It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People with High IQ's never seem to do/create anything 'remarkable'?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by oblvion

Do you feel there can also be a greed/lust for knowledge?

It would seem that such a behavior could be attributed to anything that is being sought, and dictates the method more than what one is actually searching for.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by oblvion

Yep, booze has always been a base escape from the reality. Although, I drank, in bars and pubs, heavily in my youth, it was to get laid as much as anything else. A lot of social activity connected as well...."fun" ...football games/tail-gate parties so on.

Now, the big pharmas have our kids and a huge portion of the nation drugged to suppress those unwanted thoughts and emotions. They call it a cure. Pure crap.

There's also been alternative methods of "quieting the mind". Meditation, religion can have that effect, general recreation activities, fishing....posting on the internet...ooops. LOL.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Risk assessment is all well and good. Yet, there is paralysis by analysis as well.

A balance between the two is key.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   

nwtrucker

Risk assessment is all well and good. Yet, there is paralysis by analysis as well.

A balance between the two is key.

The problem comes because once you create something others abuse it for profit. The chainsaw was a good investment yet it led to deforesting of big areas of the world which is one of the problems that contributed to the climate change that we are experiencing

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Iq has little to do with imagination. The real innovators in the world have imagination.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   
IQs doesn't have an apostrophe, (cynical joke)! IQ is ineffective in many cases. It's just another measure and depends on the day, why it's done, how you feel, if you're a linguist or a mathematician etc...
No offense intended btw!

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   

depleteduranium92
I read an article that said intelligent people aren't usually interested in money. Makes sense. They enjoy what they do than how much money they get; What still puzzles me is why the greatest writers,inventors,businesspeople, pioneers aren't comprised of people with genius IQs.

One might say this is an example of confirmation bias, that there were no tests to judge intelligence in the Renaissance and Middle Ages. ok, lets focus on those born during and after the mid 20th century.

Marylin Vos Savant is said to have the highest IQ....but what has she done really. Another person born around the same time was Bill Gates, his IQ probably isn't genius but look where he is now. Mark Zuckerburg is no Einstein, but he created a digital and social revolution, JK Rowling, again probably isn't the biggest genius, but she's written the most successful books in the 21st century.

So what do you think about this?
edit on 1-3-2014 by depleteduranium92 because: No reason

The one person who comes to mind would be Tesla.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by signalfire

I believe there is a practical purpose in the labeling/cubby-holing I.Q. with the current measurements. That reason being the general acceptance of tools that enhance individual or group survival potential. No matter what form it takes.

Anything created can be used for ill or good. Big deal. One can use a pencil to kill a person. That is some justification not to create/contribute? I don't think so. At least from my view of it.

I have more than a little skepticism that people are hiding so that their intellect isn't misused. Perhaps a few with specialized knowledge, but. by and large, not as a rule.

The old maxim comes to mind, "Ignorance is bliss". I.Q. has it's own inherent "minefield" to contend with. They are as varied as the subjects visited by that "intellect".

There is a balance available to us. Even to those that actually think...or should I say especially to those that think.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   

I have a hard time coming up with anything that can't be "abused", no matter it's original purpose. Just the way things are rigged on this planet, probably elsewhere, as well.

Where it becomes a big deal is if that logic is used to stop one's intellectual/creative abilities. Then it becomes all of our loss when that talent remains undeveloped/used.

Intellect can actually subvert itself. In which case, a reboot is recommended. LOL.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Serdgiam

Humanity have all the toys they need already. Now if we could only know how to use it wisely.

I am long past caring about showing off some kind of material wealth ego to impress people I really could care less about. The ones that are my friends are also above that sort of thing. Go figure.

Maybe if you create a social structure where people really want to contribute and move knowledge forward then it would happen without it being mismanaged by manipulators. But with science more or less starting to become like a religion based on faith not observation and all the propaganda in the news is there any wonder that the real smart/creative ones disconnect from the systems and go their own way.
edit on 1-3-2014 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by oblvion

Sorry I'll have to call you out there about Bill Gates. Over his lifetime he's donated $500m to various charities. Yes he is a very shrewd/ruthless business man, but he's also donated alot of $$$ to improving the lives of others. Not quite so educated in Steve Jobs background but I suspect you'll find it's a similar story.

Now the likes of the Rothschilds, Donald Trump etc, yeah, they are most definately a pox on society. Megalomanics fuelledd by money and greed with not a single care given for the general public.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Lately I've heard people jump out with a smile and say I'm intelligent because I'm ambitious.' I'm just thinking that narcissists are incredibly ambitious. They don't think being selfish has anything to do with wisdom. So it makes you think, what is wisdom if it is based on selfish beliefs, is it the books of Solomon and Confucius? They don't believe in spirit so anything to do with that won't apply.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 06:30 AM
link   

LordGoofus
reply to post by oblvion

Sorry I'll have to call you out there about Bill Gates. Over his lifetime he's donated $500m to various charities. Yes he is a very shrewd/ruthless business man, but he's also donated alot of $$$ to improving the lives of others. Not quite so educated in Steve Jobs background but I suspect you'll find it's a similar story.

Now the likes of the Rothschilds, Donald Trump etc, yeah, they are most definately a pox on society. Megalomanics fuelledd by money and greed with not a single care given for the general public.

I sometimes think Bill Gates is a poster boy for Rothschilds and company so that there is not a outrage towards the people that have wealth like Bill Gates and more.

It is like aid for Africa from the west give 1 apple for show and take five apple back thru the banking system.
edit on 2-3-2014 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 07:46 AM
link   

greyer
Lately I've heard people jump out with a smile and say I'm intelligent because I'm ambitious.' I'm just thinking that narcissists are incredibly ambitious. They don't think being selfish has anything to do with wisdom. So it makes you think, what is wisdom if it is based on selfish beliefs, is it the books of Solomon and Confucius? They don't believe in spirit so anything to do with that won't apply.

Well, narcissists have exaggerated feelings of self-importance, so of course they believe themselves intelligent and wise. It makes them incredibly ambitious, and leads them to have much success. Narcissists see this success as proof of their intelligence and wisdom.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I've invented a few things that were promptly stolen by others. Nothing I invented was revolutionary or earth-shattering but they were mine...briefly. I suppose I could try, try again but being robbed of my intellectual property was pretty discouraging the first couple of times it happened so now I just make things for myself.
I also considered making social constructs rather than things but, looking back through history, I realize it's all been done before. Utopian constructs may work well for about one generation's length of time but eventually they begin to unravel. It's basically up to each generation to create their own utopia.
My IQ (or lack thereof) is not for public consumption. What I create is not automatically forfeit to the profiteers or megalomaniacs. My IQ is not even all that high so I can imagine how the truly genius feel about serving as an intellectual/creative piñata for the flailing masses.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

I, also, have had ideas taken/stolen. The solution is keep having ideas and keep it to yourself. At least until proof of origin is well established....

I took satisfaction in the fact that it was a good idea and felt, rightly, that I would have others.

Often, the idea man, by his very nature, isn't the right guy to implement that idea.

Einstein without Oppenheimer....(yes, I know, I'm leaving that part out. The analogy is restricted to the mechanics, not the subjective)

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by LittleByLittle

To be honest, I am at a bit of a loss how that is a response to what I said in this thread.. Maybe more as a general response to me?

Either way, I agree. I was just pointing out that greed is not exclusive to monetary gain, that is simply the most common way for it to manifest.

There are other ways to accomplish what you are saying as well. Industry titans rely on market domination to keep this paradigm going. There are ways around that, that surely people can figure out...

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by LordGoofus

Relativity is not exclusive to science, it also works with economics.

Tell me, what is Gates net worth? What is the percentage of his wealth that he actually gives to others? Now compare that to how much you might give to the "needy," compared by percentage.

You may very well find that, proportionally, you give vastly more than anyone like Bill Gates.

Ahhh, the tricks the wealthy play...

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Cathcart

greyer

Well, narcissists have exaggerated feelings of self-importance, so of course they believe themselves intelligent and wise. It makes them incredibly ambitious, and leads them to have much success. Narcissists see this success as proof of their intelligence and wisdom.

So in conclusion I believe in spiritual wisdom, for example being humble and showing love are more important than exaggerated feelings of self-importance. I want to journey far away from the world, far far away from any mind who is judgemental, any mind who judges and does not have the initial focus of love and equality for the spirit. They sit in their stupid mind and judge, it is the biggest pet peeve I can think of.

Even you, you look at me with a straight face as if I shouldn't have said anything to begin with. Stubbornness, ego, arrogance, being judgemental, I know who you are. You are the souls who show me every single day that you don't care about me, you talk to me rude like you hate me for being a soul, and your best pleasure is to be dishonest then ignore people. I am really going to leave it all behind. It is such pitiful ignorance that I promise I will leave it behind, I will not be there to hear your evil laughter.
edit on 11Sun, 02 Mar 2014 11:40:39 -0600America/Chicago14America/ChicagoSun, 02 Mar 2014 11:40:39 -0600 by greyer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Serdgiam
reply to post by LittleByLittle

To be honest, I am at a bit of a loss how that is a response to what I said in this thread.. Maybe more as a general response to me?

Either way, I agree. I was just pointing out that greed is not exclusive to monetary gain, that is simply the most common way for it to manifest.

There are other ways to accomplish what you are saying as well. Industry titans rely on market domination to keep this paradigm going. There are ways around that, that surely people can figure out...

Bill Gates certainly have power of the software industry and that can be misused and from my point of view are misused with patents. But what I mean is that from an group perspective, Bill Gates can be used as a clean poster boy for a group of people that are anything but nice, where the perspective of Bill Gates as a Charitable person is used to rub of on the group even if the group is not at all for the common good of all.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join