions and then you give something that the previous guys have had on the books for the past decade. You show the people some good old fashion love and goodwill!

Papa Putin makes like Papa Smurf!

I will give you that if you were referring to the fact Putin ordered pensions to be raised in Crimea to Russian levels. But not regarding the bridge. That sounds too strategic.

It may also be a signal that Putin does not intend to advance further, Since if he did, he would not need the bridge!

P

I disagree. A bridge would facilitate an invasion towards the West/North, and would simplify transports to the Black Sea ports in Crimea.

He appears to be building a road, not parking his car, IMO.

new topics

top topics

<< 221  222  223    225  226  227 >>

join