It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Church of Satan.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I read somewhere that people who really excel in the COS are elligable to join the Temple of Set, the real Satanist. That is, if they are of the right mindset and character. After joining the TOS no other membership in any organization is allowed.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Masonic Light

Originally posted by Pisky
I've read the Satanic Bible and actually found it entertaining.

I liked it better the first time I read it...when it was called "Thus Spake Zarathustra" by Friedrich Nietzsche.

YES! Best book ever! I'm going to sling a corpse over my shoulder and track down some animals to talk to.

To tell you the truth though, I never really thought about it being satanic in any way. Guess I'll have to read it again.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by TgSoe
I read somewhere that people who really excel in the COS are elligable to join the Temple of Set, the real Satanist. That is, if they are of the right mindset and character. After joining the TOS no other membership in any organization is allowed.

The Temple of Set and Church of Satan sort of hate each other, and do not allow members of the other group to join them.

The Temple of Set was founded in the '70's by a group of people who resigned from the Church of Satan in protest of some of Anton LaVey's policies (for example, LaVey made Sammy Davis, Jr. a satanic priest, which some members found ridiculous). From that time onward, there has been a huge feud between ToS and CoS, although both groups probably have less than a few hundred members worldwide. Members of the Temple of Set no longer consider themselves "Satanists"; they prefer to call themselves "Setians".

Here's their website:

www.xeper.org...

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna

YES! Best book ever! I'm going to sling a corpse over my shoulder and track down some animals to talk to.

Bwahahaha

To tell you the truth though, I never really thought about it being satanic in any way. Guess I'll have to read it again.

It's not "satanic" in the popular sense of the word, but is in the LaVeyan sense. Members of the Church of Satan are humanists and atheists, as was Nietzsche, whom they regard as a sort of satanic saint. LaVey's book "The Satanic Bible" is, at least in my opinion, a rip-off of Nietzsche, Herbert Spencer, and Aleister Crowley.

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 08:14 AM
link   

The Temple of Set was founded in the '70's

I found that site about two years ago and have read everything they have on the site including Michael Aquino's history of the church of Satan. Quite an interesting read a little over 400 pages. He said that Sammy Davis, never bit the bullet and joined the COS but frequented it often and was a friend of Aquino's. He said it was kind of sobering to leave Sammys life of glammor and riches and come back down to earth when he would visit him.

I agree with much of the Philosophy in the Satanic Bible, I'm not sure that vengeance is always laudable. Here in the real world any vengeance one takes would probably land him in jail. I suppose it matters to what level one has been offended.

When my children offend me I have found it affective to mirror the same offence as closely as I can. Sometimes people don't realise exactly what they just did and how it offended. For instance my small baby said," Mama doesn't Daddy have to go to work today." I fired back in vengeance and said," Ta, don't you have to go to school today." Her feelings were hurt as mine were but she could understand now exactly how I felt. Maybe the one who said an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth was right to start with.

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 11:19 AM
link   

The Temple of Set was founded in the '70's

I found that site about two years ago and have read everything they have on the site including Michael Aquino's history of the church of Satan. Quite an interesting read a little over 400 pages. He said that Sammy Davis, never bit the bullet and joined the COS but frequented it often and was a friend of Aquino's. He said it was kind of sobering to leave Sammys life of glammor and riches and come back down to earth when he would visit him.

I agree with much of the Philosophy in the Satanic Bible, I'm not sure that vengeance is always laudable. Here in the real world any vengeance one takes would probably land him in jail. I suppose it matters to what level one has been offended.

When my children offend me I have found it affective to mirror the same offence as closely as I can. Sometimes people don't realise exactly what they just did and how it offended. For instance my small baby said," Mama doesn't Daddy have to go to work today." I fired back in vengeance and said," Ta, don't you have to go to school today." Her feelings were hurt as mine were but she could understand now exactly how I felt. Maybe the one who said an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth was right to start with.

How can you show such vengeance to a child?!

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by MacKiller
[How can you show such vengeance to a child?!

Happy Holidays

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 04:50 PM
link   
eye for an eye, tut tut, indeed happy holidays or HAPPY CHRISTMAS EVERY1.

As for the Church of Satan, keep studying people keep studying.

All I have to say is Satan, Lucifer, Set, The light, supreme being, whatever you want to call It. Still lies and always will.

Deny the biggest of all evil, please people for your own sake.

May the true God go with you all, even if the dark one has its hold over you and alot of other people in this world.

THERE IS NO OTHER POWER STONGER THAN THE HOLY SPIRIT. NOT LUCIFER. NOT EVIL. NONE. period!

Stay strong people, stay focused

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 05:18 PM
link   

although both groups probably have less than a few hundred members worldwide.

ML, where exactly do you draw this information from? There are thousands of members of the CoS worldwide. It may be different for Set, but still, i know you aren't one to just assume, correct?

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by goregrinder

ML, where exactly do you draw this information from? There are thousands of members of the CoS worldwide. It may be different for Set, but still, i know you aren't one to just assume, correct?

I've seen several articles and statements that affirm this, including interviews from both Karla and Zeena LaVey. A Google search turned up this hit:

The myth-busting continues: The Satanic Bible was conceived by Avon Books to cash in on the occult faddism of the 1960s, and LaVey paraphrased much of it from books by Aleister Crowley and Ayn Rand and an obscure writing from 1896. According to an interview with the original producer of the film Rosemary's Baby, LaVey was not technical adviser, as he claimed, and not a single member of the cast or crew has ever mentioned LaVey's involvement. The Church's boast of having hundreds of thousands of members was wildly exaggerated; membership was never more than 300.

www.sfweekly.com...

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Does anyone know if Anton Lavey was a Mason originally? I don't recall any history on his occult life pryor to starting the COS in1966 other than of course his so called job with the circus and facination with the occult all his young life. He had to be trained somewhere to start something like that I would think.

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Who's this "Stan" guy ?

lol.

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Does anyone know if Anton Lavey was a Mason originally?

No, LaVey claimed that he was an atheist since his early teens.

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Can someone please tell me how the Church of Satan is Secret???

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by MacKiller

How can you show such vengeance to a child?!

Aw man it was no problem, sorry for the short responce, thanksgiving was a busy day with ham and turkey to cook. Actually I think I was getting on my daughters nerves as she was watching cartoons in the living room while I was practicing blues in the den on one of the kids keyboard. And I really get offended when folk don't want to hear me play man even if its the kids
hell the kids never want to hear me play come to think of it. A musician is without honor in his own home I guess and can do no great work there because of abundance of unbelief. Anyhow that was Friday come Monday they were out for thanksgiving holidays and I had to go to work. When I got home that night I don't think in all six of her years that I have seen her so glad to see me, she has always been a Mamma's baby.

The point is that the Satanic principle vengeance as opposed to turning the other cheek works on kids too, probably not in every situation of course but when you can apply it. I haven't figured out how to use it for them to keep thier rooms clean though. If you can't keep your rooms clean then the whole house is going to be a mess. Nah that wouldn't work.

Now I can't get my middle child to stop slapping my bald head hard cause she likes the way it sounds. She loves to get me while I'm on the computer. Smack! Well after about the thirtieth time of saying calmly ow that hurts don't do that, she still does it. There doesn't seem to be any stopping her.

[edit on 29-11-2004 by TgSoe]

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 06:13 AM
link   
I am curious as to when Satanist hold service.

1. Do they get up every sunday and worship the sun like the christians do are do they have like a friday evening service?

2. And is it open to the public, where one can go in, check it out and see if its for him?

3. Is it considered a secret society? Most secret societys deny any satanism whatsoever.

4. Is Satanism a family religion where children can attend the services much like the christian church?

I like much of its ideas and philosophys. This topic has spurred me to read the Satanic Bible again, this will make my 5th time. It seems like such a hateful religion or maybe its intended to appear that way because Satanist have been despised throughout the ages and forced to live in secrecy. Maybe they have a reason to be hateful. Maybe they are letting the christians know how it feels to be hated.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Encyclopedia entry for Church of Satan provided by Brittanica.com

counterculture group founded in the United States in the 1960s by Anton Szandor LaVey (1930-1997), born Howard Levy. Contrary to its name, the church does not promote evil but rather humanistic values.

enough said I guess... check the encyclopedia yer self if ya dont belive me.
but yeah, lot of "humanistic" values

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I once a wrote a research paper on the influence of modern Satanism in modern occultism, using the Church of Satan and Temple of Set as examples. I'm no true blue expert on the subject, but had found the following:

I am curious as to when Satanist hold service.

1. Do they get up every sunday and worship the sun like the christians do are do they have like a friday evening service?

In the late 1960's and early 1970's, the Church of Satan met periodically in San Francisco at the home of Anton Szandor LaVey, the church's high priest and founder. LaVey wrote a "black mass" that was often performed, as well as satanic baptism and wedding ceremonies.

2. And is it open to the public, where one can go in, check it out and see if its for him?

They were open to the public, but LaVey charged admission. I do not know if this is still the case.

3. Is it considered a secret society? Most secret societys deny any satanism whatsoever.

They are not considered a secret society; rather, it is a congregation of atheists and agnostics who believe that Christians are hypocrites, and invented an anti-Christian religion in order to protest.

4. Is Satanism a family religion where children can attend the services much like the christian church?

Actually yes, at least as far as the Church of Satan is concerned (but the Temple of Set requires its members to be at least 18).

In fact, LaVey performed a satanic baptism on his daughter Zeena when she was 6 years old, making her a member of the church. She is currently a satanic priestess, as is her sister Karla.

[edit on 29-11-2004 by Masonic Light]

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I myself have no problem with Satanists, as I am undecided on my religious beliefs, I feel that every person has the right to worship however they will. I personally despise hypocrites, and many of the Judeo-Christian religions are crawling with them (Though I'm not saying that those religions are hypocritical, only certain members of them), so I like the Church of Satan's stand on that point.

However, I have a question, about whether I was living near Satanists or not, and I think this thread would be appropriate to ask.

I lived across the street from an apparant Satanic Church up until about a month ago. They performed services on the nights full moons, eclipses and other astrological events. Reports from the neighbors said that they were sometimes outside chanting in white robes, and other times, the head priestess would be dancing around in a black g-string. I really don't know what to make of this, but there is more.

One night, some of their followers drove up with a mattress on the top of the car, and took it inside. I'm not sure what to make of this either. The only conclusion I can draw is that they're a bunch of swingers, but I have a little trouble completely believing that (Though I wouldn't be surprised if it were true.)

Apparantly, their sermons are quoted from the Bible. At one time they left a pamphlet on my car window quoting anti-homosexual remarks from the bible, with the picture of a tarot card on the front.

Altogether, they were making some pretty generous donations to the church, as I was able to gather from listening to their conversations by their car. But they were bloody rude. They once parked in front of our freakin' driveway, then tried to start a fist-fight with my father when he told them to move their car.

Judging by all that, (I know the last paragraph is pretty useless, but it's there, anyway) can anyone tell me if these sound like Satanists or just a miscellaneous witch-coven?

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I like the Church of Satan actually. Respect it, rather. I think the CoS is basically for those who don't wanna hold themselves back want to completely indulge their dark side. They certainly do not worship Satan. Devil worship is VERY different. Radically different, almost.

The thing is, how come they are so against Christianity? Why not all religions in general? CoS seems to direct everything against Christianity.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join