It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia declares war on Ukraine. Live updates from inside Ukraine

page: 139
<< 136  137  138    140  141  142 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I found this article interesting apparently the tatars are scared to death about the Russian occupation in Crimea. This is going to get Turkey involved before its over since they have a claim to Crimea. i see an international court case coming because there only concern is the tatars.Heres some parts of the article:

Tatars of Ukraine's Crimea came out in their thousands, chanting Allahu Akbar in a show of loyalty to the new authorities in Kiev and opposition to separatist demands by the region's Russian ethnic majority.

A Tatar pensioner who gave his name only as Rustem said the community had been told by its leaders to keep a low profile because of the political uncertainty.

"Putin's a power-hungry madman. He's been stirring up differences here for a while," said Rustem, standing in the shadow of the Kebir-Jami Mosque.

"If there is a conflict, as the minority, we will be the first to suffer," said Usein Sarano, 57, as the midday call to prayer rung out from the 16th-century stone minarets of Bakhchisaray, once an ancient Tatar capital.

www.reuters.com...

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   

xavi1000
Ethnic Russian populations in other former Soviet republics (%):
estonia 30
latvia 34
Lithuania 9
belarus 13
moldova 13
ukraine 22
georgia 6
armenia 2
kazakhstan 37
kyrgyzstan 21
tajikistan 4
uzbekistan 8
turkmenistan 10
azerbaijan 6
ukraine 22

WHO IS NEXT ?

My guess is Estonia since we now know the Russians are monitoring their government phone calls. Still shocks me the Russians released that phone call letting everyone know they were monitoring Estonia's phone calls just to have it shot down as propaganda. It wasnt worth it they should have stayed quite because i guarantee estonia right now is looking for all there equipment.When you set up a spy network in a country rule number one dont let people know about it.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by dragonridr

In related news, this is kinda creepy -

Homes of Ukrainian Tatars reportedly marked with crosses

Mustafa Jemilev, former head of the Crimean Tatar Council, has alleged that homes of Tatars, a minority Ukrainian community in Crimea, are being marked with crosses.

In an interview with the Ukrainian Internet television station Espreso TV, Jemilev said the marks are beginning to appear on some buildings and houses.

He said he does not know why this is happening, but that it is taking place "systematically".

The original report has been translated to English by Al Jazeera.

Aljazeera

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by xavi1000

I have been wondering about this very question. The ' breakaways' and the others near them are worried ? Or not?
About 6 or 7 years ago I met a Lithuanian ,,,in Texas of all places. She had been in the US a few years . She said that
Putin was constantly ' harassing' them through covert means . Interrupting services , internet , hacking the governing pc's, etc and that it could never be tied back to him but all Lithuanians knew he was behind it. I asked what would his purpose be and she said they all believed he would make things hard on them, so hard that eventually they asked Russia for a hand out, hand up and then he could reclaim them after they default or .....whatever it turned out to be. ( forgive my memory on some aspects and there is no link, just a conversation and it's possibly she was just paranoid) Point being, most Lithuanians felt that Russia wanted the country back and was 'stalking' them somewhat to see what might happen. So I have wondered since this began what the other countries are thinking. I even emailed this woman but no reply, so she may have a different address now.. Anyway, take it or leave it.... that's what she said !

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

Am I crazy to see it as a false flag and a one more reason for NATO to react?

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   

zilebeliveunknown
reply to post by Wookiep

Am I crazy to see it as a false flag and a one more reason for NATO to react?

No, I hadn't thought of that. Who knows, this whole situation is crazy. So far NATO seems to have gone out of their way to not intervene. I can see it being a possibility if other parts of Ukraine are "invaded". I have no idea tho, things over there seem to be getting more complicated every day.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by zilebeliveunknown

Literally anybody could be putting the crosses on the homes. Doesn't immediately scream "conspiracy" to me.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

Are we talking Swastika crosses or? This sounds like the beginning of Ethnic cleansing.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Wookiep
reply to post by dragonridr

In related news, this is kinda creepy -

Homes of Ukrainian Tatars reportedly marked with crosses

Mustafa Jemilev, former head of the Crimean Tatar Council, has alleged that homes of Tatars, a minority Ukrainian community in Crimea, are being marked with crosses.

In an interview with the Ukrainian Internet television station Espreso TV, Jemilev said the marks are beginning to appear on some buildings and houses.

He said he does not know why this is happening, but that it is taking place "systematically".

The original report has been translated to English by Al Jazeera.

Aljazeera

And along those lines it looks as if the Tartar community is reaching out to those that may be able to help. This just came across the BBC Live feed:

16:44: The former head of the Muslim Tatar minority in Crimea, Mustafa Dzhemilev, has appealed to Turkey, Azerbaijan and Kazakhstan to help make sure Crimea remains part of Ukraine. "Do not leave your Crimean brothers and sisters on their own at this difficult time," he said in an interview with Azerbaijani website Haqqin.az. Via BBC Monitoring

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Wait...which side haters Tartars again?

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Breaking News:

David Cameron on Ukraine: EU members of G8 group to pull out of preparations for next summit in Russia live

BBC Ticker

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   

MessageforAll
www.whitehouse.gov...
Statement by the Press Secretary on Ukraine

I just skimmed it, a lot of nothing, empty treats.

The statement by the US White House Press Secretary is just part of it. The real info is in this new Executive Order that declares a national emergency and blocks assets within the US of anyone involved, as well as travel or immigration to the US, and any donations to those identified. I bolded some of the high points, as the text is a bit long.

March 06, 2014
Executive Order -- Blocking Property of Certain Persons Contributing to the Situation in Ukraine

By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, including the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (50 U.S.C. 1701 et seq.) (IEEPA), the National Emergencies Act (50 U.S.C. 1601 et seq.) (NEA), section 212(f) of the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1952 (8 U.S.C. 1182(f)), and section 301 of title 3, United States Code,

I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, find that the actions and policies of persons -- including persons who have asserted governmental authority in the Crimean region without the authorization of the Government of Ukraine -- that undermine democratic processes and institutions in Ukraine; threaten its peace, security, stability, sovereignty, and territorial integrity; and contribute to the misappropriation of its assets, constitute an unusual and extraordinary threat to the national security and foreign policy of the United States, and I hereby declare a national emergency to deal with that threat. I hereby order:

Section 1. (a) All property and interests in property that are in the United States, that hereafter come within the United States, or that are or hereafter come within the possession or control of any United States person (including any foreign branch) of the following persons are blocked and may not be transferred, paid, exported, withdrawn, or otherwise dealt in: any person determined by the Secretary of the Treasury, in consultation with the Secretary of State:

(i) to be responsible for or complicit in, or to have engaged in, directly or indirectly, any of the following:

(A) actions or policies that undermine democratic processes or institutions in Ukraine;

(B) actions or policies that threaten the peace, security, stability, sovereignty, or territorial integrity of Ukraine; or

(C) misappropriation of state assets of Ukraine or of an economically significant entity in Ukraine;

SOURCE: Executive Order on White House website

I imagine one of the next steps will be for Russia to follow through on their threats regarding US assets in Russia (if they haven't already done so).

edit on Thu Mar 6 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: VERY long quote snipped :: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   

17:03: The US military is sending 12 F-16 fighter jets to Poland for a training exercise, according to Polish media reports. The Polish defence ministry has not confirmed the reports, says Reuters.
Earlier, the US Air Force announced it was sending six additional F-15 jets to Lithuania to bolster the existing "Baltic Air Police" mission there.

BBC Live Feed

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   
The crosses around town concerns me. How reliable are the sources ? Could it be marking where someone died ? Or are you thinking more marking for future reference? Dislike

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by ikonoklast

Seems to me, if you're going to try and freeze someones assets, do it straight away. Cos you know when they go to try and freeze those accounts? They're going to be empty. They had enough warning.

Aaaaand it's gone.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Russia trying to annex one of its former satellites while conducting ICBM exercises....U.S. sending fighter jets to countries bordering or near the Russian border...

Cold War Redux

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   
This one did make me laugh. From the Twitters.

'Euromaidan PR ‏@EuromaidanPR 1m
Acting #Ukraine president Turchynov cancels #Crimea referendum and the decision of Crimean authorities to join #Russia.-@ukrpravda_news'

Yeah cancel it. That's sure to work.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   

BREAKING NEWS EU to suspend talks on visa deal and threatens further sanctions if Russia does engage in talks on Ukraine crisis

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Via BBC Live Feed....

17:14: In a live address to the nation, interim Ukrainian President Oleksandr Turchynov describes the Crimea referendum as "a farce and crime organised by the Russian forces". It "contradicts the will of the Ukrainian people and the interests of Crimean residents, " he adds.

Looks like Sh*t just got real... This will certainly cause a localized conflict when they dismantle the Parliament.

17:16: Mr Turchynov says the Ukrainian parliament will disband the Crimean parliament over its request to join Russia, in a live televised address shown on national TV, BBC Monitoring reports.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by khimbar

Agreed. Since the Executive Order authorizes this all to be done without prior notice, I would guess that the assets they knew of were being frozen before the ink was dry on the signature.

new topics

top topics

<< 136  137  138    140  141  142 >>

join