It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

YanukovychLeaks: How Ukranian Journalists Are Making History

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Came across this article that details the efforts of a large group of journalists and activists in Ukraine who are cooperating to retrieve and catalog a trove of documents dumped into a lake by exiled Ukranian President Yanukovych as he was fleeing his compound.

Amazingly enough instead of the usual journalistic one upmanship in trying to scoop everyone else, they've secluded themselves in the former presidents mansion and are cataloging and creating an onlibe database of the documents that allegedly detail lavish spending and corruption by Yanukovych.

"In the hours after Ukraine President Viktor Yanukovych fled Kiev, reports started surfacing that there were documents floating in the reservoir on his palatial 350-acre estate outside the capital. The estate is well known to the media as an off-limits location; journalists, in fact, had never entered more than 300 yards past the front gate, and even at the height of Yanukovych’s openness and good relations, journalists had only been allowed to the front door to receive cakes on journalism day."

"There were tens of thousands of documents. Receipts for millions of dollars in cash. Lavish spending on exotic zoo animals and luxury goods. Records of Yanukovich’s sprawling investments. A black list of the local press."

"The reporters then did something remarkable. They made a decision to cooperate among all the news organizations and to save first and report later. It wasn’t an easy decision. But it was clear that if they didn’t act, critical records of their own country’s history could be lost."

How Ukranian Journalists Are Making History

I am not well enough informed on the totality of the situation in Ukraine to align myself with one camp or another but I found this to be an interesting and rare display of journalistic cooperation, the results of which could play an important role in the escalating turmoil over there.
edit on 28-2-2014 by Kgdetroit because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   
The western press should take notes....but they are all bought out by now anyways.......
edit on 28-2-2014 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by stirling

I agree. If nothing more this shows a level of cooperation not seen amongst our rabid and frenzied journalistic troupe who will step on the necks of ANYONE in order to break news first, sourced and verified or not, in the name of ratings and dollars.
edit on 28-2-2014 by Kgdetroit because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-2-2014 by Kgdetroit because: grammatical

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Nice to see some still see that the truth is worth far more then fame.

Too bad we don't have many over here.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Could be just another disinfo tactics, who know and cares..

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   
What amazes me with these leaders who lavish themselves is that they really seeing this spending as worthwhile? Its immature at best.

Sooner a NWO stopping such blatant lavishness the better. I believe you should be rewarded for achieving but then if that reward you seek it this then what have you actually achieved?

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   

stirling
The western press should take notes....but they are all bought out by now anyways.......
edit on 28-2-2014 by stirling because: (no reason given)

I think you're seriously underestimating the power of citizens to collaborate unselfishly when it's really necessary. When we will decide it is really necessary is up for debate however.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by romilo

Would it really surprise you if it were true? I know that believing the leader of a country has been spending money lavishly upon himself and is involved in corruption is a stretch but still...

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Kgdetroit
reply to post by romilo

Would it really surprise you if it were true? I know that believing the leader of a country has been spending money lavishly upon himself and is involved in corruption is a stretch but still...

The news it self doesnt suprize me at all, i understant that as leader u must spend nations money to shine ur own ego, thats pretty self explaned as leadership status
But im losing hope to our news reporters totally, they can and have been used for so long to create false news for ppls mind to scratch, so much that often what news report i think the very opposite or other theories rather than considering the news it self to be the truth, untill i can confirm it and i will still keep searching becouse im so fkin paranoid nowdays

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by romilo

I share your skepticism in that, these days its hard to trust anything.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   

guidetube
What amazes me with these leaders who lavish themselves is that they really seeing this spending as worthwhile? Its immature at best.

Have you see the house of the former prosecutor general of Ukraine? It looks like he thought he was Napoleon.

Inside Ukraine's former prosecutor general's house

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Have you seen inside the White House or any of the 50 Governor's Mansions or any of the Mansions owned by some of the Congress.

This appears to be a state owned residence. How about a tour of Camp David.

It is just a house.

P

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

Do they have paintings with the person occupying that position posing as if he/she was Napoleon?

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   

pheonix358
reply to post by ArMaP

Have you seen inside the White House or any of the 50 Governor's Mansions or any of the Mansions owned by some of the Congress.

This appears to be a state owned residence. How about a tour of Camp David.

It is just a house.

P

Yes

And Yanukovych is significantly richer in a significantly poorer country

And not to mention most of them can provide evidence of where they received there wealth

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 09:41 PM
link   

ArMaP

Do they have paintings with the person occupying that position posing as if he/she was Napoleon?

Yes they do.

Just compare the portraits of Ex-presidents with that of Obama.

P

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Exactly right!

These reporters are working tirelessly to scratch out every dark detail they can find about the man their bosses state side have orders to dehumanize at all costs.

Please people! Don't bury the legacy of human cooperation beneath this scripted BS

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by TritonTaranis

And not to mention most of them can provide evidence of where they received there wealth

Like who, the US Presidents. Good luck mucking through that sewer!

P

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 06:58 AM
link   

pheonix358
Yes they do.

Just compare the portraits of Ex-presidents with that of Obama.

Now I'm curious, could you give one example? Thanks in advance.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

There was a thread on it a while back, but buggered if I can find it.

Try here for the rest www.whitehouse.gov...

P

new topics

top topics

join