It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why can some dog owners be such selfish muppets?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Ok, bear with me guys...So I am at the local park right in the very corner of the fenced area playing fetch with my dog. - When I say my dog, I mean my "scary and vicious" complete and utter pussy dog who is a big staffy cross that weighs close to 40kg. Now I am a responsible dog owner, so I am very vigilant about other people and their dogs and will put my girl onto her lead the second I see another canine in the vicinity. If it is an on leash park - she will only ever be off if we are alone. You would expect other owners to do the same thing. What does this idiot ditzy woman do? Lets her dog bound on over towards us- all the way across the park right to the corner where I was trying to make an exit without my dog catching onto the approaching disaster. Now, my dog is a beautiful gentle loyal creature that would not hurt a fly - unless that fly had a tail, slobbered and barked.

She is not great with other dogs and I know this. I let the lady know that it was probably a good idea that she put her dog on its leash before it got too close and we had a dog fight on our hands. So she says (and this is not the first time that I have been in this exact situation and had the same answer) "oh she's alright, she wont hurt her" I'm not sure if the woman was blind, but here you have a dog that is at least double the size of hers, stronger than the two of us put together with jaws that could crush its skull in a heartbeat....and she thought I meant that I was worried her dog would be an issue?? I warned her again and elaborated that it was for her dogs protection - not mine.Seriously...it is this kind of ignorance and stupidity that gives dogs that look like mine the unfair label that all of them are vicious killers - all would be fine if people controlled their dogs. All my dog could see was another dog running towards me - yes it was a friendly dog I could tell - but my girl would have thought her mum was gonna be taken out by this dog bowling towards me. And my girl would have my back no matter what - she'd do what I expect her to do if I was threatened- protect her master. Even after the second warning this dumbass idiot still hadn't figured out that 40kg ball of muscle with heckles up and tail straight is not a good sign.

So when the dog gets to about 5 metres away my girl lets the demons within rip and starts her scary show of teeth and growling and lets out a huge barrage of barks...and the dog essentially craps itself and runs back to its stupid incompetent master with its tail between its legs. I went off on the woman and told her she was damn close to seeing her dog get seriously hurt and that if she cannot read basic canine body language nor comprehend the english language then she didn't deserve the privelege of owning a dog. Sorry she says - mmmm like sorry is going help when her dog's head is locked between my dogs jaws that WILL NOT open for anything. It is too often that I am put into this situation where I am walking my dog and another owner thinks its ok to let their dogs roam free off the lead to do what they want (fine in an off leash park) which absolutely enrages me. She wont seek out a fight, but if a dog gets up in her face - I cannot garuntee that she will play nice so I always avoid those situations wereever I can. The thing is this - if there was a dog fight where the other dog instigated it and it paid with its life, it would not matter if my dog was on the lead and we were in the right - she would be made an example of in the media as being a Dangerous Dog and would be taken from me and destroyed and I would be fined as being an irresponsible owner. All because she looks alot like a Pitbull. (a bit of perspective - 2 years ago in a few suburbs from where I live, 2 Pitbulls went into their neighbours house and mauled a little girl in her own living room while her mother tried to save her...it was unbelievably tragic) I have even gone to the length of getting her genetically tested to prove that she doesnt have pitbull in her. A whole lot of laws were passed basically saying that pitbulls were going to be rounded up and killed - if not registered. The council had a checklist and she just happened to tick all of the boxes to say she was a pitbull. We had a purbred pedigree staffordshire bull terrier as well - they were both registered as staffys and I know that the council box tickers would have looked at them both and assumed I was hiding her real pedigree of being a pitbull cause she was so much bigger than our other dog. Now, I love my dog and she gets treated very well. She is well trained and gets fed food that I cook myself that I could eat and regularly goes to the vet. Shes even an internet star with her own webpage ... check her out....
My dog the star...
Everyone that knows her absolutely love her and always comment on what a beautiful natured sooky lala she is. To be put in that situation time after time is infuriating when I go out of my way to do the right thing. Other dog owners are just downright selfish and incredibly stupid when they assume that because their dog is friendly means others will be.
Any other "vicious" and "dangerous" dog owners find that this is an issue with them too? Thoughts?

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by taketheredpill

Eh, I do understand your frustration,but most people take they're dogs to dog parks so that they can 'play' with other dogs.Therefore I would guess that they think you are there with your dog for the same reason,and let they're dog initiate play. I understand you want to let your dog play in an open space with you,but maybe find some place more suitable where other dogs would not be.And yes the woman is dumb for not listening when you tried to warn her,but I've seen some really dumb things that people have done(like walking up to my car to tell me something,then thinking my male sheltie who was very protective of me was just so cute that they had to grab his muzzle suddenly totally pissing him off and he flew out the window after them). That is the problem with large dogs that are protective,they can go into protection mode even when its not called for.I really hope you can find a place where you can turn him loose without fear of encountering another dog and let him enjoy himself.

Correction, I'm half asleep right now and just noticed you were at a regular park.Do you maybe have a dog park around somewhere you could go? Like later at night when people aren't likely to be there? I would never try to take a dog to a regular park if I thought it might be aggressive with other dogs. The chances of encountering another persons dog would be too high,as well as coming across strays with no one controlling them.
edit on 1-3-2014 by Dimithae because: added to comments.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Dimithae

I understand you want to let your dog play in an open space with you, but maybe find some place more suitable where other dogs would not be.

This is a good piece of advice.

Most dogs are inquisitive, and not everyone is bright enough to see or know that your dog doesn't like interaction with other dogs..

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 07:05 AM
link   

My wife and I have had 3 golden retrievers in our life time. All of them were great with people and other dogs. When we would take our dogs on walks or in the park, we would be very cautious about our dog approaching other dogs because of the fact you mentioned in the op. All dogs have their own personality and some can be very protective of their owners. Although, I think the majority of dogs would defend their owners no matter how small or friendly they are. Some breeds have been bred exactly for that purpose.

Anyone who has owned a golden can probably tell you they wouldn't make a great guard dog. Case in point, our house was robbed several years ago while our golden was home alone. I wouldn't be surprised if our golden showed them where all the loot was hidden. Not to mention, the robbers probably were petting her and feeding her a box of Ho Ho's that was left on our kitchen counter which was completely empty when we got home! When we came home, Ginger was lying on the kitchen floor as content as a dog could be. lol.

The only thing I would say about your situation is when your dog has a potential of inflicting harm to people or other dogs, no matter how stupid other dog owners can be, the law will always be against the aggressive dog and it's owner if it attacks. Even if you dog is on a leash.

I myself would never want to worry about taking on that sense of liability. It only takes a second for your dog to cause you a major law suit. So as a dog owner whose dog can become aggressive, you take on the responsibility of preventing your dog from harming others no matter if it's the fault of the person or other dog owners. It's one of the main reasons I would never want to own a dog that has a potential of causing me to constantly worry about him innocently harming someone or causing me to lose everything because of a civil lawsuit.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 07:22 AM
link   

From your post, I can see that you are responsible dog owner, and does the right thing, hats off to you, I live in an area where 95% of dog owners are irresponsible tw#ts, no leads ever, refuse to clear up their dog's sh#t and see their dog as some sort of status symbol( to look hard and macho), im a wheelchair user, so dog sh#t on pavements is a huge enemy of mine, 3 weeks ago, I caught a irresponsible owner letting his dog crap right outside my gate, so I grabbed a bag, and asked him if wouldn't mind clearing up after his dog, I got told to "f#@k off you wheelchair spastic", I kept calm and said " come on mate, do the right thing, ive asked you nicely", his reply was to punch me in the face, police wouldn't even go around to talk to him, said theres no witnesses. I ended up clearing up the # myself. I can reason with you over your "big scary dog", I used to have a very big german shepherd, we had to use a nose halter on him because he pulled too much to control properly, some people thought it was a muzzle, so we got reported for having a dangerous dog, the police came around to see us, with in 5 mins, they realised that he was a complete softy, I demonstrated what happened if you swore at him, he layed on the floor and wouldn't move for no one ( unless you bribed him with a treat!). Theres a lot of staff's in my family, they're all friendly, too well looked after!, the only thing scary about them is how they look( much like me ! Lol!). Im on your side, as you seem to look after and spoil your dog ( the way it should be, look after them and they do the same to you). I cant wait to get another dog, im moving home, so ive got the space to have a dog once more. Good luck, give your hog ( staff!) a treat from me!.
All the best.
BVH.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Dimithae

Thanks for your take on things. Just like to point out that I did say that I only take her off her lead when we are alone. Straight back on lead when anyone else is around. And dog parks are a recipe for disaster....I'd never take her to one. As I said, she is not a nasty dog that seeks out others to fight with - she merely protects what is most important to her in this world if she thinks it is being threatened - me. My bleat was mostly about the ignorance of owners that let their dogs off lead where they should not be and how that puts responsible owners that have as much right to walk their dog in public as they do without worrying that another persons lack of insight could take that all away in a moment. And yes there most definitely is a place that I can take her....New Zealand. Which is where we are going next week....home sweet home. This concrete jungle ...AKA Melbourne Australia is too crowded, full of lost souls and shrouded in electrosmog. Aotearoa....here we come....oh how I have missed the land of the long white cloud. Hell, I cant even take her to a beach here unless it is a dog beach - we have one here in melbourne. Back home there are beautifully secluded and deserted beaches everywhere. And dogs are not withheld the god given right to frolick in the surf and run wild.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by billyvonhelvete

Hey ,thanks man...and I'm sorry to hear about your run in with that numbnut that wouldnt pick up his dogs crap. Honestly, at the end of the day, he'll get his - paid back threefold. Punching a dude in a wheelchair? That is low my friend. Good luck with getting another poochie and I hope the move goes well. Szadee had her treat and sends her thanks and a great big woof.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Ha ha ha!, thanks, the low life who hit me, has been paid back (with change to spare!), im not very quick anymore, but if I grab hold of them, they're going to hurt!!, all im saying is Ive had good training!!, and ive got a long memory
!

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons

Thanks for your reply....you cracked me up when I read that your dog was probably showing the robbers where the stuff was. Priceless. I respect what you are saying about me being liable if my dog attacks someone or another dog. People are not the ones that will get hurt - just their dog if it happens to get in her face when all she wants to do is walk. She mostly ignores everyone and everything else but me. Its just the issue of not being a responsible owner that can control their dog if they need to quickly. I have full control over my dog when we are out in public on or off lead...thing is, that other people don't when they choose to let their dogs run wild where they shouldn't. Especially when there is the possibility of children, cars and other dogs being around. And is anything did happen that wound me up in court - I would take full responsibility - and I would expect the other owner to do the same and admit that the incident was a result of their carelessness.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   

You have 100% sympathy here. It happens on an almost daily basis for me and it really @$$% me off no end.

I walk my ghirls out at 6am. I live in the inner city so i have to go through the streets and a park before i get to a golf course i sneak on. All the way to the golf course they are on their leads. When i get the golf course i give them a good run off the leads because there is never anyone there at that time. Actually, until just recently you don`t see many people at all the whole walk, just people going to work.

Now we`re hitting spring and the mornings are getting lighter, in the park there are a few more people out with their dogs....off the effing leads. Typical example, my dogs are a young, large boisterous Northern Inuit (very friendly and playful) and a smallish sized Rottweiller (not very friendly and certainly not as playful). A woman with a Staffie and a Jack Russell, both off their leads, are heading my way. The woman sees the N Inuit and smiles. Me I cuss under my breath and put my dogs on a short lead. Her dogs come running up barking. I walk to the grass at the side of the path and wait as soon as the dogs get close my Rottweiller goes for them and my Inuit thinks yeah lets play. The woman is shouting her dogs because she can tell my Rottweiller means buisness and it is a gaurding breed. Her dogs stop about 3 feet away yapping like mad while my two are lunging and barking, the Rottweiller meaning to do serious buisness. What does the woman do???? Stands five minutes down the path shouting her dogs which are paying no heed. Now think about it I`ve got a powerful Rottweiller and a very large Northern Inuit which i`m holding back with everything i`ve got, the woman walks up with a look of disgust AT ME and puts her dogs on the lead (which is a park bye law may i add) I tell her in no uncertain terms she should keep her dogs on a lead, she looks at me and responds, your dogs are the problem, all i can do is shout `mine are on a f@@%ing lead`.

Arrrrrrrgggghhhhhh, nearly everyday. Am not even going to get started on the man with 2 Afghan Hounds and a tiny Pekinese called Joy all off the lead.

These people are ignorant, stupid people.

"Oh don`t worry they`re friendly" is a common one i hear, to which I have to respond "well my Rottie isn`t" then they look at me all upset.

What they don`t think is, if my 2 dogs were off the lead and ran upto them, snarling and barking while they are walking with their dogs on a lead, they would probably call the police saying there is a man in the park with 2 dangerous dogs off the lead creating havoc.

Seriously makes my blood boil. Sorry for the rant but this thread is very raw to me at the moment lol.

Honestly get where your coming from mate.

Must just add, the man with the Afghans and stupid Joy, in the last encounter the pekinese got to close barking and growling, so i did let the leads slack a bit and gleefully shouted Go on, good ghirl Isis (the rottie). The man quickly put them on the leads and I haven`t seen him since.

It was about the third time though and he just normally walks past smiling giving it `Oh their just playing`. Effin eejit.

Like I say sorry for going on but its my `pet hate` lol at the moment, the thing that grinds my gears. I do feel slightly better know though getting it off my chest and knowing that their are others who feel like I do about this.

Think i`ll go and sit somewhere quiet now for ten minutes with a camomile tea and a couple of Hob Nob biscuits.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by fenian8

Thanks for taking the time to reply mate, and my sympathies to you and your pack. Those dirty looks....they infuriate me. The next time someone with a bloody yappy little ankle biter refuses to restrain their dog may just be the time that I call the council to tell them a vicious menacing dog is at large causing a public hazard. MaSeriously - I wonder how many attacks go unreported due to the fact that they dont have the force behind the bite, nor the size to take them seriously. Chiuauas...now they scare the bejesus outta me! And rotties are gorgeous - I was either getting a rottie or a staffie....how I ended up with a staffy x with english springer spaniel/ibizan hound/basset hound/doberman is beyond me!(genetic testing is worth it - at least to see where your dogs traits come from) Lucky for me she just looks like a giant staffy! Good luck with your dog ettiquete struggles - I hope those muppets wake up to their stupidity soon - for the sake of their dogs - and yours!

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   

I understand your point sooooo much

I have had 3 jack's in my life they were all well trained (i can control my dog with just hand signals)
they were all friendly family pets but they are a very protective breed and if you know them you will know
that every one of them thinks it's a lion crossed with a poiar bear

i can't count the amount of times i have had to bark at another owner because their lack of control has lead to my dog
switching to protecting mode

I now have a small 12 year old staffy,(he was the runt) and he is also soft as a bag of candy floss and well trained
but i still wont go anywhere with him off the lead,just in case

These muppet's who have no idea of their breed's nature and even less of a clue when it come's to training give us all
a bad name,

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   
For someone who has worked extensively with dogs, these issues are a dime a dozen. They happen constantly. It also sounds like the dogs in this thread are receiving very, very strong signals from their owners to do exactly what they are doing. So, thats something to keep in mind..

I have the opposite scenario where my dogs run off leash on my property, but others see fit to bring their leashed dogs onto my property then proceed to yell at me for having an unleashed dog. My one dog is used to dealing with fear-aggressive Mollosers (makes a typical bully breeds bite look weak in comparison), so not too worried about her. The other is still a pup, so he doesnt get as much freedom.

Dog parks can be a recipe for disaster for even the nicest dogs.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   
The short of it is that people typically consider their pets as an extension of themselves. Whatever the primary projected trait of the person, the dog may pick up on it. In that batch of ego thinking, they know that their animal is "good." That stands to reason since the dog is a projection of their own self-image. Therefore, however, the common phrase I've heard hundreds of times when I used to carry the mail is: "Don't worry, my dog doesn't bite." The not infrequent bite or strong attempt to bite was indicative of a personal delusion that applied to both owner and dog.

Actually, it is the exact same phenomena exhibited by parents in the way their kids are allowed to behavior (or not).

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Its hard I know, here in Missouri you can't even take your dogs to the river. Health laws you know. Took my dog camping with me and I wasn't allowed to let him go anywhere. Last time I went camping. They can keep their stupid National and state parks!

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Serdgiam

Your property, your rules!!, and your dogs know whats their territory. If dumb people don't get that, its their problem.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   

You would think the fence would serve as some sort of reminder, right? But, no...

Regardless, I really meant it when I said that dogs are acting according to their owners. Especially the OP with his dog. Now, this can be exacerbated by past experiences, but it is the masters "tone and feel" which will determine the outcome of a situation before it even occurs. Things got aggressive before the dogs even met, ensuring a very, very predictable outcome.

It sounds like the OP was just as aggressive/apprehensive as his dog.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   

I know how they feel, as ive been attacked by dogs, while walking(when I could!) My dog, if you live in a city, and dont have the transport to get out of it, you're limited to where you can walk/exercise them, and in my experience most dog owners in the city are morons, dont get me wrong, I know people in the city who are good owners, but very few. Over the past 10 years theres been a trend for chavs and low life's to own staffs and pitbulls (they watch too many rap video's! ), but now they've moved on to english mastives. Ive seen how these types of scum bags treat their dogs, always treating them rough, kicking them, not feeding them properly and not taking the to the vet when they need it, so its a common thing to get dogs attacking others and their owners. People who mistreat their animals really make me angry, my only brush with the law, and risked doing time was for taking a dog off a scum bag, then kicked him about half an hour. Im not normally a violent person, but ive been brought up to respect and care for your pets. My rant over! Lol!.
What breeds do you have?

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   

I have had and taken care of countless breeds.
I used to work as a "rehabilitator" in shelters, and eventually moved into professional dog training. It wasnt very easy to spend months working with a dog, seeing them for who they truly are, and then having to put them down when they werent deemed "profitable."

I have seen things I wish I had never, ever seen. Stories that would make your hair raise on end, even if you think you have "heard it all."

My specialty is bully breeds and Mollosers, specifically FA/HA/DA. Given that, I have been attacked by many, many different dogs. The most frequent "offender" was actually lab/heeler mixes.

I currently have a husky X and a Shiloh Shepherd.
edit on 1-3-2014 by Serdgiam because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Nice, I completely respect the work that you do. Im in the process of moving home to a more wheelchair friendly home, and out of the city, im a born and bred country boy, so thats where going back to, once settled im getting another dog, ive got to know some people who breed Belgium shepherds, when I can I go out with them when they exercise their herd!, ive never seen them fight each other, and they're very obedient. The owners are very responsible, when they sell one, they will visit the prospective new owner over the space of a few months, and if they dont like anything about them or doubt how they would look after them, they wont sell the dog to them. Im either going to have another german shepherd or a Belgium shepherd. I have a relative who's an ex police/military dog trainer ( humanely trains them!) He's going to help me train him, and he says he can train him to help me, as well as being a companion. Ive missed having a dog( been 10 years), but living where I do presently, there no space and I like it when they can rome in and out of the house and garden.
Good luck with your work and hounds.

BVH.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join