It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia declares war on Ukraine. Live updates from inside Ukraine

page: 214
<< 211  212  213    215  216  217 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 05:06 AM
link   

"Regarding the expansion of the powers of the regions. We have introduced a special position of deputy prime minister in the government, whose main task will be the decentralization of the administration. This large-scale reform will be conducted while preserving the unity of Ukraine, which will give the regions, cities, and districts broad powers and funding needed for the development of the regions," he said in his address to the residents of the southern and eastern regions of Ukraine.

Interfax - Ukraine

IF this actually works and is implemented, this seems to be a good idea. It's nice to see that the administration is forward thinking on this and not bogged down in current events. It could just be the ticket for a more unified country and a way to pevent events such as we are seeing now in the future.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Putin only needs maybe 5 or 6 good nukes.. who cares about the rotting ones in far away bases..
5 or 6 nukes from Russia would ensure the world fought itself to destruction.. and to rebirth!

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Agit8dChop
reply to post by DJW001

Putin only needs maybe 5 or 6 good nukes.. who cares about the rotting ones in far away bases..
5 or 6 nukes from Russia would ensure the world fought itself to destruction.. and to rebirth!

No, those few warheads would be destroyed in flight. The United States would not even need to retaliate. The General Staff itself would mutiny and put Putin under arrest.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 05:10 AM
link   

MyMindIsMyOwn

"Regarding the expansion of the powers of the regions. We have introduced a special position of deputy prime minister in the government, whose main task will be the decentralization of the administration. This large-scale reform will be conducted while preserving the unity of Ukraine, which will give the regions, cities, and districts broad powers and funding needed for the development of the regions," he said in his address to the residents of the southern and eastern regions of Ukraine.

Interfax - Ukraine

IF this actually works and is implemented, this seems to be a good idea. It's nice to see that the administration is forward thinking on this and not bogged down in current events. It could just be the ticket for a more unified country and a way to pevent events such as we are seeing now in the future.

The only problem I see with this, is that it comes too late.

A lot of people in Crimea were complaining about Ukraine keeping all of their -produced in Crimea- profits, but also accusing them of not doing the proper re-distribution of the national production profits. They basically felt robbed.

If this measure arrived sooner, Crimea might have not been so easily taken over.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 05:12 AM
link   

DJW001

Agit8dChop
reply to post by DJW001

No, those few warheads would be destroyed in flight. The United States would not even need to retaliate. The General Staff itself would mutiny and put Putin under arrest.

... yep! spot on! keep looking at the skies... that's exactly where they'll come from!

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 05:17 AM
link   

MyMindIsMyOwn

Interfax - Ukraine

So they give more autonomy to regions in Ukraine. Good idea. Makes it even easier to break up.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by GarrusVasNormandy

If this measure arrived sooner, Crimea might have not been so easily taken over.

Oh I totally agree with you there. While I think this is a good idea moving forward, and may be a way to appease the east to keep them from going the same way as Crimea, I was also thinking as I was reading the article that it almost seems a way of tweeking Crimea's nose a bit.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 05:23 AM
link   
I have one simple question.

Why don't we just leave them alone to live and run their own country?

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 05:29 AM
link   

sparklez

Why doesn't Putin leave them alone?

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 05:30 AM
link   

DJW001

sparklez

So let Ukraine and Russia deal with it, it is something they both have to sort out otherwise there will never be peace there until they deal with it themselves.
edit on 18-3-2014 by sparklez because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 05:31 AM
link   

sparklez

DJW001

sparklez

So let Ukraine and Russia deal with it.

The United States and Europe are obliged by treaty to take Ukraine's side. Sorry.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 05:32 AM
link   

DJW001

sparklez

DJW001

sparklez

The United States and Europe are obliged by treaty to take Ukraine's side. Sorry.

Did you sign the treaty because I sure didn't.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 05:32 AM
link   

MyMindIsMyOwn

Oh I totally agree with you there. While I think this is a good idea moving forward, and may be a way to appease the east to keep them from going the same way as Crimea, I was also thinking as I was reading the article that it almost seems a way of tweeking Crimea's nose a bit.

After posting I actually considered another thing.

This increment of power to the smaller regions, districts, or whatever they are going to call them, could back-fire, and Russia doesn't even need to lift a finger this time.

I mean, seriously... That's exactly what happened to Crimea. Their almost-independent status was the whole reason why it was so easy to pull apart from Ukraine.

With more autonomy, there's nothing stopping other districts from leaving Ukraine after a trial period.

I raise this point because of the geopolitical realities of that part of the World. Eastern Europe is an area where a lot - and I mean a lot - of different cultural tribes and groups meet and ended up living together. With all the break-ups and join-ups of past World Wars, I wouldn't be surprised if Ukraine would split up into 2 or 3 countries, like it has happened with another countries in the area.

Hell, just in Crimea you had 3 major ethnic groups...

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 05:33 AM
link   

sparklez

DJW001

sparklez

DJW001

sparklez

Did you invade Crimea?

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Sorry to have to correct you but Europe did NOT sign the treaty. Only some EU member states did.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 05:36 AM
link   

DJW001

sparklez

DJW001

sparklez

DJW001

sparklez

Did you invade Crimea?

Looks like a lot of sides invaded Ukraine. Everybody got their fingers stuck in the cookie jar as the lid slammed shut.

Please don't tell me the UK and US and Germany are angels innocent in this.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 05:39 AM
link   

sparklez

Sorry to have to correct you but Europe did NOT sign the treaty. Only some EU member states did.

Fair enough, but all of the members of the OSCE implicitly respect it.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 05:40 AM
link   

DJW001
Fair enough, but all of the members of the OSCE implicitly respect it.

One could argue they had no choice, well , the choice would be, agree with it OR face economic costs. We all know how the UN and EU works if you don't agree. the Big members start making your decision expensive.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 05:51 AM
link   

This increment of power to the smaller regions, districts, or whatever they are going to call them, could back-fire, and Russia doesn't even need to lift a finger this time.

That is a very real possibility and only time will reveal the outcome. Personally I see this move as a direct response to the reported conflict in the eastern part of Ukraine where there are very strong pro-Russia sectors, and like you said, it could very well back-fire. Very complex situation, not just pertaining to Criema/Russia/Ukraine.. but as you said, Ukraine itself being so ethnically diverse it's hard to keep everyone happy and working towards the common goal of a unified country. Fascinating to ponder actually.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 06:07 AM
link   

MyMindIsMyOwn
but as you said, Ukraine itself being so ethnically diverse it's hard to keep everyone happy and working towards the common goal of a unified country. Fascinating to ponder actually.

Yet, the worst is still around the corner.

Russia is about to discuss and possibly pass legislation to allow an easier annexation of foreign territories into Russian Federation.

The key-word being "foreign territories" and not "let's allow Crimea in".

Fun fact: that law will be voted on March 21st. Same day the truce between Ukraine and forces in Crimea will end.

....and Putin just got a standing ovation after saying "Crimea chose to join the Russian Federation". His speech is live now @ cnn.

top topics

<< 211  212  213    215  216  217 >>

join