It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

huge stellar explosion in our galactic neighborhood

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Last month, scientists caught the first glimpse of a huge stellar explosion in our galactic neighborhood.
Source (Feb. 28th 2014)
Astronomy Cmarchesin cmarchesin.blogspot.com...

11.5 million light years from earth. This happened. That means 11.5 million years ago. Crazy, huh??

This is a Hubble Space Telescope composite image of a supernova explosion designated SN 2014J in the galaxy M82. At a distance of approximately 11.5 million light-years from Earth it is the closest supernova of its type discovered in the past few decades. The explosion is categorized as a Type Ia supernova, which is theorized to be triggered in binary systems consisting of a white dwarf and another star — which could be a second white dwarf, a star like our Sun, or a giant star.

you can hit link for more info..and I'm sure there's lots more info coming on this event in the near future..

Image via: National Aeronautics and Space Administration - NASA

edit on 28-2-2014 by RUFFREADY because: million

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by RUFFREADY

That's pretty cool. Imagine the impact this has had on other things in the Universe. It makes me think of alien races escaping in order to find other habitable planets.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Just to point out though. it wasnt 11.5 million years ago it was 11.5 years ago.

1 light year is the distance light travels in 1 year. At 11.5 light years, the light would reach us in 11.5 years.

Not to diminish your OP though, this is one badass thread already!!!!!!!!

I love science, it is like crack to me, the universe so just so fricking cool!!!!

On a side note, we can range this almost exactly because it was a type 1-A super nova, this is known as the standard candle, meaning they all have the exact same power when they explode, so the exact same brightness. thus we can tell by the amount of light that hits us almost exactly how far away it is.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   

oblvion

Just to point out though. it wasnt 11.5 million years ago it was 11.5 years ago.

1 light year is the distance light travels in 1 year. At 11.5 light years, the light would reach us in 11.5 years.

Not to diminish your OP though, this is one badass thread already!!!!!!!!

I love science, it is like crack to me, the universe so just so fricking cool!!!!

On a side note, we can range this almost exactly because it was a type 1-A super nova, this is known as the standard candle, meaning they all have the exact same power when they explode, so the exact same brightness. thus we can tell by the amount of light that hits us almost exactly how far away it is.

The star is 11.5 milliom L Yrs away....

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by oblvion

Yeah, hahaa I forgot to add million to the 11.5 ..even though I knew it was, I just forgot to type "million"..I did edit it in now

Thanks

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Why do they have to call it blowing up. Blowing up is the same thing as rapid expansion or growth. I mean this took a very long time to grow into what we see here from earth, it is not like the dud in fireworks. It is more like something from a nice big firework that spreads out and gives us a nice show. Sure. a bang starts things lots of time but evolves from the bang can be awesome.

I don't believe in the big bang theory, this is one of the reasons. More emphasis needs to be put on what evolved and why it evolved the way it did than on the initial cause.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   
This just in:

The CIA has hard evidence that Islamic fundametalists were behind the explosion. The White House says all options are on the table. NATO leaders are meeting to decide which oppressed people to liberate from their brutal regime.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by VictorVonDoom

bet the NSA had the info from radio telescope"s

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I wonder if we will be getting hit with Gamma radiation, and if so, when with that arrive?

Not sure off the top of my head, but I think Gamma radiation travels slower than light.

Hmm, research says...Gamma rays travel at the speed of light.

The next question then is, would gamma rays have made it so far.

I'll leave that up to someone else.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

If you can see it with a telescope, then light rays have arrived and so have the gamma rays. Not to worry, though. If you need a powerful telescope to see it then the gamma rays are just as "thinned out" as the light rays. Besides, the ozone layer helps filter the high frequency gamma rays.

Mod note: That was on topic.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Nvm.
edit on 1-3-2014 by 1Providence1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 06:27 AM
link   

oblvion

No, it was 11.5 million light years. If you got a Type 1A supernova 11.5 ly away, we'd all be fricasseed.

top topics

join