It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conspiracy Theories are just entertainment?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   

SayonaraJupiter
reply to post by AccessDenied

Interesting OP and you got some nice responses, too! My view is, mankind is always locked in a battle with technology. Since TV is a technology like any other devised by mankind it can be used & abused often enough to cause concerns with the methods of how that technology is applied, generally.

To me television is one example of a medium for the expression of an idea. There is no question about the power of television... (before that movies... before that radio... 100 years ago when print was popular e.g. newspapers & magazines... before that pamphlets & gazettes... almanacs, digests, catalogs, etc) to influence human minds.

Can you imagine a world without any media at all? No stone tablets, no cave paintings, no scrolls of papyrus? Everything would have to be done facie ad faciem.

Not so long ago, these types of shows were few and far between. From Twilight Zone, to Unsolved Mysteries....now an explosion of shows, movies, etc, relating to cryptozoology, paranormal, ancient civilizations, aliens and ufo's, government secrecy and secret societies. I will not list individual titles, because I do not wish to give them publicity, but I'm sure even if many have unplugged from regular cable, you know of which I speak.

Now, I'll go little off the deep end....
There is a reason in the TV industry that TV folks call their products "programming". That's exactly what it is, a diverse selection of programs. The consumers of TV programs are of a different sort of relationship. There seems to be a blurry area of ambiguity between the actual content presented and the ability of the consumer to determine the actual validity of it.

In TV, a consumer receives the broad"cast" from the "net"work and consumes it in a way that is decided by the consumer. If it is news tv show the consumer is heavily reliant on the credibility of the "net"work. If it is an entertainment tv show the consumer has dropped all sense of incredulity and accepted the responsibility of "suspending his own disbelief" in order to be entertained.

This very important distinction causes the consumer (tv viewers in general) to have an ongoing love affair with the technology, the television, that satisfies a need to be informed and entertained. That's how info-tainment was born. Mythbusters being a modern example of info-tainment.

But what then happens when the consumer has been burned by TV? LBJ went on TV to tell America that a few small gunboats attacked US Navy vessels in the Gulf of Tonkin. That was a very powerful, powerful use of TV propaganda. It was so powerful that Congress immediately hastened to provide LBJ with every means necessary to defeat the Communist threat. We all know how the Viet Nam war panned out for the U.s.A. Was it a conspiracy of the military industrial complex? History is still being evaluated.

Agreeing with the OP I'd say conspiracy themed TV shows are not new. Certain genres of TV programming have always been popular: see police detective shows and of course, the two tv shows that OP mentioned. "From Twilight Zone, to Unsolved Mysteries" up to X-Files and Jesse Ventura's Conspiracy show.

Ventura's show is a perfect example of reality tv, mixed with information, conspiracy-as-entertainment. It's popular because TV viewers have changed since the Gulf of Tonkin. TV has evolved so far that there are channels dedicated to history, nature, animals, news, sport, drama, comedy, old shows, old movies, etc. Because there are more channels it is easier for the conspiracy shows to fill "programming" slots and easier for advertisers to get in on the action.

Are conspiracy-themed TV shows bad? Are they trending upward? Or are they simply a reflection of what the consumers want to see aided by the "programmers" zeal to sell more advertising?

Thank you for your input. I'm glad it got some gears churning. I suppose to me, it began as networks offering something "new" that created a trend that took off. Whether they got those ideas browsing sites like ATS, I can only speculate. Like I pointed out though...too many have jumped on the conspiracy bandwagon, and imho, tainted the water. Jesse Ventura, is a prime example. Loved him as a wrestler, hate him as a conspiracy theorist. To me, he is just using his past celebrity status, and political position as a former governor, just to keep his name "out there" by using a new trend. I doubt he has any serious interest in anything he puts on his show. I only watched a few episodes, enough to see he talks about a lot of stuff, but very little proof and questionable interviews with people who of course, seem off kilter, which aids in discrediting any serious researchers. William Shatner's Weird or What does the same thing.
Then of course, I can switch over to the military channel and mixed in with documentaries about current military maneuvers,and weaponry, is Nazi UFO, Secrets of Egypt, AREA 51. How on earth do I take theories as presented by the MILITARY channel??? I suppose it unrealistic to expect any kind of integrity towards programming on any given channel. LOL. I'll just have to search for truth on the interwebz.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   

AccessDenied

I suppose it unrealistic to expect any kind of integrity towards programming on any given channel. LOL. I'll just have to search for truth on the interwebz.

Truth on the interwebs.............

Where? The www. is more infected with trolls, charlatans, disinfo agents, outright fools, wrinkled neck geeks, con artists, prevaricators, fibbers, scoundrels, tricksters, hypocrites, miscreants, scallywags, bullys, deluded rascals, and reprobates than TV.

As a producer for our local cable access channel; we actually try our damndest to provide quality, truthful and entertaining content.

However I completely understand your disgust with cable and satellite programming. On occasion I also work for Discovery, History Channel and the Reels Channel.

Try your local cable access.....

www.fcc.gov...
edit on 1-3-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

I was posting out of sarcasm. I know there is little or no truth anywhere these days. Everybody speaks with opinion,but with little thought or fact behind it. As for local cable access....a complete joke programming wise,as I live in a remote part of Canada. Canadian programming is substandard at best,but around here more aimed at a target audience of shut ins and seniors.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   

I understand....about how some public access channels can be substandard. Perhaps you could become a producer and with your intellect and perspective on the world you change the Channel for the better and serve your community in the process. Our PA channel only broadcast free use content from the internet until a few of us decided to learn how to use the equipment and make socially relevant documentaries, dramas, music videos, and public address announcements for our local community. That experience has led my life into a direction I could only have dreamed of in the past. Blessed to be in the right place at the right time here in Tamalewood.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Olaru, I believe my intellect and perspective of the world would lead to such controversy,as to shut down any local cable,and thus render me unemployed...lol. I have learned between being a member here and through various situations in real life,that when I do choose to speak my mind,it goes wholeheartedly against the mainstream, even amongst the fringe thinkers. There are certain avenues in life,where being quiet,gets you further ahead...for a time. At this stage in my life,I would be more apt to spend the weekdays working for the Green Party,and weekends serving up soup at a Food Not Bombs gathering.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   

I'd like to see that title "conspiracy-THEORIST" changed to Conspiracy-REALIST" or "Conspiracy-PROPONENT"....especially when said person is a believer that the specific topic is not...after much study...only a "theory".

Getting others to do the research you have done, is the issue. You can wear yourself out trying to convince people some of them are real and based in fact.

I don't try anymore....I just SMILE.

edit on 09-22-2013 by mysterioustranger because: syntax

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   

I can switch over to the military channel and mixed in with documentaries about current military maneuvers,and weaponry, is Nazi UFO, Secrets of Egypt, AREA 51. How on earth do I take theories as presented by the MILITARY channel???

LOL. Join the Revolution and kill that television!!!

BTW, There are two different military channels owned by two different major networks, A&E and Discovery. Which one are you watching in Canada?

A&E:

A&E Television Networks, LLC (DBA A+E Networks and formerly also known as AETN) is an American media company that owns a group of television channels available via cable & satellite in the US and abroad. A&E stands for Arts & Entertainment.[3] The company is a joint venture between Hearst Corporation and Disney-ABC Television Group, a subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company. Source en.wikipedia.org...

Discovery:

Discovery Communications, Inc. is an American global mass media and entertainment company based in Silver Spring, Maryland. The company started as a single channel in 1985, The Discovery Channel. Today, DCI has global operations offering 28 network entertainment brands on more than 100 channels in more than 180 countries in 39 languages for over 1.5 billion subscribers around the globe.[1]

DCI both produces original television programming and acquires content from producers worldwide. This non-fiction and fiction programming is offered through DCI's 28 network entertainment brands, including Discovery Channel, Military Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, Discovery Fit & Health and a family of digital channels. DCI also distributes Random House and Random House Home Video to cable and satellite operators in the United States.

Despite being publicly traded on the NASDAQ stock exchange, the Newhouse family exercise the largest stake in the company, 31%, through privately held Advance Publications. Source en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by SayonaraJupiter

You know,I honestly didn't realize there was more than one military channel,and since I also have both A&E,and Discovery, I have no clue which one it is. I suppose the commercials advertising shows on either network would figure that out if I paid attention. As for tossing the tube, was only for the winter months as I'm not outdoorsy till spring,and we live in the middle of nowhere.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: AccessDenied

Yep, strangely enough.
All those writers and people from those shows.

They are getting their ideas, straight from the conspiracy theory pool!

As a writer you know as well as I do. Conspiracy theories are a GOLD mine!

While conspiracy is a whole different beast than, conspiracy theory.
many people get the two mixed up, and think any conspiracy must be a "theory"

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 08:15 AM
link   
A FEW MORE THOUGHTS

......The advent of conspiracy related entertainment on a wide scale, I believe, is now affecting the credibility of serious researchers and their findings in relation to any and all of the topics we discuss here on ATS. How would you feel if years of research became a movie of the week, with no credit to you? Not to mention the mockery of your findings after the fact because your truth just became Hollywood fiction?
Is this a conspiracy by mass media to discredit all we discuss here, by taking our theories and manipulating the masses with the “after school special “ version of such? How can you redirect that back to the facts?

Depends. ...What's your goal as a poster? Are you job searching? Trying to gain credibility for yourself or your own ideas and conclusions? Or just trying to get others to look at the world a little differently? Are you trying to benefit yourself, or trying to change the world one thinker at a time?

True - the 'professionals' are just looking for concepts and something to pitch - then script details and padding if the idea sells. True, the so-called 'balanced' reporting on the pseudo-documentaries is biased to the mainstream. But the 'ideas' wouldn't sell if that bias wasn't there. ....I do agree that many of the producers and writers are self-serving idiots who have no real understanding of the issues. At worst, they just get the ideas "out here" - but at best, they plant culture-changing memes.

True, the majority of viewers -maybe the vast majority- will retain only the bias presented. But others will think about it, maybe now, maybe later. The subject is established as worthy of attention, and the seeds are planted.

Personally, I am FAR more concerned about the corporate takeover of PBS, and the 'grassroots' legitimization of corporate culture and values.

PS. I do grind my teeth when I hear , " Oh yeah, I saw that on an episode of (insert tv show here)." Grr.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Well said.

I agree 100%.

When Transformers: Dark of the Moon came out, I said, "there goes all alien-structure-on-the-moon and apollo 11 conspiracies."

Since then, I notice it constantly... and I don't even watch TV. I shudder to think what goes on on TV these days.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   

No one cares about conspiracy "theories".

We care about corruption in authority and a effort to keep the corruption hidden.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Conspiracy theory hosts like Jessie and Alex are actually hurting the cause. Just like anything else we need leaders who are smart,trustworthy,honest and above all else serious in nature.

I remember getting into an argument with ATS staff about a year ago about a new video blog host and the slap stick approach that was being put forward. You reap what you sow. If you are going to take serious issues and make them a joke is it any wonder people will not believe the root idea. Many people said well this is how people want to get the news today...........Maybe that is why credibility is a thing of the past.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join