It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The use of All Caps - ALL MEMBERS READ PLEASE

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Recently I’ve noticed an increase in the use of all capitalized typing in thread titles and posts. I understand that many feel it will bring more attention to their threads and posts but this is not allowed and is against ATS posting etiquette. The use of ALL-CAPS is reserved for the ATS administration to make its members aware of important board business and announcements. So please don’t use ALL-CAPS when posting to this discussion board. Thank you...

General Hints and Tips

4) Most of all, do not use ALL CAPS in posts and thread titles.

ABOUT ATS: General ATS discussion etiquette

[edit on 27-9-2006 by kinglizard]

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Bumped for relevance

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Isn't the use of ALL caps online the equivalent of shouting of shouting IRL?

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe

Yes, thats why most boards dont like it when people use ALL CAPS. It makes us scared

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe

Yeah many people consider it yelling and take offence. It’s also difficult to read when an entire sentence or paragraph is capitalized.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 05:49 PM
link   
OKAY HERMAN! I HEAR YOU. SORRY FOR ANY INDISCRETIONS IN THIS AREA BUT I'VE BEEN TALKING TO ETHEL AND SHE CAN'T HEAR GOOD. I HAVE TO YELL EVERY TIME I SAY SOMETHING!

[edit on 1-15-2005 by Valhall]

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 06:04 PM
link   
oh my.......NOW Im all a'skeered of VallHall.....she yells loud! Im gunna go hide under a comforting blankey now.......

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I'm pleased that the mods are on the ball with this kind of thing because writing in all caps
IS A COMPLETE PAIN IN THE ARSE TO READ !!! (especially if you expand the font size too
)
And yes, I do believe its the net equivalent of shouting.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Writting in ALL CAPS is conciderd SHOUTING in Email letters, and in chatrooms as well as all message boards......I understand the occasional CAPPED word for stress of a subject....but every dang thing they write?

It chaps my hide to see some person who cant seam to get any attention by being witty, or brilliant in what they have to say and just resort TO WRITTING IN ALL CAPS SO THEY WILL BE PAID ATTENTION TO.......in chatrooms I can tell a person they are shouting, and the usuall response is that they cant read all that well and need glasses.....What I do NOT understand about that response is, dont they know what it is that they wrote? Wouldnt it make more sense to ask the OTHER posters to write in ALL CAPS so they can read them?
Come on...cant people be interesting enough by what they have to say instead of resorting to YELLING IT @ EVERYBODY???????

Please...gimme a break....

Ok Im done ranting now. Sorry about the CAPS.

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 08:05 AM
link   
::::
ancing around in circles:::::

I'm so glad this is being addressed! It's a real peeve of mine!

Thanks Lizard!

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Agreed, i dont like the whole LETS PUT MY THREAD IN CAPS SO EVERYONE CAN SEE IT AS IT STANDS OUT. It really gets on my nerves to be honest, plus the first posts in threads which say THE US GOVERNMENT IS LYING TO US. ALIENS ARE HERE AND EVERYWHERE, I CAN SEE THEM NOW AND I HAVE PROOF THAT THEY ARE HERE.

Or this typical thread..

MY FRIENDS,FRIENDS,FRIENDS,FRIENDS,FRIENDS,DADS,DADS,DADS USE TO WORK FOR THE GOVERNMENT IN A TOP,TOP,TOP,SECRET FACILITY AND USE TO WORK WITH ALIENS AND STUFF.YEAH IM NOT LYING. I BELIEVE HIM 10000000% AND HE CAN BE TRUSTED. HE HAS LOTS OF EVIDENCE AND STUFF, BUT I DUNNO WHERE IT IS.

stuff like this, makes me head hit the monitor and scream just like like a banshee. really, this needs to be cut out. So i have taken it upon myself to help members locate this special button that i call "caps lock". Make sure its off.

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
I'VE BEEN TALKING TO ETHEL AND SHE CAN'T HEAR GOOD.

WHAT WAS THAT, MABEL? I CAN BE NEAR FOOD, YOU MUST BE SENILE! QUIT MUMBLING, YOU OLD BAG!

*ahem*

MacKiller seems to have brought up a pet peeve shared by a good number of people here. We've ("we" being mod-types) tried to do our best to correct subject lines in all-caps as they come up, but they've been coming up pretty often lately. Perhaps it's lack of awareness on a new poster's part; hopefully a discussion on the subject will educate a few people.

Originally posted by infinite
stuff like this, makes me head hit the monitor and scream just like like a banshee

Ooooh, me too!

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 01:21 PM
link   
How did my name get thrown into this conversation?
I guess I can contribute something...

Seven sixteenths of one inch: That's the distance you'd have to move your pinky in order to not sound like an idiot.

[edit on 16/1/05 by MacKiller]

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 09:07 AM
link   
*bump*

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 12:25 PM
link   
CAPS LOCK? WHAT THE HELL IS CAPS LOCK?? YOU GUYS ARE WEIRD...

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by wecomeinpeace
CAPS LOCK? WHAT THE HELL IS CAPS LOCK?? YOU GUYS ARE WEIRD...

its a button on your keyboard....

its pretty hard to miss....

JAK

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 09:05 AM
link   
*Chuckles*

Lol Wcip.

Jack

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 09:12 AM
link   
WE LOVE CAPS LOCK!!

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 10:12 AM
link   
*bump*

Haven't seen alot of caps lately,
but its still there now and again...

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 06:53 AM
link   
::::Bumping:::::

People just keep doing it...I can never understand "why" they do it.....whays the big deal with capping the whole damn thing or a word or two...grrrrrrrr

Aaaaaaaaaaaanyway

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join