It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia declares war on Ukraine. Live updates from inside Ukraine

page: 169
<< 166  167  168    170  171  172 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonridr

Yeah I know right. I wonder if they got confused and they meant JSTARS.

Joint STARS Surveillance and Target Attack Radar System programme

JSTARS provides ground situation information through communication via secure data links with air force command posts, army mobile ground stations and centres of military analysis far from the point of conflict. JSTARS provides a picture of the ground situation equivalent to that of the air situation provided by AWACS. JSTARS is capable of determining the direction, speed and patterns of military activity of ground vehicles and helicopters.

source: www.airforce-technology.com...

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   

angelchemuel

Oh, and so called democratic countries don't do these things?
I think that thread needs to be started before this one gets derailed.

Rainbows
Jane

No they dont unless you listen to the Russian press that is see political prisoners as previously mentioned. Dont be under the impression Putin is a nice guy hes former KGB and their mentality was practically written by 3rd Riech. See This is the problem the west is facing right now they dont realize what they're up against. Putin doesnt care about financial situation in Russia he thinks much like Hitler the Russians can support their own economy.He sees it as us against them and whoever holds the most pieces at the end of the game wins. His goal is to acquire resources and expand his sphere of influence if you cant get people to willingly work with you than use force both accomplish the same goals. This is why no amount of negotiations will return Crimea it is Russian now. Putin will do anything to maintain control including launch missiles at civilian populations because they tried to separate from Russia.For Putin he has only one goal strengthen Russia and he will do whatever he believes neccesary to accomplish this.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   

majesticgent

Yeah I know right. I wonder if they got confused and they meant JSTARS.

Joint STARS Surveillance and Target Attack Radar System programme

JSTARS provides ground situation information through communication via secure data links with air force command posts, army mobile ground stations and centres of military analysis far from the point of conflict. JSTARS provides a picture of the ground situation equivalent to that of the air situation provided by AWACS. JSTARS is capable of determining the direction, speed and patterns of military activity of ground vehicles and helicopters.

source: www.airforce-technology.com...

That would make more sense so id say probably most people dont know the difference.You know there going to want to know where the Russians are moving troops to.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   
www.bloomberg.com...

Just read this article its interesting in something i noticed.Poland is scared you can see it in this statement:

Today what’s important for Ukraine is to mobilize the attention of world powers to avert the country’s disintegration,” Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk said in a televised news conference at a navy base in Siemirowice.

Hes making his neighbors very nervous since you know they see this as intimidation and a threat especially with Russian war games going on across their border. Heres so more interesting parts.

Russian soldiers opened fire with automatic weapons in an attempt to capture a Ukrainian motorized battalion near the southern Crimean town of Bakhchisaray, Russia’s Interfax news agency reported

Former Yukos Oil Co. owner Mikhail Khodorkovsky, who spent 10 years in jail in Russia for tax evasion and fraud before being pardoned by Putin in December, called today on the West to provide financial aid to Ukraine as security against Russia.

“What is needed is a Marshall Plan for Ukraine,” referring to the post-World War II aid program intended to bolster economies and fight against Soviet communism.

Ukraine’s interim prime minister, Arseniy Yatsenyuk, said his country could hold a dialogue about more rights and powers for Crimea, but not “under muzzles of Russian guns,” according to a statement on his government’s website.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   

I'm sorry, but your mind set is so pre Gorbachev.
Things have changed drastically in the worlds game of chess since then.

So....is that other thread started yet?

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   

angelchemuel

Rainbows
Jane

There are already plenty of threads discussing this Some even started before the olympics talking about Russian opression what difference does one more make really? Im sorry if you dont see the correlations in history but they are there from how Putin maintains his power through corruption to how he treats his people. There was something a history teacher once told me he said everything in history repeats itself so far hes not been proven wrong.

PS i understand you like Putin but sometimes it pays to just look at what's going on instead of what the press wants you to look at. The west no more wants to admit whats going on in Russia than the Russians because if they do than they have to do something about it.As they say ignorance is bliss.

edit on 3/10/14 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   
It is not about the man it is about the method. Putin is NOT Hitler and Hitler is NOT Putin. It is tactics. So FFSA open our eyes and look at what is going on.

I think this goes back to Syria when Putin told Obama to ride the high hard one there and Obama did. He did nada..nothing. If you want to call the US a bully, you can, because to project its power it did act like a bully but it worked. One side was humanitarian effort and the other was to die to keep you safe on your shores and cheap goods in your mortgaged homes.

Now, it cannot. We are not even part of the world stage at the moment. I mean, does anyone in this thread really think Russia gives a FF what we say or threaten? I mentioned this before...Snowden. Access to military intel. Intel is key and the death of many a nation. He is not staying there for free...

Two countries now in 5 years. If this guy can't roll out a website wtf makes any of you think he can be the CIC?

Russia can turn off that energy spigot to the EU so they are doing nothing...like I said before, it is not the man it is the method and this is like the start of just about every war.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   

dragonridr

angelchemuel

Rainbows
Jane

There are already plenty of threads discussing this Some even started before the olympics talking about Russian opression what difference does one more make really? Im sorry if you dont see the correlations in history but they are there from how Putin maintains his power through corruption to how he treats his people. There was something a history teacher once told me he said everything in history repeats itself so far hes not been proven wrong.

PS i understand you like Putin but sometimes it pays to just look at what's going on instead of what the press wants you to look at. The west no more wants to admit whats going on in Russia than the Russians because if they do than they have to do something about it.As they say ignorance is bliss.

edit on 3/10/14 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

That is an assumption on your part.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   

REMINDER~~~~~~~~~

Back on topic!!!!!!!!!!

You are responsible for your own posts.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   

The parliament of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea has sent an official invitation to the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) to send a mission to observe the referendum on the region’s future, slated for March 16.

The Supreme Council has handed over the invitation to Switzerland, the country that holds the rotating presidency of the OSCE. Crimean authorities invited observers from both individual OSCE member-countries and the Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights (ODIHR) to come to Crimea.

"I am confident that the parliament of Crimea will make it possible for them to be present at polling stations. This process is underway now and the referendum itself will be as transparent as possible," Crimean Prime Minister Sergey Aksyonov said, as quoted by Itar-Tass.

Source: rt.com...

Wonder how that is going to go over after OSCE was turned away by warning shots.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   

majesticgent

The parliament of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea has sent an official invitation to the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) to send a mission to observe the referendum on the region’s future, slated for March 16.

The Supreme Council has handed over the invitation to Switzerland, the country that holds the rotating presidency of the OSCE. Crimean authorities invited observers from both individual OSCE member-countries and the Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights (ODIHR) to come to Crimea.

"I am confident that the parliament of Crimea will make it possible for them to be present at polling stations. This process is underway now and the referendum itself will be as transparent as possible," Crimean Prime Minister Sergey Aksyonov said, as quoted by Itar-Tass.

Source: rt.com...

Wonder how that is going to go over after OSCE was turned away by warning shots.

I don't think they will be falling all over themselves to visit Crimea. Nevertheless, it is vital to Putin's plans for credible international observers to verify the referendum. This involves risk on his part, since even in Crimea there is not a great deal of enthusiasm for being ruled from Moscow.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Have been seeing this report pop up on numerous alternative new sources. As far as I know it is unconfirmed. The "Super Sunburn" missile is supposedly deployed as a response of the US sending a missile cruiser into the black sea.

Google Translated Text

Transfer systems supersonic missile defense onshore cruise P-800 Yakhont ( system K-300P Bastion-P) transfer in an unprecedented move Russia in the Crimean peninsula, in response to the appearance in the Black Sea, the U.S. Arleigh Burke-class destroyers and OHPerry.
The SS-N-26 by NATO code has a range of 300 km and is considered non anaschesimo by Western anti-missile systems just because it is supersonic.

Source: www.efenpress.gr...

edit on 10-3-2014 by majesticgent because: don't know what I was typing

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Well the Yakhont appearing as a defense weapon of the Crimean coast is an interesting development. I don't know why the Greek news item translates to 'unprecedented', since Syria got the same package from them (Notice how many Aircraft Carriers have loitered in the Eastern Med for any reason since the hostilities with Syria started? ....quiet out there, huh?).

It's a nasty little sucker tho. Not least of which because it drops to 5 meters off the water, super sonic, in it's final phase. So, you're trying to track and shoot something coming in at 12+ miles per minute (Mach 1 speed equivalent) at sea level.

Oh...and they are designed to work in coordination for more than one in the air at the same time, running out then back in from opposite compass directions.

I guess they're spreading around the good cheer. (not..)

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

How many of these systems does Russia have ?

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000
Well the Yakhont appearing as a defense weapon of the Crimean coast is an interesting development. I don't know why the Greek news item translates to 'unprecedented', since Syria got the same package from them (Notice how many Aircraft Carriers have loitered in the Eastern Med for any reason since the hostilities with Syria started? ....quiet out there, huh?).

It's a nasty little sucker tho. Not least of which because it drops to 5 meters off the water, super sonic, in it's final phase. So, you're trying to track and shoot something coming in at 12+ miles per minute (Mach 1 speed equivalent) at sea level.

Oh...and they are designed to work in coordination for more than one in the air at the same time, running out then back in from opposite compass directions.

I guess they're spreading around the good cheer. (not..)

Yeah i agree not really unprecedented but sounds better for headlines. I figured this was coming even the Russians know there fleet would be in trouble. However just like the old Styx missile system likely to have the same results they did in syria. The Aegis system and the Paams the british uses will defeat these missile they would need several more hoping to overwhelm their systems. Im thinking this is more for the Ukrainian ships thinking they might decide to return to crimea. They still have the naval base in odessa and there are corvettes there im thinking should be 5 of them. Its more likely this is there for them then the Truxton.

There keeping the USS taylor around its been in a Turkish port then will head to greece have a feeling they'll just hang out in the aegean for a while with the rest of the 6th fleet.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by GarrusVasNormandy

thank you and its seems to me that the east is now wanting russia to come help them

btw heres a reoccurring story told from within ukraine;
completely normal people are coming home as drug addicts and also some physiologists are working for free to relieve people of what happened

thanks again

hopeful......

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   

KIEV, Ukraine - Ukraine may have to arm itself with nuclear weapons if the United States and other world powers refuse to enforce a security pact that obligates them to reverse the Moscow-backed takeover of Crimea, a member of the Ukraine parliament told USA TODAY.

The United States, Great Britain and Russia agreed in a pact "to assure Ukraine's territorial integrity" in return for Ukraine giving up a nuclear arsenal it inherited from the Soviet Union after declaring independence in 1991, said Pavlo Rizanenko, a member of the Ukrainian parliament.

"We gave up nuclear weapons because of this agreement," said Rizanenko, a member of the Udar Party headed by Vitali Klitschko, a candidate for president. "Now there's a strong sentiment in Ukraine that we made a big mistake."

Source: www.ksdk.com...

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   
This video shows Pro-Russian Military convoy near Sevastopol. Mirrors what the Ukrainian military is doing on the other side of the country. Some of them look as if they are towing artillery pieces.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   

dragonridr

There keeping the USS taylor around its been in a Turkish port then will head to greece have a feeling they'll just hang out in the aegean for a while with the rest of the 6th fleet.

The Taylor is going to need a few months in dry dock to change out the drive gear, and then they are going to need to train the crew to get them up to speed with their new Captain. I suspect more than likely they will dispatch a different vessel in it's place. The pre invasion plan was for a two vessel compliment to work in rotation in the black sea. They have to abide by the 21 day operating limitations, so the rotation will allow them to maintain a constant presence. I heard some speculation that the Zumwalt class were designed with this theatre in mind, but none of them are combat ready. Best guess would be USS Bulkeley (DDG-84) or the USS Mason (DDG-87). I doubt they would pull another vessel form the GHW Bush strike group. The guided missile destroyer Arleigh Burke is also operating independently in the region. It is anyone's guess at this time, but they would want to up their missile defence posture with the close proximity of Russian batteries, and they still have to contend with the two submarines 554 and 572 operating in those waters.

AX
FTNWO

new topics

top topics

<< 166  167  168    170  171  172 >>

join