It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People with High IQ's never seem to do/create anything 'remarkable'?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I read an article that said intelligent people aren't usually interested in money. Makes sense. They enjoy what they do than how much money they get; What still puzzles me is why the greatest writers,inventors,businesspeople, pioneers aren't comprised of people with genius IQs.

One might say this is an example of confirmation bias, that there were no tests to judge intelligence in the Renaissance and Middle Ages. ok, lets focus on those born during and after the mid 20th century.

Marylin Vos Savant is said to have the highest IQ....but what has she done really. Another person born around the same time was Bill Gates, his IQ probably isn't genius but look where he is now. Mark Zuckerburg is no Einstein, but he created a digital and social revolution, JK Rowling, again probably isn't the biggest genius, but she's written the most successful books in the 21st century.

So what do you think about this?
edit on 1-3-2014 by depleteduranium92 because: No reason

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by depleteduranium92

The internet, your computer, the electricity it runs on, your freedom to use it, the means to purchase a new one if that computer breaks...nope. Nothing remarkable. We're practically Bronze Age.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 07:59 AM
link   
no surprises when was the last time you saw a computer or calculator exercise innovative thought. People who do well on iq tests generally have a naturally affinity for adding numbers. They can still be morons. Life is full of contradictions.
edit on 1-3-2014 by AthlonSavage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 08:17 AM
link   

depleteduranium92
I read an article that said intelligent people aren't usually interested in money. Makes sense. They enjoy what they do than how much money they get; What still puzzles me is why the greatest writers,inventors,businesspeople, pioneers aren't comprised of people with genius IQs.

One might say this is an example of confirmation bias, that there were no tests to judge intelligence in the Renaissance and Middle Ages. ok, lets focus on those born during and after the mid 20th century.

Marylin Vos Savant is said to have the highest IQ....but what has she done really. Another person born around the same time was Bill Gates, his IQ probably isn't genius but look where he is now. Mark Zuckerburg is no Einstein, but he created a digital and social revolution, JK Rowling, again probably isn't the biggest genius, but she's written the most successful books in the 21st century.

edit on 1-3-2014 by depleteduranium92 because: No reason

I am of the opinion that there are many types of intelligence, and IQ only measures one type.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   
You're assuming IQ tests accurately reflect intelligence, which I very much doubt.

Innovation measured on a fixed scale? Creativity being statistically quantified? Doesn't that miss the whole point?

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Some do, but most don't...............well, they think they do in their own mind. Most suffer from "Dr Sheldon Cooper" syndrome!!

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Cathcart
You're assuming IQ tests accurately reflect intelligence, which I very much doubt.

Innovation measured on a fixed scale? Creativity being statistically quantified? Doesn't that miss the whole point?

Kind of agree with this. I have a high IQ myself but I can reassure you that if you eat a vindaloo on a friday night, you will have overcome more problems than I have in my entire life by saturday afternoon.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I know one person in my life like this. He was very hard to get to know, works in a automotive store. Doesn't want to spend his time chasing the all mighty dollar. Says it's more enjoyable to work in a mindless job so he can think about what he truly cares about all day long while still making enough to live off of. He's constantly thinking, it consumes him.

Talking with him is difficult. He will bring up a subject, and before you can give your opinion or response, he has moved on to something else. He already knows what your response will be, and there is no small talk with him. I actually don't consider it a conversation, I believe he is thinking out loud and I happen to be standing there.

In this case, he just wants/needs the time to think. It's almost as though he lives in a different world. He has learned how to interact with people to a certain degree, but doesn't want or need to be involved with us. It is a learned behavior in order to function in this world enough to get by. I honestly don't think he would even try to interact with us if he didn't have to.

I consider him a friend and I believe he considers me one. Or at least someone who he enjoys analyzing. If you can slow him down enough, he is a great person. But not the type of person you would expect to have such a high I.Q.

I truly believe he could invent or contribute to many, many things in this world. But this world doesn't interest him. His only interest is what is in his own head.

Hopefully this answers at least some of your questions. This is only one experience, only one person. I'm sure there are many more different scenarios out there, different reasons why. But my experience is that they just live in their own world, too involved with their own thoughts to care what is happening out here.

Thanks,
Blend57

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 08:54 AM
link   
maybe its due to suppression of technology. Edward Leedskalnin made coral castle and was possibly denied for patent. There is a thread Here.
I think Einstein and Nikola Tesla even had patents at some point gone missing.
It also can be due to social status and who financially benefits or loses from these ideas.

Maybe instead of asking why

People with High IQ's never seem to do/create anything 'remarkable'?
you should be asking were did these ideas go?
edit on 1-3-2014 by gmoneystunt because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   

depleteduranium92

Careful asking us to use our heads. If I understand your question correctly, I believe that it proves that all of that thinking ability interferes in actually doing!

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   

People with high IQ's dont care about money so a simple reason. Animals covet "things", intelligence covets only knowledge.

Einstein was perfectly happy not being a billionaire, Aristotle was perfectly happy as "just a guy". Da Vinci was perfectly happy not owning more than he needs.

It are the inept that would wish for more than they could make good use of. Only an idiot thinks that he with the most wins, even though none of that follows you after death.

There are very many that are known throughout recorded history that didnt measure their worth in accumulated "assets", but the actual contribution they made to humanity as a whole, and not to just themselves.

Anyone that would use their gift of knowledge only to fill an already bloated and overly full purse are not smart or wise, they are simply greedy.

This is not a trait to emulate, it is an affliction to be detested.

I would have thought this quite obvious.

Greed is never becoming, in fact it is at all times detestable, and boarders on lunatic evil.

Bill Gates is a fiend, he has thousands of times more than anyone could ever need, how many lives has he actually improved with it? A couple maybe? He is a blight not a boon to humanity. Enter Soros, the Chok brothers, the Waltons ....etc.

Yes these people had skills, they were skilled at tearing other humans down for the sake of greed. This is not something to be proud of.

There is much more pride to be taken from Tesla's poppers life, than 12 Zuckerburgs, as one actually improved the lives of men, the other simply profits from them without really giving back much of anything but further spreading greed,

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   

I though IQ was invented by Steve Jobs, just jesting there. I believe love and happiness are more noteworthy, Nelson Mandela was great just for being true to himself. Thats the impression I get!

edit on 1-3-2014 by ancientthunder because: space

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   
The more intelligent you are the more you see the side effects of what you create. I tried to think of something I could create and after evaluating things, I found that the technology can be abused easily and will accomplish the opposite of the intention within a short time. I understand why those with super IQs don't want to get in the middle of this and be known in history as the creators of something bad. People will twist what you invent to fit their desires. The stuff I was thinking about but abandoned could be altered and made into weapons against others. It is better off in the hands of the secret military installations and top physics agencies, where much of it has already been utilized. Many of these things cannot be put into the general public.

It's discouraging being able to see all the side effects of technology before they happen. It's not fun at all being to evaluate the end results of something correctly as it is unfolding. It makes watching movies kind of boring when you can know what is going to happen in the end from watching twenty minutes of the show.

Risk assessment is what it is all about.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   

blend57
I know one person in my life like this. He was very hard to get to know, works in a automotive store. Doesn't want to spend his time chasing the all mighty dollar. Says it's more enjoyable to work in a mindless job so he can think about what he truly cares about all day long while still making enough to live off of. He's constantly thinking, it consumes him.

Talking with him is difficult. He will bring up a subject, and before you can give your opinion or response, he has moved on to something else. He already knows what your response will be, and there is no small talk with him. I actually don't consider it a conversation, I believe he is thinking out loud and I happen to be standing there.

In this case, he just wants/needs the time to think. It's almost as though he lives in a different world. He has learned how to interact with people to a certain degree, but doesn't want or need to be involved with us. It is a learned behavior in order to function in this world enough to get by. I honestly don't think he would even try to interact with us if he didn't have to.

I consider him a friend and I believe he considers me one. Or at least someone who he enjoys analyzing. If you can slow him down enough, he is a great person. But not the type of person you would expect to have such a high I.Q.

I truly believe he could invent or contribute to many, many things in this world. But this world doesn't interest him. His only interest is what is in his own head.

Hopefully this answers at least some of your questions. This is only one experience, only one person. I'm sure there are many more different scenarios out there, different reasons why. But my experience is that they just live in their own world, too involved with their own thoughts to care what is happening out here.

Thanks,
Blend57

Exactly!!!

They are too busy with what they find to actually be of importance in this life. Money is only important to one of they are empty and trying to fill this empty void with "things". Money and power actually only matter to a very few, these are the so called "greedy". Might as well accumulate knowledge, it is also worth investing in.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   

rickymouse
The more intelligent you are the more you see the side effects of what you create. I tried to think of something I could create and after evaluating things, I found that the technology can be abused easily and will accomplish the opposite of the intention within a short time. I understand why those with super IQs don't want to get in the middle of this and be known in history as the creators of something bad. People will twist what you invent to fit their desires. The stuff I was thinking about but abandoned could be altered and made into weapons against others. It is better off in the hands of the secret military installations and top physics agencies, where much of it has already been utilized. Many of these things cannot be put into the general public.

It's discouraging being able to see all the side effects of technology before they happen. It's not fun at all being to evaluate the end results of something correctly as it is unfolding. It makes watching movies kind of boring when you can know what is going to happen in the end from watching twenty minutes of the show.

Risk assessment is what it is all about.

Oppenheimer- I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   
How many high IQ people have you followed around your whole life to determine what they've accomplished?

Who are you to judge what 'accomplishment' is? Are we going to judge people by how much money they make, or how many inventions they've patented, or how kind they are, or how many intellectual puzzles they've solved (whether in their own mind, or publicly?)

Exactly how do you measure accomplishment?

Many high IQ people are by default introverts. They like to read a lot, like to think about 'things' a lot, like to solve intellectual puzzles; this makes them seem not particularly social (or useful) to those who are extroverts, but as a rather emotionally stunted coworker once said to me, 'I don't like being alone'; I bit my tongue rather than answer, "I know what you mean, I don't like being around you either...'

Also consider that what an IQ test really measures is accumulated knowledge by a given age (usually from reading a lot, but which came first, the high IQ or the drive and ability to read?) and the ability to solve mental puzzles, or know what a test is asking for in response, even if the actual answer required is not the true one (such as the recent 'does the earth revolve around the sun or the sun around the earth? The actual answer to that is far more complicated but the test never wants THAT answer, it wants the socially acceptable one... ditto for a question I recently saw about evolution. It was designed to require an answer about the 'truth' of evolution, when in reality that's not proven and is still a theory. Same with the big bang, since no one was around at the time to know exactly what happened. Some things are intellectual placeholders but are considered 'truth' by the majority in a given era and so if you're smart enough, you're supposed to know how to answer, even though it may be laughably wrong in the future...). I find that all very odd, difficult to explain to most people, and one of the myriad of ways in which 'normal' people are holding everyone back.

While I highly enjoy it when I meet someone I can actually engage brains with on a level that's a bit higher than the latest fashions, or teevee programs, or sports team scores, it's rare that I find people like that. Being an introvert further limits my exposure to people in general and therefore people who I can connect with.

Do I wish I had a bunch of money? Yeah, but I probably wouldn't use it for the 'things' that society seems to value, a big house with a big mortgage and a big tax and utilities bill. I would use it to try to help people who were suffering and probably spend just as much time alone and away from most people as I do now. I'm not organized enough mentally or physically to take an Edison-style approach to solving problems (nor are most people), but then again, I wouldn't electrocute an elephant to try to get my way with DC current versus Tesla's AC, either... (many money hungry people are sociopaths, have you noticed?)

I've met many geniuses by default socially (I'm a member of Mensa); many of them were very scarred by childhoods that were far less than optimal; parents who didn't understand them or worse yet made fun of them; peer groups that were equally a waste of time or cruel. Only a relative few had good parenting and good school experiences and had the support that brings out the best while minimizing the worse that can happen.

It turns out our society doesn't value intelligence all that much, unless it can monetize it. We certainly as a civilization have used other people's intelligence (think Manhattan Project) to create as much horror as good for the world. Maybe the geniuses are hiding because they don't want to be taken advantage of, don't want their intellect used by the military for godknowswhat, and just want to live their lives in quiet thoughtful solitude? And a lot of them are working quietly as doctors and writers and research scientists and number crunchers and may have numerous hobbies that the world in general never finds out about. Are they 'accomplished' or isn't that good enough?

Add in that in many eras, anyone on the far end of the bell curve intellectually or socially was demonized or worse by those who couldn't understand them and sometimes it's better to take a low profile.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by oblvion

Oppenheimer saw what he created turn into a nightmare, causing fear in people in many countries and draining the money from the common working man. Seems that those who like power did not see eye to eye with him later on.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   

rickymouse
reply to post by oblvion

Oppenheimer saw what he created turn into a nightmare, causing fear in people in many countries and draining the money from the common working man. Seems that those who like power did not see eye to eye with him later on.

He wanted to know "if" it was possible.

Once he knew it was......he knew he was the guy that had opened "pandora's box".

When he saw the fruits of his labors he was awe struck by the wickedness and evil in the hearts of men, that they would want to do this to other men.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   

I feel there is a definite difference between "I.Q." and creativity. Some of the most creative people are nuttier than fruitcakes.
(Hollywood is a case in point).

I've always felt a high I.Q. can be a liability as much as an asset. I spent about 6 months working in a drug rehab and a surprising number of very intelligent people took drugs to shut their "minds" up-down?-.

Certainly, base impulses can be indulged/justified much easier by the "I.Q." (machine?) than the average or better balanced people out there.

"This is wrong...don't do it" as opposed to "these are 'reasons" why this is not necessarily wrong and why it might be "O.K." to do.

Gee, a pretty good description of the pycho-babble crowd, isn't it......

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 11:17 AM
link   

nwtrucker

I feel there is a definite difference between "I.Q." and creativity. Some of the most creative people are nuttier than fruitcakes.
(Hollywood is a case in point).

I've always felt a high I.Q. can be a liability as much as an asset. I spent about 6 months working in a drug rehab and a surprising number of very intelligent people took drugs to shut their "minds" up-down?-.

Certainly, base impulses can be indulged/justified much easier by the "I.Q." (machine?) than the average or better balanced people out there.

"This is wrong...don't do it" as opposed to "these are 'reasons" why this is not necessarily wrong and why it might be "O.K." to do.

Gee, a pretty good description of the pycho-babble crowd, isn't it......

Very well stated!!!

I and the others like myself that I have met dilute ourselves with drugs( or in my case alcohol) to dumb us down to everyone else's level.

It is sad but true.

<<   2  3 >>

join