It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pro Russian rally now being held in mainland Ukraine. Welcome ticket for Russian advance?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Rough machine translation-

The focus on Lenin Square in Donetsk held a rally of opponents of the government of Ukraine. Municipal Enterprise of Donetsk City Council "Our house plus" distributes special issue of the publication "The municipal newspaper" issued by the city budget, according to News of Donbass Participants of the meeting was forbidden to distribute newspapers and other postcard, but "municipal newspapers." In Lenin Square set the scene with the sound equipment. At 11:30 on Lenin Square, there were about 1000 people, people holding flags only Russia, Ukraine flag was not.

Link

Like we saw in Crimea before the Russian army came rolling in. Now this is starting in Donetsk. Thats mainland Ukraine. I think this is following the usual Putin tactic of destabilizing then moving in.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Why would Russia want to destabilise the muppet government it had in place. A pro Russian government. The very same muppet government that had accepted to have Russian military bases for thirty years more. The same muppet government that had accepted its 15 billion dollar handout and a 30% reduction in its gas bill....

"About 1000 people" doesn't mean a 1000 people, looks more like 500.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by asen_y2k

Ukraine's new PM has said that he will not be provoked by Russia into armed conflict, but I think he's just stalling for time hoping NATO or UN can diffuse the situation. Russia will have to move quickly now if they truly want to annex the whole of Ukraine.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 05:18 AM
link   

weirdguy

Ukraine's new PM has said that he will not be provoked by Russia into armed conflict, but I think he's just stalling for time hoping NATO or UN can diffuse the situation. Russia will have to move quickly now if they truly want to annex the whole of Ukraine.

Russia isnt going to invade.
NATO cannot and will not step in.
The Ukraine is NOT a NATO member.
Europe will shake its head disapprovingly..and watch.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Um did anybody actual look at the other news at that site?

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Russia will tak the Crimea, then use it to install the diposed president back inot power.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 05:42 AM
link   

andy1972

weirdguy

Russia isnt going to invade.
NATO cannot and will not step in.
The Ukraine is NOT a NATO member.
Europe will shake its head disapprovingly..and watch.

They may not be a NATO country but things like that don't matter sometimes,

Consistent with the Charter on a Distinctive Partnership between NATO and Ukraine, NATO Allies will continue to support Ukrainian sovereignty and independence, territorial integrity, democratic development, and the principle of inviolability of frontiers, as key factors of stability and security in Central and Eastern Europe and on the continent as a whole.

www.nato.int

And from what I have seen Russia is in full control of Crimea at the request of the State Government. Crimea's State Government has also taken control of police and army units in support of Russia.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 06:05 AM
link   

weirdguy

haha ya you can be damn sure hes on the phone with every ally he can think of begging for help...even if by proxy....Russian aint going anywhere...you dont amass that many troops to back out.

Anyone remember before we invaded Iraq? I was in Europe at the time and I remember watching and seeing every single day the movement of more and more troops/infrastructure etc...you dont move that much stuff without a serious end goal in mind. The Ukraine is going back to Russia without outside intervention or an agreement to split the country.
edit on 1-3-2014 by cosmicexplorer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Right now Russian Duma has shown green light for Putin to do whatever it takes to stabilize Ukrainian situation. This might turn into similar as Georgia war.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Anyone stupid enough to assume the Ukraine is somehow fully separated from Russia has no right speaking about the subject. My family on my mom's side is from the Ukraine with strong Russian ties. They speak Russian and identify as Russian on one side, and speak Ukrainian and identify as Ukrainian on the other. My great grand mother fled the Ukraine after the 2nd world war because of the way the powers that be split her country (and she spoke both dialects and identified as both Ukrainian and Russian, imagine that!?)

The Ukraine is historically Russian. History doesn't lie. The Russians worked with the Ukrainians to grant them autonomy, and now we have a # storm of EU debt slavery. No. I don't identify with the EU and I never will, and many Ukrainians never will, despite what CNN tells you. A large portion of Ukrainians identify with Russians, but the media will never tell you that.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 06:09 AM
link   

dollukka
Right now Russian Duma has shown green light for Putin to do whatever it takes to stabilize Ukrainian situation. This might turn into similar as Georgia war.

They couldn't hack it in Georgia, so against the Ukraine it'll be even worse.
Russia doesn't want war, it's still hurting from Afghanistan, Georgia and chechnya.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by cosmicexplorer

Whenever there has been in one side Russia/soviet Union.. UN and its predecessor League of Nations has not had balls to do anything.. i doubt it will change now.
edit on 1-3-2014 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 06:15 AM
link   

DeadSeraph
Anyone stupid enough to assume the Ukraine is somehow fully separated from Russia has no right speaking about the subject. My family on my mom's side is from the Ukraine with strong Russian ties. They speak Russian and identify as Russian on one side, and speak Ukrainian and identify as Ukrainian on the other. My great grand mother fled the Ukraine after the 2nd world war because of the way the powers that be split her country (and she spoke both dialects and identified as both Ukrainian and Russian, imagine that!?)

The Ukraine is historically Russian. History doesn't lie. The Russians worked with the Ukrainians to grant them autonomy, and now we have a # storm of EU debt slavery. No. I don't identify with the EU and I never will, and many Ukrainians never will, despite what CNN tells you. A large portion of Ukrainians identify with Russians, but the media will never tell you that.

My grandparents were Ukrainian as well...and they absolutely did not trust the Russians....they eventually left for America after some work in Germany. The country has been split from what ive always gathered. I suppose it depends on what side of the tracks you grew up on. Even though historically the Ukraine has Russian ties I suppose its not that hard for people to fall for Western culture...especially the younger generation and with access to the internet.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 06:21 AM
link   

cosmicexplorer

DeadSeraph

My grandparents were Ukrainian as well...and they absolutely did not trust the Russians....they eventually left for America after some work in Germany. The country has been split from what ive always gathered. I suppose it depends on what side of the tracks you grew up on. Even though historically the Ukraine has Russian ties I suppose its not that hard for people to fall for Western culture...especially the younger generation and with access to the internet.

It is an ethnically divided country and has been for centuries. Don't get me wrong, I am not excusing the soviets. But the ethnic Russian ties are strong in the Ukraine. The whole situation boils down to the EU trying to rape the Ukrainian people faster than the Russians. The Russians thought they had a deal in place that would sort of benefit everyone (while they bent over the Ukrainians as usual) and the west decided they wanted a piece of the pie for a change.

It's all a game of money, but it's a game that could grow very dangerous.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 06:29 AM
link   

DeadSeraph

cosmicexplorer

DeadSeraph

It is an ethnically divided country and has been for centuries. Don't get me wrong, I am not excusing the soviets. But the ethnic Russian ties are strong in the Ukraine. The whole situation boils down to the EU trying to rape the Ukrainian people faster than the Russians. The Russians thought they had a deal in place that would sort of benefit everyone (while they bent over the Ukrainians as usual) and the west decided they wanted a piece of the pie for a change.

It's all a game of money, but it's a game that could grow very dangerous.

You raised a valid point though...Western media likes to show how "hard" or difficult it is in Russia and how unhappy they are....in I think 2004 or 2005 I read a great Foreign Affairs article that surveyed a % of the Russian population asking what they wanted most out of several choices...I dont remember what all the choices were but the winning result was that the Russian population survey remarkably wanted to be a global super again more than anything else...They wanted to be recognized as a global player. There are definitely loyal Russians and, as you have mentioned, Ukrainians that are quite fine with the way of life they have over there.

Itll be an interesting show none the less.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Be careful what you wish for!

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 07:23 AM
link   

reply to post by DeadSeraph

Interesting perspective, unfortunately the public thinks everything the media spews is true. I wouldn't have known that until you mentioned it here. All the more, the U.S. should stay out of it. The majority rules, and if there is a conflict, let the people of the Ukraine settle it. A change in political ideology never takes hold unless the people themselves overthrow and change their own government. Outside influences never hold and only create more condemnation for the ruling party.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 07:41 AM
link   
My great grandmother's family fled the Ukraine in the early 1900's.My great grandfather's side fled Poland around the same time.Both to escape Russian tyranny.Some things never change.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   

weirdguy

Another thing I've seen come up, is that the "previous" government is saying that he's still the current president. He tweeted out last night that there's only 3 ways to remove him, and he hasn't stepped down, hasn't been impeached, and he's still alive.

He claims he only fled to Russia because his family was threatened.
He is asking for Russia's help militarily.

So many inconsistencies......

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I imagine the new Ukrainian government will be wanting to agree loans with IMF before redrawing the map of one of Europes largest and most historic nations.

While IMF urges calm over Ukraine economy, three countries freeze suspicious Ukrainian assets

I dare say the Tatars in Crimea are not very chuffed with whats going on.
edit on 1-3-2014 by Bellor because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-3-2014 by Bellor because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join