It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia declares war on Ukraine. Live updates from inside Ukraine

page: 149
<< 146  147  148    150  151  152 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   
And this is why I have the utmost respect for my brothers and sisters to the north... Canada, and why I listen to the CBC instead of US based media outlets. Right or wrong, they've stated what their intensions are and are following through.

Russian Soldiers Training in Canada given 24 Hours to Leave the Country

Nine Russian soldiers who were participating in military exercises in Canada have been expelled from the country, as Ottawa continues to denounce Russia’s military intervention in Crimea, CTV News has learned.

The move comes days after Prime Minister Stephen Harper announced that all planned bilateral activities between the Canadian Armed Forces and the military of the Russian Federation are suspended, including exercises such as NORAD's Exercise Vigilant Eagle.

Yes, it's only 9 but at least Canada is backing up thier words with action and I can respect that.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by dragonridr

There are no reports of Russian troops beating and threatening anyone in Crimea, in fact what we saw in last VICE video from the ground, they are helping Ukranian soldiers in the base to get food from the outside.

Im sure the Ukrainian and TAtar population in Crimea would disagree with you.

Of course they can disagree, it's their liberty to think as they want, and of course they should get their voice heard, but by no means their opinion is crucial as they are minority.
They should get all the rights which belongs to them as a minority when Crimea joins Russia.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by aryaputhra

(sigh) Like I keep trying to point out, in this world for nations all made to look inferior to our mighty American egos.....this is Russia. Not some 3rd world toilet waiting for a flush from the next passerby with a fighting force.

Maybe they've infiltrated us with nuclear? Umm.... Maybe they haven't?? There is more suspense in saying the opposite than stating something which was a rather poorly concealed "secret" for decades.

The Soviets damn sure did have sleeper teams here and we damn sure had them over there. We absolutely had (and rumors say..still have by neglect and stupidity) weapons caches around Europe in the event of a roll-over invasion from the Cold War Era. SADMs (Sub Atomic Demolition Munition) were among those items developed (by both sides) to be used as 'behind the lines' harassment and interdiction tools following a successful invasion of mainland Europe.

OF COURSE Russia infiltrated us, and only a fool with delusions of grandeur would believe they abandoned all their 'years in the making' long term planning when the wall came down. Whatever was left to rot sure has picked back up since 2000 and the US went on a world wide military tour.

Hell...this is the real thing and no kidding reality. If (I doubt it really happens..and not over this) we actually went to war with Russia? We'd be fighting in our own streets for our own individual survival from damn near day one. Just as they would be, and for the same reasons. WORLD powers don't play footsie with war. We're too big and too dangerous for that.
edit on 7-3-2014 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000

Good to have the missiles? Umm.... This is the Russian Federation..one of the top 3 powers on Earth today and really, 2nd only to us....which some would have a pretty serious debate on saying for even that much difference.

If Russia gets to seeing our little Destroyer as a problem and hostilities broke out? One lone Destroyer or a couple in a pack are becoming submarines before their captains can say Boo.

There is a reason the CVBG's form such an awesome travelling armada of Naval power. It's not to show off or look cool, but developed as a logical and reasonable defensive strategy to give BASIC assurance of survival in a war with the Soviet Union (first and foremost).

I'd definitely take them at their word for the Destroyer being there on other matters for pre-planned things. At least I'd hope so. If that is even mentioned between nations as a matter to notice, Putin's respect for us would drop another few notches on the spot. It's the same as if Russia told us to take notice of their Intelligence vessel in Havana harbor right now. Well..yeah..it's there...and we'd sink it just as fast without so much as a 'by your leave'...if war broke out and it wasn't in a defended harbor.

One you underestimate this destroyer it would do alot of damage before they were able to take it out it isnt a slam dunk by any means. Its a walking missile defense system with teeth including the ability to launch on multiple targets well outside of visual.Yes they would take it out but not without considerable losses to the black sea fleet. The Russians know this trust me they're going to keep a close eye on this destroyer knowing how dangerous it is. The Nato tactic would be put this ofshore in Turkey allow if to set up air defense perimeter and use the air force bases in italy and Turkey. Thats why NATO likes it being in the area.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Shhhhhhh..let it stay a sleeping secret for now said the big bear..

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000
reply to post by aryaputhra

(sigh) Like I keep trying to point out, in this world for nations all made to look inferior to our mighty American egos.....this is Russia. Not some 3rd world toilet waiting for a flush from the next passerby with a fighting force.

Maybe they've infiltrated us with nuclear? Umm.... Maybe they haven't?? There is more suspense in saying the opposite than stating something which was a rather poorly concealed "secret" for decades.

The Soviets damn sure did have sleeper teams here and we damn sure had them over there. We absolutely had (and rumors say..still have by neglect and stupidity) weapons caches around Europe in the event of a roll-over invasion from the Cold War Era.

Yeah i think people forget what a war would mean part of that i blame on the fact that we keep having these little skirmishes everywhere people see that as the norm now. But they havent seen two superpowers slug it out thats a completely diffrent ball game. Would make world war 2 look like a picnic.
edit on Fri Mar 7 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: Quote Crash Course

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   
In a world filled with war...only smelling better will make peace a reality..

I hope they smell good in the Ukraine..

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   

You're assuming far more than you should be here. I am very well aware of what the Arleigh-Burke class Destroyers are capable of and that it's basically a giant tactical missile defense system they threw a ship in free with at the same time. The Aegis ballistic and theater missile defense system is among the best, if not the very best in the world for what it does. No question and little to no competition.

What the Captain America types seem to put effort into avoiding the reality of? We're looking at precisely who that system was made to defend against...and while it's buck rogers technology in the Middle East or African piracy wars....but it's (yawn) another anti-missile defense system to world powers.

The Destroyer could have Jesus Christ at the Helm and God back in the Captains quarters....it still has absolutely 0 survival chance if war broke out and Russia turned it's attention to that ship in it's own backyard pond.

Some folks see America as SO FAR beyond the reality we enjoy for military superiority, it almost takes on a surreal sense of invulnerability while looking down on everyone else. We're going to have that 'tude blown out of us with a war we lose HARD...if we don't correct the hubris before long, I fear.

The world has had about all the arrogance it can or is likely to tolerate from our nation...and I think the time we'll have that slap back across the face is coming, sooner than we'd have believed at this rate.
edit on 7-3-2014 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   

aryaputhra
Now it seems Eastern Ukraine are also having Protests and holding their own referendums.

Protests against the illegitimate self appointed government in Kiev continue in eastern regions of Ukraine. Thousands-strong gatherings in Donetsk and Lugansk are rallying in support of the Russian language and holding a referendum on the federalization of Ukraine.

www.itv.com...

Seems like this is quickly spreading out of control for the Western backed coup leaders.

It this is from today or even yesterday, looks like the Ukrainian media is ignoring it, because only thing they are focusing on, about the east is the arrest of the pro Russian leader Gubarev in Donetsk.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   

I think you're assuming Nato underestimates Russian capabilities i dont believe thats true im sure they would order it back to turkish airspace for support and use it to blast any contact that came near to block the Bosphorus not like they would send it into a russian harbor blasting away. I think your kind of over assuming the attitude of the military there very realistic in their approach. Your talking about people on the net who thinks we should just go kick them out there view is entirely unrealistic. But the average American have not been introduced to war unless they were in the military. They just don't understand its not arogance really more like there naive as to the costs of war. Wars are something that happens elsewhere not realizing war with Russia will be up close and personal.By the way i dont completely disagree with you i just think you cant take what people say on the net as realistic representation of everyone.
edit on 3/7/14 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   

asen_y2k

aryaputhra
Now it seems Eastern Ukraine are also having Protests and holding their own referendums.

Protests against the illegitimate self appointed government in Kiev continue in eastern regions of Ukraine. Thousands-strong gatherings in Donetsk and Lugansk are rallying in support of the Russian language and holding a referendum on the federalization of Ukraine.

www.itv.com...

Seems like this is quickly spreading out of control for the Western backed coup leaders.

It this is from today or even yesterday, looks like the Ukrainian media is ignoring it, because only thing they are focusing on, about the east is the arrest of the pro Russian leader Gubarev in Donetsk.

Biggest mistake Kiev made was voting on that national language thing it was the dumbest idea they had. Because now itsbeing used against them like a club. The irony is apparently the average citizen didnt care what language you spoke.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Prior to 1914, Britain had the world's largest naval fleet, with new dreadnoughts aplenty. What they severely lacked was a strong army. Lot of good that navy did them when the Kaiser decided to invade France. Control of the air is an advantage, but a ground war is decided by men with guns (of all sizes).

Also, in the years prior to WWI, the Balkans were a hotbed of mini-wars.
edit on 7/3/14 by masqua because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   

dragonridr

asen_y2k

aryaputhra

www.itv.com...

Biggest mistake Kiev made was voting on that national language thing it was the dumbest idea they had. Because now itsbeing used against them like a club. The irony is apparently the average citizen didnt care what language you spoke.

Umm not really, they do care. At this moment, my wifes whos western Ukrainian is fuming at the Kievians who speak in Russian, we are in Kiev by the way,

There were always a divide. The more patriotic and western part speak ukrainian as their main language.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Why are people discussing military action like it's even a remote possibility.... It's not.
Nothing will happen and nobody will challenge Russia.
We are legally bound to protect Ukraine and signed that we would do.... but we wont.

Even if Russia did deserve military retaliation or invasion, which I don't believe they do, we just wont do it.
There are far worse places that need our assistance and we just turn a blind eye.

North Korea for one.... it'll turn out that the atrocities there are on the scale of Nazi Germany, and yet the world sits there.

Russia has all the cards and have actually acted far better that the US and UK have done during their Invasions.

So we should tone down the rhetoric... talk... and sort out peace.... not talk ourselves into war.

edit on 7/3/14 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   

asen_y2k

dragonridr

asen_y2k

aryaputhra

www.itv.com...

Umm not really, they do care. At this moment, my wifes whos western Ukrainian is fuming at the Kievians who speak in Russian, we are in Kiev by the way,

There were always a divide. The more patriotic and western part speak ukrainian as their main language.

I thought many Ukrainians in fact speak a mixture of Ukrainian and Russian,and find it difficult to keep the two languages apart. Someone speaking russian and another Ukrainian can hold a conversation easily right? So trying to pick a national language was just a way to separate their society kiev should have known better.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Yup, thats how my whole day went today. Me and wife in Ukrainian, rest of the Kievians, mostly Russian. But a few do try to speak Ukrainian. Many actually are not even fluent in Ukrainian, here in Kiev. Its quite difficult being a Ukrainian only speaker here in Kiev.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   

masqua

Prior to 1914, Britain had the world's largest naval fleet, with new dreadnoughts aplenty. What they severely lacked was a strong army. Lot of good that navy did them when the Kaiser decided to invade France. Control of the air is an advantage, but a ground war is decided by men with guns (of all sizes).

Also, in the years prior to WWI, the Balkans were a hotbed of mini-wars.
edit on 7/3/14 by masqua because: (no reason given)

WW1 is not a good example as the Royal Navy blockade caused starvation and economic collapse that lead to revolts and lack of German support for the war causing the surrender. Without that who knows what the outcome of the war would have been.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Kremlin fears ethnic cleansing if those behind the government overthrow in Kiev reach Crimea or Eastern Ukraine.

Aljazeera

Oh boy...

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   

maddy21

Other than the west how many countries have recognized Ukraine's new govt. Check the news China,India have already voiced their support of Russia and their actions as being legitimate, more will follow suit..

BRIICS nations will support Russia.

Brazil, Russia, India, Iran, China, and South Africa are attempting to replace the USD as reserve currency (petro-dollar). If the USA imposes actual meaningful sanctions against Russia, the BRICS nations can simply dump USD and begin trading in BRICS renminabi. This will in turn collapse the USD which is about to collapse on its own anyways.

Can't the world see this, Russia and China are playing chess, while the West plays checkers. We (the West) have 3 options.

1. Let Russia annex Eastern Ukraine illegally. (Russia wins, West looks inept)
2. Intervene militarily. Trigger WW3 and be held responsible for escalating the situation from non-violent to extremely violent (Russia wins, West looks warmongering).
3. Sanction Russia. Collapse USD currency and thus the entire global economic system, unless you begin trading in renminabi, backed by gold. (Russia wins, they become the reserve currency; US currency monopoly dies)

It is a win, win, win for Russia no matter what the USA decides to do. Russia has studied our international policy and is now using that understanding against us, knowing that no matter which solution we pursue, they win. This is NOT about Ukraine, it is about the currency wars and the collapse of the current economic system triggering WW3.

They are positioning themselves (BRIICS) to come out on top at the expense of USA/UK/EU.

The economy is collapsing, War will follow.

Russia/China have been planning for this for decades; while the USA and their allies have been celebrating the fall of the Soviet Union and bragging about how great we are because of what Russia allowed us to think was victory; when in reality, to them it was "to be continued" after the USD ran its natural course as world currency which, when based on fiat and not backed by gold, always ends in ruin.

That time is now, the USA has weakened itself militarily in order to prop up a fiat currency on its way out. We are already 75% defeated, rather than attempt to "outspend" the USA in the 80's/90's to become more powerful then America, they pretended to be weak and turned our greatest strength (Economic growth/spending) into our greatest weakness.

The art of war:
"when you are strong appear weak."
"Know your enemy's reaction to all things, prior to forcing it for your benefit".

By the time the West understands what Russia and China are about to due, it will be too late.

God Bless,

top topics

<< 146  147  148    150  151  152 >>

join