It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN Claims “Americans Want Security Over Freedom”

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

What many people fail to understand is.............true freedom, is security.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 07:13 AM
link   

daskakik

Daedalus
roughly a third of us give a crap

Funny, it is said that only one third of the colonials supported the American revolution.

Now, go and git her done or your just proving the guy on the boob tube right.

and what would you advocate?

should i go downtown, and just shoot any police officer i come across? or anyone in a suit who looks like a fed? or should i start going after politicians?....maybe when the deed is done, get their heads stuffed, and mounted on the wall of my cabin?

that kind of aimless, unfocused violence might be good enough for you...but it's not good enough for me...only crazy people go around indiscriminately killing people, and doing macabre things with their bodies..

you CAN have liberty and security, i know i do.... but again, that two-thirds of the population....they detest the concept of personal responsibility, and expect the government to handle everything....including their thinking, so the government brainwashes them into believing that this crap is for their own good, that they need it, and that you can't have liberty AND security...

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Malynn
Partisan political shills in this thread aside... The dude who said that is correct. What Americans want is to watch their TV's, buy their useless crap, one-up their friends with their new iPad, and ignore the rest of the world while our government rapes it for the corporate elite.

as long as there are people who do not want security over liberty, the statement is untrue.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Daedalus
and what would you advocate?

should i go downtown, and just shoot any police officer i come across? or anyone in a suit who looks like a fed? or should i start going after politicians?....maybe when the deed is done, get their heads stuffed, and mounted on the wall of my cabin?

Do what the original one third did. You said a third of the population "don't support this garbage". I was just pointing out that that should be enough to make a change.

Honestly, I don't think you have that third and if it came to actually choosing freedom over security, the numbers shrink even more.

you CAN have liberty and security, i know i do.... but again, that two-thirds of the population....they detest the concept of personal responsibility, and expect the government to handle everything....including their thinking, so the government brainwashes them into believing that this crap is for their own good, that they need it, and that you can't have liberty AND security...

The person was obviously referring to the Franklin quote which states it is one or the other.

You don't agree with the quote? Fine, but that quote is still the context in which the statement was made.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I can't say I disagree with this posting. It rather surprises me that it took this long for something like this to hit CNN, or even here, to ATS.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   
In what context is he saying that? To justify measures that would undermine somebodies freedom, or does he see this as a trend that worries him?

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   
this is total BS. American's want and need freedom over Security! Freedom!

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Merinda

In what context is he saying that? To justify measures that would undermine somebodies freedom, or does he see this as a trend that worries him?

It's in the video. He (talking about surveillance) uses NSA spying as an example and then supports his POV by saying stuff like the speaker of the house of representatives doesn't complain and that NSA spying is a "little thing." He marginalizes people who think such things are wrong by say "oh there's the Rand Paul people out there (complaining)."

It's quite clear he means what he said and he believes it.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Tarzan the apeman.
reply to post by Bassago

Only if it is security that you have provided for yourself. If someone, or some entity, has provided it for you, then you only have security at their sufferance. They can take it away from you at any time; thus, your security is only an illusion as is any freedom you think you have gained from it.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   

daskakik
Do what the original one third did. You said a third of the population "don't support this garbage". I was just pointing out that that should be enough to make a change.

...so you want us to declare war on the crown, and start targeting occupying british regiments?

Honestly, I don't think you have that third and if it came to actually choosing freedom over security, the numbers shrink even more.

think what you want, and speak for yourself...

The person was obviously referring to the Franklin quote which states it is one or the other.

You don't agree with the quote? Fine, but that quote is still the context in which the statement was made.

no, the quote to which you are referring DOES NOT state it is one or the other...

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 08:16 PM
link   

ketsuko

Tarzan the apeman.
reply to post by Bassago

Only if it is security that you have provided for yourself.

which is where that annoying concept of "personal responsibility" comes in....the government was never supposed to be an all-in-one solution for everything you could ever imagine...

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Daedalus
...so you want us to declare war on the crown, and start targeting occupying british regiments?

Fight for your freedom even if it means war.

Pointing out that the circumstances are different doesn't change the basic premise.

think what you want, and speak for yourself...

While you speak for 100 million.

no, the quote to which you are referring DOES NOT state it is one or the other...

Really? You can trade one thing for another and still have both things?

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 06:58 AM
link   

daskakik
Pointing out that the circumstances are different doesn't change the basic premise.

and it's plain to see that you don't even understand the basic premise...

remember, that the revolution didn't just randomly start one day, because some people were pissed off at george....

people had been pissed off at george for a while at that point...it all started when the british tried to disarm the colonists....they tried to take the weapons by force, and they fired upon the colonists...that was the final item on an already huge list of abuses of the colonists by the crown....the last straw, as it were...

so for you to over simplify things, and suggest that we just "do what they did" is disingenuous

While you speak for 100 million.

i do? holy s**t, when did that happen?

also, you(unsurprisingly) misunderstood what i said...

Really? You can trade one thing for another and still have both things?

the actual quote, from Franklin's letter to the governor of Pennsylvania in 1755, is:

Benjamin Franklin

“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

now, what you need to take into account, when discussing the quote, is the context in which it was used in 1755, and the context in which it's used today. in 1755, it was a line in a letter, referring to the fact that the governor kept vetoing the assembly's attempts to tax the Penn family's land, to help pay for frontier defense. the Penn family had appointed the governor, so he was playing favorites.....in any event, the line was in reference to the assembly not being allowed to do their job...to boil it down even further, it was more or less an accusation by Franklin, aimed at the governor, that he had traded "essential liberty", which was, in this case, the right of self-governance of a legislature, in the interests of collective security, to "purchase a little temporary security", which, in this case, would be his own job security...it's totally different from what people think today when they hear the line...

in today's context (which makes just as much sense), it's used as something of a cautionary slogan for people who value both freedom and security...the gist of it being that if you're stupid enough to willingly surrender your rights and liberty to the federal government, in exchange for their promise of security, then you don't deserve the rights and liberty you just surrendered, or the security they promised you....it's more or less a fancy way of saying "you have both, hold onto them. think for yourself, and take care of yourself"....which leads back to that annoying concept of "personal responsibility"...

bottom line is that while statistically, the majority of the citizens in this country are just completely screwed, for one reason or another, i'd like to point out that this shouldn't matter because this was never supposed to be a democracy...it was founded as a constitutional republic, which is a government of, for, and by the people, which is governed by the consent of the people, and the rule of law...now people are brainwashed to believe that this is a democracy, and that mob rule is the order of the day...it's wrong.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 07:27 AM
link   

beezzer
reply to post by Bassago

He's right, in a way.

Who's fighting the Patriot Act? Who's fighting the TSA? Who's fighting government over-reach?

Sadly. . .

*crickets*

Is the right answer Al Qaida?
As far as i know they are the only once With balls big enough to stand up against the US OF A.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 08:43 AM
link   

skelly1178
I can't say I disagree with this posting. It rather surprises me that it took this long for something like this to hit CNN, or even here, to ATS.

What? Took to long to hit ATS?
John Titor: They were betting that people wanted security instead of freedom and they were wrong!

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Wonder why it has been pulled? In Dec '13 when first shared throughout the net, it wasn't removed from ZH, or other places as far as it looks. Update maybe? Deny the propaganda?

That is a stark reminder of just what this is now, what has to be dealt with, because of that possibly being a push for people to believe it. Not everyone agrees with it, doubt even the majority does as such a propaganda piece would display.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
One question.

"How many Americans took part in a poll or vote"?

I'm right in assuming CNN dod a poll or vote?
Or is this the same as goes for the UK yet I have never once took part in a poll regarding topics like this or others asking if I agreed to military intervention.

It's all fabricated bs

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Ahhhhhhhhhhh CNN

YET AGAIN faithfully trotting out founder Ted Turner's satanic globalist agenda . . .

this time . . .

what the Eloi sheeple are to think and feel . . . on command . . . by decree . . . the 'new "reality".'

Barf.

Ted turner . . . who'd also, like Prince Philip, like to be reincarnated as a deadly pathogen to wipe out most to all mankind.

What an admirable source of erudition and wisdom! /MEGA-SARC

Of course, after 60 or so years of full court press media, education, political, entertainment etc. !!! CONTROL !!! the puppet masters HAVE succeeded in dumbing the sheeple down wholesale . . . and in getting the sheeple to march lockstep over the cliff like good little lemmings. The last two national SElections are a vivid object lesson case in point.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Jake Tapper is right. Most Americans want to/will sacrifice their freedom for security. New reports of NSA spying come out daily. America shrugs her shoulders. America cares about twitter, facebook, google and the latest app, not liberty.

A slave in a golden palace is still a slave.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

What's the point being secure as a nation when the price required is that you give away the very basic freedoms that your ancestors fought, bleed and died to achieve?

And all in the name of terror!
LoL

What really terrifying is that the worst parts of Orwell's 1984 have been in swing for sometime now and nobody seems to give a hoot!

edit on 2-3-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join